• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

centerstand vs kickstand for parking

one of the first things I "learned" is that you park your bike according to the terrain available, and factor in all the other...well, gee...factors. Is the wind blowing really hard? Do you want to check your oil when you come back? are you trying to fill your tank? is the ground uneven? Are you attaching one of your rain fly ties? Is the ground soft? Are there a whole bunch of other bikes parked side by side? Leaving it for five months, five hours or five minutes? are you strong enough to get it there and back to riding position? might a cager bump into it?can you load/unload your bags? do you need to see something on the right side better?does the smoke from your k bike annoy you? do you want to start it and warm it up with the sidestand up?wanna check you hair in one of the mirrors?

:laugh That is some busy parking routine you got going on there! :laugh :laugh

I just look at the ground first and the rest is pretty random. :D

Occasionally I have to move. :p

All this talk of center stands reminds me of a hot summer night. 1978 . Rte. 495 north to Hampton beach. Me on a 1975 Norton 850, friends on Triumphs,Harleys and many Jap bikes,about a dozen of us in all. We were all doing about 80 MPH standing on our center stands, oh what a show. Mass. state trooper not impressed. Long story short, he got a call and had to leave in a hurry, that was the end of that lecture. Had to buy new center stand when I restored bike years later. Side stand worked for 30+ years.

My 2005 Rockster Owners Manual says to fuel up on the side stand. I used the center stand until one day I saw the note about the side stand in the manual. Seemed to work ok either way. Dunno???

BMW wants you to use the side stand to fill the tank, to lessen the chance that you will over-fill the tank and leak fuel into charcoal canister or on the ground.

Fill your bike up on the side stand then put it on the center stand and see how much more you can get in there. It is surprising.

When I gas up anywhere the pumps may be a long ways in between I gas up on my center stand. Those extra miles sometimes come in handy!

Why yes, filling up is "maintenance," now isn't it?

Correcting an empty tank problem.

i use my sidestand most of the time. i added one of those bolt on pads to increase the footprint. when fueling, i'm usually sitting on the bike so i can hold it upright. i usually just use the centerstand for maintenance or to save garage space.

Wow, lots of posts with nothing but opinions. You know your bike, you know how its loaded, you know the surface you are parking on. Park it on which ever stand you feel the most comfortable with for the set of circumstances.

Now for the big question. Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it? I think it depends on whether you are using synthetic oil or not.

Wow, lots of posts with nothing but opinions. You know your bike, you know how its loaded, you know the surface you are parking on. Park it on which ever stand you feel the most comfortable with for the set of circumstances.

Now for the big question. Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it? I think it depends on whether you are using synthetic oil or not.

It also depends on which battery and tires you have

Nah! It is the nitrogen in the tires that makes it bounce if you are standing beside it.

And the uneven pressure front to rear always makes it bounce away from you.

Now for the big question. Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it?[/QUOTE]

If you're going to be standing next to it, you really should use the accessory center stand safety strap with the titanium retention clip to secure it to your belt so it doesn't get away from you. Model specific and only $376.95 at the dealer, but you might be able to find a used one.

Now for the big question. Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it?

If you're going to be standing next to it, you really should use the accessory center stand safety strap with the titanium retention clip to secure it to your belt so it doesn't get away from you. Model specific and only $376.95 at the dealer, but you might be able to find a used one.

That is a good idea, but get it with the optional upgrade-bungee cord, so it just bounces back up to you, like a 600 pound yo-yo.

Last edited:
Two reasons I use the center stand at all times:
1. Can't really access hard cases while on side stand.
2. Bike leans too much on side stand.

... Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it? I think it depends on whether you are using synthetic oil or not.

"Take" it off the center stand? About 1 in 15-20 times I'll ride it off the center stand. :nyah (Probably not good for the longevity of the stand, engine case, etc.)

Half of the time I'll just push it off the stand, the other times I'll rock it off the stand while on the bike. It mostly depends on whether or not I'm on level ground or "uphill".

The only thing with leaving the bike on the sidestand is that I've found almost every time I've done so, I'll walk up to the bike with someone either on (or just about to get on) my bike. :banghead

YMMV... :thumb

I use the centerstand 95% of the time. I only had it fall once. That was when the arm on the side of the stand broke off!! Has anyone else had that happen? The stand is hollow. I machined a solid insert and welded it back together. That fix has lasted ~10 yrs.
1998 R1100RT

need a fix for the side stand

I primarily use the center stand only because the lean angle of my side stand is SO extreme. I'll only use the side stand if the ground is slightly sloping up that way.

Any thoughts on how I can extend (or can it be adjusted) the side stand? I'm thinking upwards towards an inch or so.

Please insert answer here: ________________________________________

i use my sidestand most of the time. i added one of those bolt on pads to increase the footprint. when fueling, i'm usually sitting on the bike so i can hold it upright. i usually just use the centerstand for maintenance or to save garage space.

Off the subject a bit: I never fill my tank while mounted. Rapid departure from a gasoline fire is enhanced by being off the bike. I also fear a mishap where gasoline is sprayed in my lap which seems much more likely when mounted. Gasoline you know is a strong skin irritant and particularly tender skin is close by.

I use the centerstand because I can't reliably set my helmet or bag on the bike on the sidestand without it falling off. No problem with the sidestand, though. I have succumbed to the temptation of fueling on the bike. Twice as fast, and I get it topped all the way off, but it's just not smart.

Back