• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hill Country Weekend

H-Town Kruzer said:
ANy of you guys planning on going to the BMW gathering in the Hill Country the week of April 11th thru the 17th? I am debating on whether or not to scrub work and go :)

I wish, I wish, I wish, I wish. But no. :doh

Thanks so much for the report. Kudos. Very well done. Thanks as well for the inspiration to go ahead and purchace a digital camera. Your great story makes me want to share the fun I have been having too.

Half Day?

username said:
i won't be there, i'm headed out for a trip the 20th and need to get caught up on work and home tasks before bailing. i'm halfway tempted to ride out for a half day visit, but i'll just have to see how it goes. they look like a fun group.

You're thinking about riding out for a half day??? Where are you lokated. If I tried to make it out there to ride... sheesh, just making it out there would be a half day ride :)

I want to go soooooo freakin' bad. The Texas Hill Country becomes like a virus that you just can not get rid of. I have been watching videos from ridebehindvideo.com just wishing that I could find roads like the guys ride in Cali. Then on my first trip (the one you are reading about) BAM! All those pennies in the wishing well finally paid off!!! My only problem is finding a way to get time off. I own a business on the side of my regular day job, so neglecting it is not neccesarily the best idea... But A Man on a Motorcycle has gotta do what a Man on a Motorcycles gotta do :)

We'll see...

H-Town Kruzer said:
You're thinking about riding out for a half day??? Where are you lokated. If I tried to make it out there to ride... sheesh, just making it out there would be a half day ride :)

the day is 24 hours long. ;)

i'm in austin. i can be in kerrvile pretty quickly. say hello to some folks, zip down 16 to bandera, then wind my way back up through boerne and a few other places and whammo im home. i've done that as a day trip several times, and the trick is to make Pretty Good Time there and back, and then when in that area, chill out and ride those roads nice and smooth and enjoy myself.

from houston it's way more of a ride, and a really dull ride until you get to san antonio. in your situation, i would want it to be an overnight.

by the way, am i the only one who noticed the dude who is working in the yard while you guys are all suited up and ready to go? that is hilarious. "we're going for a ride. remember, GREEN SIDE UP, beeyatch!" :D

Attachments

• worker.jpg
    worker.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 59
Don't forget about the mulch

Dude... We have been waiting for someone to notice that. We laughed our @$$es off about that guy being in the pic.

You ever make it to Giddings? There is a BBQ place... Uhhh, City Meat Market that has some of the best damn butcher paper BBQ I have ever had!

Anyway, I am going to see what I can do. I've tried keeping up with those K1200RS' before, and lowe and behold, I think I have the jewels to do it. Then again, I hear that this ride has turned from a K1200RS rally to a straight out Beemer rally. Maybey I can tear out on Thursday, ride on Friday, then be back on Saturday for my gig???

H-Town Kruzer said:
You ever make it to Giddings? There is a BBQ place... Uhhh, City Meat Market that has some of the best damn butcher paper BBQ I have ever had!

we used to mountain bike and camp at bluff creek ranch near la grange, and we always stopped at the city meat market in elgin and filled up on sunday on the way home. the worst for me was being stuffed with bbq, then seeing someone walk by with one of those blue bell ice cream cones. of course i'd get one, and then waddle out to the car. :D

H-Town Kruzer said:
Anyway, I am going to see what I can do. I've tried keeping up with those K1200RS' before, and lowe and behold, I think I have the jewels to do it. Then again, I hear that this ride has turned from a K1200RS rally to a straight out Beemer rally. Maybey I can tear out on Thursday, ride on Friday, then be back on Saturday for my gig???

ride your ride, ride smooth. who cares if theyre faster, meet up with them at the end of the day and bench race. :thumb

H-Town Kruzer said:
Then again, I hear that this ride has turned from a K1200RS rally to a straight out Beemer rally.

You bet it has and there's my bike to prove it . I went last year and it was a blast except for late Saturday when a hail storm blew in and on Sunday it was a steady cold rain all the way back to Dallas.

The Hotel they use in Kerville is pretty good(Inn of the Hills) since it's the kind where your room door faces the parking lot and you can park your bike right outside your room.

This shot is the front of the place. The dinner buffet there isn't bad either.

Attachments

• Kerville.jpg
    Kerville.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
One issue down there is low roads that flood in the spring time from all the rains. The water is deceiving in that it's moving pretty quick and it can be deeper than you think. I've heard in the summer it can have algae on the bottom making it slick as well. Time to get out the GS !! Approach those spots with caution.

Also, there's a cop near Leakey on 337 that lives every day to catch riders speeding through his area. So much so, if you bring back a speeding ticket to the rally, the other riders will say "You got caught by Officer Sanchez" without even reading your ticket. I hear the guy's a real D^*k so there's no talking your way out of it either. It's purely sport for this guy.

Attachments

• 337 low road.jpg
    337 low road.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 45
Looks can be deceiving. Notice the wheels of Ford pick up truck.

Attachments

• DSC00132.jpg
    DSC00132.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 44
Cool stuff! I just this past weekend made my first Hill Country trip. How did I manage to live in TexSux for seven years and not get down that way??? Excellent riding with a buddy from Austin. We were there under the guise of an Airheads Beemer Club campout but we spent little time with those guys. I did meet a fellow MOA Forum user around the campfire (who asked if I was indeed The Veg and why I call it TexSux) but did not catch his name (speak up...).
It hurts though that Dallas is far enough away to have to make a real trip of it to truly savour the experience. I will post a report just as soon as my tripmate makes his pictures available to me (since he took more and probably better ones than I).

Back