• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

centerstand vs kickstand for parking

So far I've resisted posting in this thread, but no more.

I don't think anyone has mentioned how weight is distributed on the sidestand vs. the centerstand. On the sidestand, the majority of the weight is still on the wheels, and only the leaning of the motorcycle is supported by the stand. The use of a pad of some sort on asphalt is a no brainer. On the centerstand, the entire weight of the motorcycle is balanced on the stand right in the middle of the motorcycle. The wheels aren't a factor.

I foolishly put my motorcycle (only once) on its centerstand on asphalt. The tipover was rather catastrophic. Never again. Sidestand, in gear, at all parking facilities. At home, in the garage, on a nice smooth cement floor where no one's going to bump it, it's not going to sink in the asphalt, and could easily be worked on...that's where my bikes are on their centerstands.

At the gas station, centerstand for the reasons mentioned above; easier to have a level service for any gear that needs to be removed, and also allows a complete fill.

When it comes to taking any of my motorcycles off either the centerstand or the sidestand, I'm always astride the bike. That's what works for me.

Not telling anyone what to do, everyone will do what works for them. I'm just sayin' what works for me.

A little of each

Center stand in the garage for both K1200LT and R1100R. Take up less space and easier to rotate the wheels to check tire pressures. Elsewhere, mostly side stand - depends on the terrain as many have noted. I carry a hard plastic plate (got it at a "Hurler David's Son" shop) at the ready for soft spots. Always dismount for fueling. (Long time ago, during a pre-flight of my jet on the carrier, my plane captain forced open a truculent drop tank cap. The tank was pressurized. Got soaked head to foot with jet fuel. Can testify that the family jewels are EXTREMELY sensitive to aromatic hydrocarbons!) The KLT is fueled on the side stand, the 1100R on the center.
Around 1982 or so, when I was driving from LAX airport to China Lake for some flight tests, I stopped at a small engineering firm in Palmdale, CA, just outside the gate to Edwards AFB, that advertised a custom made Big Foot center stand in either the old BMWMOA newsletter or Rider magazine. Fit perfectly on my 1975 R75/6. It had four weight-bearing curls instead of two, and a wider stance, so I never again had to worry about the hot asphalt during Jacksonville, FL summers. Sweet!

I primarily use the center stand only because the lean angle of my side stand is SO extreme. I'll only use the side stand if the ground is slightly sloping up that way.

Any thoughts on how I can extend (or can it be adjusted) the side stand? I'm thinking upwards towards an inch or so.

Please insert answer here: ________________________________________

I installed the Touratech foot pad:
01-040-3183-0_kit1.jpg

Then I replaced the screws with longer ones and sandwiched a ?¢” rubber block (some say a hocky puck works ).

The bike still has a radical lean, so recently I got this thing…(at http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/)

11688_2770_large.jpg
)

I use my centerstand 99% of the time, expecially when loaded…

I installed the Touratech foot pad:
01-040-3183-0_kit1.jpg

Then I replaced the screws with longer ones and sandwiched a ?¢ÔÇØ rubber block (some say a hocky puck works ).

I was thinking about getting the Tourtech Large Side stand Foot for my 012 R1200 GS, but was wondering about this quote from the one reviewer at the Touratech www site.

"One caveat, if the larger foot catches on anything while in gear, the engine will cut out because of the automatic side-stand engine kill. It happened to me at a traffic light while "foot paddling" the bike forward in gear with the clutch in, my boot caught the larger footplate. Something to be aware of."

Does anyone here use or have had this problem with the Touratech side stand foot plate? What do you use if anything to give a wider base for the side stand on your bike?

I was thinking about getting the Tourtech Large Side stand Foot for my 012 R1200 GS, but was wondering about this quote from the one reviewer at the Touratech www site.

"One caveat, if the larger foot catches on anything while in gear, the engine will cut out because of the automatic side-stand engine kill. It happened to me at a traffic light while "foot paddling" the bike forward in gear with the clutch in, my boot caught the larger footplate. Something to be aware of."

Does anyone here use or have had this problem with the Touratech side stand foot plate? What do you use if anything to give a wider base for the side stand on your bike?

Been using it for several years and never had that happen - I'll see how close my leg comes next time I'm paddling... I don't think it is a show stopper, just "something to be aware of".

Been using it for several years and never had that happen - I'll see how close my leg comes next time I'm paddling... I don't think it is a show stopper, just "something to be aware of".

Cool, good to know !!

Keep us posted on your findings.

Well looked at it today while paddling and didn't see that it would be a problem for me - my leg usually lands ouside the the foot rest while the kick stand is to the rear...
Here are few snap shots

Touratech extender with spacers adding 3/4"
K2-S.jpg

SafeTkick adds another 3/4"
K3-S.jpg

Side stand up
K1-S.jpg

Leg down
K4-S.jpg

Here's another angle...

When parking a motorcycle aboard a Washington State Ferry, ferry personnel will ask you to refrain from parking a m/c on a centerstand. A m/c parked on a sidestand with the transmission in gear is far more stable than a m/c parked on a centerstand with the rear wheel hanging in space.

My bikes are parked on their centerstands when in the garage for extended periods of time, but the bike that is getting ridden is kept on the side stand - both in my garage at home, and in my garage at the office.

As mentioned eariler, long-term storage of oilheads on side-stands can allow oil to seep past the left piston rings and into the combustion chamber, causing billows of blue smoke at start-up. This happens frequently with my RTP, but never happens with the GSA.

I'm currently riding the GSA, so the RTP is on the centerstand and on the trickle-charger in my garage. The GSA currently sits on her sidestand in my office building's garage.

new bmw owner . what is the safest way to get the bike off the center stand.
i was told to drive the bike off the center stand . which does seem to be safer that wrestling the bike off. will it damage the stand by doing it this way?

new bmw owner . what is the safest way to get the bike off the center stand.
i was told to drive the bike off the center stand . which does seem to be safer that wrestling the bike off. will it damage the stand by doing it this way?

not likely to damage c-stand. might be an issue with your clutch. do a search, this has been discussed before

1.. If you wish to stand beside the bike and push off the centerstand, always point the wheel to the right, so when it rolls off it will want to lean into you. If it leans away, even an inch, you can lose it. DAMHIK.

2. If you astride the saddle, it is easy to push forward with your feet and rock it off. On mine you can not get enough traction to rick it off.

3. If using the side stand, always leave it in gear.

1.. If you wish to stand beside the bike and push off the centerstand, always point the wheel to the right, so when it rolls off it will want to lean into you. If it leans away, even an inch, you can lose it. DAMHIK.

2. If you astride the saddle, it is easy to push forward with your feet and rock it off. On mine you can not get enough traction to rick it off.

+3! :clap

Responding to post several pages back about gassing up my bike, 2005 Rockster, the owners manual says to gas up while on the side stand.

My 1150gs solution

Custom Bigfoot, custom adjustable sidestand.
Rarely use the centerstand anymore.
Bike is very upright.

IMGP0593_resize.jpg

Custom Bigfoot, custom adjustable sidestand.
Rarely use the centerstand anymore.
Bike is very upright.

IMGP0593_resize.jpg
Did you make/have made the extension portion ? There used to be a after market extender (wunderlich or Touratech maybe??) but it is no longer available...

Did you make/have made the extension portion ? There used to be a after market extender (wunderlich or Touratech maybe??) but it is no longer available...
Made everything myself, have done a few extensions for others. PM me if you are interested.

Agree with 2 and 3. I can get it off the centerstand but it is very easy for it to fall away from you--been there done that.

I'm pretty much a woosie. I hate to put it on the centerstand. I tip the bike up enough to get rid of sidestand, then push down the centerstand, then shuffle my foot to a better placement on the stand, then the scary part is tipping the bike away from me farther and farther until I feel the r-side foot touch down before I can pull the bike onto the stand (otherwise it's impossible to get up on the stand - hernia time). Way easier to just hook my heel on the side stand while sitting on the bike (not easy, easier.....since the looped bar doesn't stick out far enough from the footpeg plate to make it 'simple') and push it forward. The owners manual says stand next to bike and do it prior to getting on and after getting off. Don't want to get on OR off the bike without sidestand down. This bike isn't light like some of my bikes 30 years ago.
When it comes to checking the oil, here's my thought: Check oil when changed - on center stand. After that, cking it on sidestand is fine. If it was correct to start, and the reading on sidestand is a full window it must be o.k. since it can't add its own oil while you're not looking. If it goes to about middle of window, put on centerstand and double check it.

I find that my r1100 rsl is easier to put on the center stand than my 1967 r50/2 and it's lighter than the r1100. I find that with the r50 you have to have your foot blocked just right on the stand while you pull up hard on the crossbar on the handlebars.:dance

Back