• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100 Cafe Racer Build Thread R100CCR

R100RT paralever hub to monolever final drive

Picked up the rear GS hub. Used the Y cast hub/wheel as a guide and here it is.
Need to bolt it up to check fit -- tonight. Then off to Cyclops to build the wheels!

Few more picks of Bobby at Layne Machine Works at work. Cost- $80.

http://bit.ly/ClymerFlatRacerPhotoAlbum

Attachments

• Doc2.jpg
    Doc2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 189
What exactly are you having modified on the lathe? Yeah, I see it is the hub, but what is being done?

Not so fast my friend.....

Well the now machined paralever GS hub didn't match up so slick with the monolever final drive. The mating surface machine work was spot on per my measurements and all my super smart factoring :thumb

However, I failed to account for the fact that the spoked hub has the spoked boss area extending inward that the mono hub does not. The darn thing's nubbers hit the raised groove.

Well what's a build without a little drama? Taking into account that the spokes mount here, I proceeded over to the bench grinder and carefully whacked off the nubs. Then cleaned them up with a file so roughly 4 mm at the inner part and 1 mm near the out diameter is gone.

I was still getting some interference at one spot on the final drive and with a straightedge noted that this spot was higher. Since this wasn't a critical tolerance on the original setup, I suppose the manufacturing was a bit 'loose' here. So I used the 1/8 shaft diegrinder to even it up.

Considering the overall mass of the area where the two spokes mount, I don't believe I've compromised the integrity in any significant way by removing this small amount. I'll discuss carefully with master wheel man and see what he thinks before building the wheel. Didn't matter much to try this at this point, since the hub was machined. (disclaimer--proceed with caution whenever altering a factory design. Especially something as critical as wheel).

More pics here: http://bit.ly/ClymerFlatRacerPhotoAlbum

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the cleavage. Nice looking project too. If that is your wife holding that Clymer manual, sorry I stared. Kudos, buddy.:bolt

Thanks for the link to the cleavage. Nice looking project too. If that is your wife holding that Clymer manual, sorry I stared. Kudos, buddy.:bolt

Clymer Girl!!! I've put her to work in the shop. She thinks the blasting cabinet is fun. And the one that demanded the R80 seat get swapped out. :heart

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 338
Really liking this build thread.

I only joined the forum recently so going back and reading earlier posts.

Can't wait to see the finished product. :eat

Really liking this build thread.

I only joined the forum recently so going back and reading earlier posts.

Can't wait to see the finished product. :eat

Thanks!! I've got some ideas on how to use video in it that I think will be fun and interesting. I hope I can get the project done and all that without it dragging on and on. I wanna ride it!

Rule #1. Always have another bike to ride before beginning restoration.

Jim says no problem with my minor modification to the rear hubs by grinding a small bit of material away. Got a lecture on spoke design and where the stress points are.

Back in the shop took a second and cleaned up the hubs in the blasting cabinet with glass beads. Quick and easy and they look great.

Picked up this cabinet at a Harbor Freight sale. For what you can get done vs cost, wish I had one a long time ago. http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-93608.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&hft_adv=40010&mr:trackingCode=5A740F9E-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

The parts have still not arrived from Buchanan's. Another nice weekend, so I didn't get much done. Installed the /5 bar on the R80 and then took the NX650 for a gravel ride and tested out the GoPro Hero HD camera.

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Wheel Build Begins

Parts arrived so I headed over to Jim's with the hubs at lunch. A 3 1/2 Sun rim on the rear, with a 2 3/4 upfront.

For grins we weighed the rear cast wheel at 14 lbs-3 oz. It will be interesting to see what the GS based hub/Sun rim/spoke combo comes in at. The spokes are made to order on this.

Of course we'll have to add a tube to that, since we are not using the original GS rim setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 270
Yeah

It's a darn dirty job.

But somebody has got to do it! Coming along nicely, can't wait to see the final product, you will beat us to the finish line for sure as far as end of project goes, but that is OK, it is the middle of winter her in North Dakota and my bike is 2000 miles away. Have a great weekend and thanks again,

Shane

Clymer BMW Performance Chapter

As I plan this project out, I've been looking at a lot of possibilities. There is so much good information here on the MOA and other forums also. However, I've also been going back through my magazine collection and also pulled out one of the very first bits of info published on modifying BMWs for performance. The Clymer manual's performance chapter. While much has changed, new suppliers and new ideas, the fundamentals go back to what Reg Pridmore did on his amazing run.

"I look back on what we achieved by our success on that bike," reflects Pridmore. "I beat a lot of the bad boys and the Japanese and Italian factories. It made a lot of people sit up and say, 'On a BMW?' "
(http://motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=256)

Written in collaboration with Pridmore and long out of print, I thought the members might like it as a resource and/or interesting read.

Of course disclaimer: This material is provided for historical reference only. It was originally published in the Clymer BMW R-Series manual in the late 1970ÔÇÖs. The publisher makes no endorsement of the recommendations or the products/manufacturers/suppliers contained herein.

http://bit.ly/ClymerBMWPerformanceChapter

Back