• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

k1600GTL Tires

ashley12

any opinions on tire replacement for street riding. bike came with bridgestones and need to be replaced at 12,000 miles

On page 5 of the Nov ON is an ad for MaxBMW and a feature of tires available for each model. I tried it a few minutes ago and it only lists one rear tire currently, which is a Metz Z8...or my computer is loading very slowly.
. The magazine ad shows a 12RT and several brands and full product info

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?menu=aftermarket&vid=53246

Any manufacturer that meets the size listed in your owners manual will work. Michelin Pilot Road 3's are in the same category as the Metzeler.
Depends on how you ride and in what type weather as well and everyone has their favorites.

You got 12,000 miles from a pair of tires!!!!!! I would put those Bridgestones back on. I got Metz. Z8s They get very lumpy at 3,000 miles. Will try Mich. Road Pilot 3 next.

I was getting about 8000 miles a set out of the dunlop roadsmarts on my 1150RT. They worked very well in all weather conditions. I am finishing the buying process of my new 1600gt through the mail now. My bike is in WA and I am working in Hawaii till the end of Dec. Hoping for a wet not white christmas so I can play with my new toy that will be waiting for me in my garage.
I will probably use the roadsmarts again or try the pilot road 3's, unless something better turns up.

K1600GTL Tires

any opinions on tire replacement for street riding. bike came with bridgestones and need to be replaced at 12,000 miles

Yeah, 12,000 miles on your first set of tires on a 1600? Must be breaking the bike in real, real slow?
:scratch

Well, there's something to highlight about this new model.

I ride a heavier K1200LT. I just put my second set of Avon Storm II Ultra's on. Love those tires. Had Metzler's before. The Avons are much stickier. Got just over 9,000 miles on the rear, and 10,000 on the front.

I've been running the Michelin Pilots for the last 3 tire sets on my K1200RS. They are great tires, they will be my next set again.

Rick
'99 K1200RS (the fast one)
'08 R1200GS

At 12k on your tires you are way ahead of most out there.

I got 5500 out of the Metzlers and they had to be replaced. Mostly highway miles and I don't ride hard.

I had to replace them with the same because no one could get me the Pilot Road 3s at the time I needed replacement.

I have a new set of PR3s in my garage for next change. Good reports on them from those running them now. Hopefully there will be better mileage reposrt on the PR3s.

I've been running the Michelin Pilots for the last 3 tire sets on my K1200RS. They are great tires, they will be my next set again.

Rick
'99 K1200RS (the fast one)
'08 R1200GS

I'm on my second set on a K1300S. Even with a track day, that last pair got 12,500 out of 'em and still had another 1,500 to go but I was planning a trip and needed new tread before I left.

You got 12,000 miles from a pair of tires!!!!!! I would put those Bridgestones back on. I got Metz. Z8s They get very lumpy at 3,000 miles. Will try Mich. Road Pilot 3 next.

Hi Furman,
I had Metz Z8 and only got 3080 miles out of them, Patches of chord showing all the way around. Handeled Great loved the tire ,just wore out too soon. Then I put Road Pilot 3 on it and have put 900 miles on them, and they are showing cupping pretty bad allready. Showed the dealer ( did not purchase them from dealer) and the dealer said that the road pilot tire wasnt designed for that heavy of a bike. :( I would rethink the Pilot 3's.
Comments Please.

2012 GTL

Last edited:
Any manufacturer that meets the size listed in your owners manual will work. Michelin Pilot Road 3's are in the same category as the Metzeler.
The size is only one of the three important specification's to be met when looking for a tire. The weight & speed rating should also meet the manufacturer's specification.

k1600gtl rear tire

Replacing rear tire on my k1600gtl today. 12,000+ miles. Bike has been traveled across the country. Using stock Bridgestone tire. Front tire not even close to needing replacement, will use same. Peace

Replacing rear tire on my k1600gtl today. 12,000+ miles. Bike has been traveled across the country. Using stock Bridgestone tire. Front tire not even close to needing replacement, will use same. Peace

Based on your mileage I want to order a set of these Bridgestone to replace the Metzler Z8 that came on my GTL. Can you provide details regarding the specific model of Bridgestones?

tires

yah round ones with air in them as long as there not made in china

Michelin PR3's went on my 1600 GT yesterday what a difference, I'll be happy to get 6k miles out of them, who would have thought a 1600 was a sport bike

If you don't get 6k please send me your GPS tracks as I think I'd like those routes. 5k on second set and they have tons of life left in them. Swapped prior set @ 7k because I had long trip planned. (Had at least another 1k in them before hitting wear bars)

Tire Time

Today will be new rear tire time on my GTL (original tire). I always maintain proper tire pressure and my bike is primarily two up touring and the occasional trailer pulling. I just started seeing the cord and my rear has 8.5k miles on it. I think that's pretty good so I am putting the stock tire back on as my replacement.

Back