• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Beemers Under the Redwoods Vintage Campout!

Dang,...it's almost enough to make me wanna move to California.

woodnsteel said:
Dang,...it's almost enough to make me wanna move to California.
Almost? Well, what's it gonna take, then? ;-)

I mean, there are lots of great little roads all through the Santa Cruz mountains and you can have a fun ride with essentially no traffic for 100 miles or more starting with the road that runs through the park. I'm putting together some ride maps to put up on the web site.

I am trying to kickstart more vintage scene events out here. I am envious of what I read in the VBMWMO newsletter about the rallies back east. I've been looking around for a good place, but there always seem to be little issues, until I found this park. The location is great, the campsite is deep in the shade of the redwoods, it's big (camps 125!) and it's away from all the other campsites in the park. I'm going to bring some firewood for the big fire ring and also to use to cook dinner. The rangers seem very amenable to the whole thing. I'm going to go there again to get some pictures to put up on the site as well as talk to the rangers about it some more.

i remember camping with my "vintage" beemer in the redwoods,

i can't wait to get back

img_1203.jpg

I thought I'd refresh this thread to remind folks that this is only a little more than a month away, and also to mention that Caltrans has announced that they are going to close part of the highway that runs by the park.

Not to worry! I've updated the web site with detour directions around the closure. If you'll be coming from the Monterey Bay side of the world, then you'll want to look at the detour map.

Please remember that this is a preregister-only rally, so I can have enough food for everyone.

And while the focus is on getting those old bikes out to ride, there is no requirement that you be on a vintage beemer to attend. (Also consider, as KBasa pointed out, that it's only a few more years before the first K100s will be considered vintage bikes!)

Well, we had 18 people show up and, I believe, a good time was had by all. Here are a couple links to photos:

http://66.122.46.82/~minimotorer/pix/BUTR/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72191171@N00/

I cooked up 14 lbs. of tri tip, a couple chickens, baked beans, roasted bell peppers, and salad for dinner. Breakfast was french toast and sausages. The weather was generally cooperative, with a bit of misty fog early in the morning, followed by sunshine by about 9am.

I had a good time doing it, I will try to do this again next year!

Oh Man... I'm sorry to have missed this. Right in my own backyard too.

Ian

Back