• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

National Rally Location

Come on folks , bring the rally back to NC. and just leave it there. :eat

Ya'll know we have the best roads since ya'll are always riding here anyway.:doh

Besides, we need the money ya'll spend at rally's. :D

*where* in NC? (or, i should say, WNC)

i can't find a suitable facility there to save my life.

ian

Old Watauga County Fairgrounds

*where* in NC? (or, i should say, WNC)

i can't find a suitable facility there to save my life.

ian

I taught at ASU and still have some contacts there.

The old fairgrounds have been sold and turned into an entertainment venue. I will make a couple of calls.

The university has first rate facilities and there is not shortage of rooms and campgrounds in the area.

Maybe over a bit south of Asheville ?

Henderson has a fairly large fair ground complex .
Just a thought.

My bad. I wrote that as if everyone knew NC geography.

Watauga County is the county in which Boone, NC and Appalachian State University are located.

It is easily reached via I-77 / Highway 421 from the East and I-81 from the West.

There are plenty of campgrounds in the vicinity as well as a wealth of motes/cabins and seasonal rentals. University housing is also available and we have used it for conferences, etc. over the years.

Just my two cents

I grew up in Florida. Lived there for 33 years then moved north in 2005 and never looked back. I found riding a motorcycle in Florida to be very boring (north, south, east, west, and very flat). The only curves were the cul-de-sac's. Then there's Daytona Bike Week and Biketober fest each year. Those got old after a few times. There are so many other beautiful locations around the US for the National Rally.

I taught at ASU and still have some contacts there.

The old fairgrounds have been sold and turned into an entertainment venue. I will make a couple of calls.

The university has first rate facilities and there is not shortage of rooms and campgrounds in the area.

If you would PM me, I'd like to follow up on this.

I am also in extended search mode at another university in the region.... :evil

Maybe over a bit south of Asheville ?

Henderson has a fairly large fair ground complex .
Just a thought.

That's the NC Agricultural complex... I've visited that facility... not enough exhibit space for our requirements, nor a large enough place for our closing ceremonies.

Fairly short on air-conditioned space in general.

Watauga County is the county in which Boone, NC and Appalachian State University are located.

It is easily reached via I-77 / Highway 421 from the East and I-81 from the West.

There are plenty of campgrounds in the vicinity as well as a wealth of motes/cabins and seasonal rentals. University housing is also available and we have used it for conferences, etc. over the years.

I have combed this area extensively and have not found any place with enough exhibit space.

With money being tight, more and more universities are interested in our event. if you have any contacts with folks up at ASU, please PM me and I will follow up.

all of these areas are the "right" kind of location.... but between the space requirements and those for our beer garden, the pickins are very slim.

ian

I am fairly new to the group so forgive me if this has been answered before, but why Sedalia MO out in the middle of nowhere with even fewer good roads to ride than other places......it is after all the plains.........just wondering.

It would be great if something could be found. It's only 54 miles from Johnson City so the riding, people, etc would be very similar.

I am fairly new to the group so forgive me if this has been answered before, but why Sedalia MO out in the middle of nowhere with even fewer good roads to ride than other places......it is after all the plains.........just wondering.

Browse a few threads and it's discussed...yearly as to the why's and where's of site selections.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=54913

For many, the ride to the Rally is the adventure. Some folks get there and never venture out. Some years the location is centered around fantastic riding, other times it's not so much. And all of Missouri is not the plains, The Ozarks are not that far to the south for example.

Personally, I think this is a great location! I might think otherwise if I was the "slab it there and back" sort, but for me it's more of a "how can I see and do as much as possible on my way there and back" sort of fellow. Besides, if I slabbed or made the mistake of passing up too many good swimming holes Barley might refuse to ride with me anymore! That boy has definitely changed my traveling style toward the fun end of the spectrum.

b82854b4.jpg

The dogs know

Some of you need to take a tip from your dogs and simply enjoy the ride and make plenty of stops to explore the sights and smells.

Attachments

• Sugah swimming.jpg
    Sugah swimming.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 241
Let's return to Johnson City, Tn. I never finished riding all of those roads.

I met Kemosabe at the Johnson City Rally along wth several other Chromeheads. A nicer person would be hard to imagine. TN has great roads, marvelous food, and a rich History.

i just returned from riding out there, and honestly, had the same mental picture.

however.... the riding is much better that you'd expect. there are a number of good roads, both paved and unpaved within minutes of the site. one can take a tour down to the Lake of the Ozarks area and back in an easy half-day.

that said, i can't say i'd make Sedalia a destination for riding.... but at least it doesn't suck. And the entire southern half of Missouri is excellent riding, especially dual-sport. And then there is Arkansas..... :burnout

important to know: the Missouri State Fairgrounds is an *excellent* facility... folks should be real happy with this place.

ian

I met Kemosabe at the Johnson City Rally along wth several other Chromeheads. A nicer person would be hard to imagine. TN has great roads, marvelous food, and a rich History.

Yep. This is a great area to retire to, especially if you ride motorcycles. The roads and people are great with moderate weather and your retirement income goes a long way. We are getting more and more "halfbacks" (northern folks who moved to Florida and didn't like it and moved halfway back where it is cool or warm rather than very hot or very cold)

Back