• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

k1600GTL Tires

Tire change

I had the Metz Z8 on the bike when it was purchased. Great tire, very sticky dry or wet. These only lasted 6k though.

After research and talking to a couple BMW shops I put on B-stones Battlax BT 023 GT's. After a 15 day ride putting just under 5k on them, I found they also feel good in dry or wet conditions. Front shows very little wear and back at 90%+.

These tires get a regular work-out on CA Hwy 74. The Palms to Pines road, as it's called, starts at 233 ft elevation with a nice series of twisties (9 switchbacks) which takes you up to approx 4,800+ ft elevation in about 17 miles. Than ride back roads of SoCal (San Diego Co.) for 200-300 miles, than come back down Hwy 74 twisties.

Dealer says they are seeing many K1600GTL owners are replacing with the B-stones BT 023 GT tires and are hearing positive feedback. With about 8k miles I can attest these tires Stick, Feel, and Wear well.

The new PR4's (GT) are boasting an additional 20% longevity over the PR3's. So they may now come close to the longevity of the PR2 but with the additional wet weather traction of the 3's.

PR's Rule!

The new PR4's (GT) are boasting an additional 20% longevity over the PR3's. So they may now come close to the longevity of the PR2 but with the additional wet weather traction of the 3's.

PR's Rule!

I replaced the stock Metzlers ( which were OK at best) on my K1300GT with the P3s and I was amazed at the improvement in all types of handling.. wet and dry. I put ~6k driven hard and put away wet trouble free miles on them when I traded her in.
Since then I have moved awn up to a deluxe apt in the sky with my K1600GT. The OEM Metzlers are ok at 3k mikes and I anticipate an additional 2-4k more before the inevitable.

The PR4s look promising and in my experience, with the 3s, looking forward to the change. But, has anyone actually mounted and can speak to the experience with these on the K1600GT beast?

K1600GTL tires

Got 7800 miles out of my stock Metzlers. Planning a trip from Jackson Springs, NC to Alaska in early June. Been doing a lot of research on tires, because I don't want to buy tires in Alaska. My dealer (Carolina BMW) suggests the new Michelin PR 4s. Hopefully I can complete the 12,000 mile round trip on those.

Got 7800 miles out of my stock Metzlers. Planning a trip from Jackson Springs, NC to Alaska in early June. Been doing a lot of research on tires, because I don't want to buy tires in Alaska. My dealer (Carolina BMW) suggests the new Michelin PR 4s. Hopefully I can complete the 12,000 mile round trip on those.

Hope you post a trip thread with pics! :). A father / son combo did this last summer on a GTL and another bike and they got a flat on way home. I think if it was me I'd look into staging a pair somewhere within easy shipping distance of your route as a precaution.

Just my .02 and probably not worth that.

Good luck,
Dave

Picking up my riding buddy's brother in Olympia, WA for the ride on up to Alaska. May be a good location to stash a couple of tires for the ride back to NC just in case. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to post a trip thread with pics

I'd never make 12K on a set of tires. I'd plan ahead on having a set installed somewhere around the 8k mark. A little prior planning and this shouldn't be too difficult.

Some peeps just get better mileage out of tires period. I'm going to the PR4's as well, heck if I get 8-10K I will be a happy camper. You say 12K is needed for your round-trip, hmmm... well maybe. Since they are new?, nobody really knows for sure. Since 6K is your halfway point, I would bet dollars to doughnuts you'll least get back out of Alaska before needing new sneakers, and who knows, you may make it all the way back.

Wish you a great trip, and most of all, tread lightly ;) ...hey, but ya have to have fun too!, right?

My 2013 GTL came with Metzler Z8's last June. I replaced them in October at 3,870 miles due to uneven wear, scalloping.

Put on Michelin PR3's with B spec rear. So far only 1,100 miles but a much better feeling set of tires. More responsive, smoother ride.

My 2013 GTL came with Metzler Z8's last June. I replaced them in October at 3,870 miles due to uneven wear, scalloping.

Put on Michelin PR3's with B spec rear. So far only 1,100 miles but a much better feeling set of tires. More responsive, smoother ride.

Why P3s and not 4s? :scratch

I have gone through 3 sets of tires, the factory Mez Z8 and then switched to the Michelin PR3 B spec and the lasted much better but still only maxed out at 13,000km which would be about 8000 miles

check out k1600 forum too for more feedback, but most folks run P3's or Roadsmart 2's; the latter is my choice but I haven't tried, nor felt the need to, the Pilots; if you do, P4's might be better if you do more 2up riding

K1600 GTL Tires

I'm nursing my Metzlers through 6K. Up'ed tire pressure to 50/50 and seems to help with the cupping. I used to get 12K+ on my much heavier K-LT on Metzlers ME 880. I don't ride hard Going to the PR-4's as soon as they come in.

Watch those metzlers close, mine went from perfect looking to showing cords in less than 75 miles. (3874 miles total)

K1600 Tires

any opinions on tire replacement for street riding. bike came with bridgestones and need to be replaced at 12,000 miles

You did great! I have been using Michelin Pilot Road 3 and Metzler tires on my GTL and while they are great performance tires, I've been getting only 5,000 miles. How did the Bridgestone perform?

After 5k miles the Stones that came on my GTL were shot so I went to PR3s the first set went 12k miles the next set went 9k miles. I was going to get a set of PR4GTs but they were on back order so I put a set of Perilli Angel GTs. I've only put 1500 miles on them but so far they are by far the quietest ,softest and best handling tires I've ever had on a bike. Time will tell as to wear.
Tom

Back