• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trip to NW Michigan

jogitu

The two best kept secrets in the US are both in Michigan. One would be the Upper Peninsula that most people don't even know exists and the second would be NW Michigan along Lake Michigan. The wife and I made a trip up to join the leafers this past weekend. We stayed for our first time at Crystal Mountain Resort which I would highly recommend. Enjoy the few photos.

http://photobucket.com/albums/uu315/Jogitu/Crystal Mountain

PS. Best viewed as slideshow. The water color was not enhanced. That is the beauty of NW Michigan.

Last edited:
Kevin: What route did you take? I see you made it to Ludington and I believe that some of the shots are of Leeland. We had a group out this week-end and ending up in Empire. Great week-end for color tours, must have seen a thousand bikes along M.22 Going to try to get one more run in up north before the season ends.... For those of you who have never been up this way, you don't know what your missing!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Last edited:
Kevin: What route did you take? I see you made it to Ludington and I believe that some of the shots are of Leeland. We had a group out this week-end and ending up in Empire. Great week-end for color tours, must have seen a thousand bikes along M.22 Going to try to get one more run in up north before the season ends.... For those of you who have never been up this way, you don't know what your missing!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

We came up 31 and stayed at the resort on 115 Saturday night. Sunday we took 31 up to Traverse City and followed M22 around and down to Glen Arbor where we took 109 to sleeping bear dunes. We then took several turns back to 31 for the trip back to South Bend, long day.

We saw several BMW's and a smattering of cruisers ride past while we ate at Arts Tavern in Glen Arbor. We saw some guys parked up around Northport as well. I spot the BMW's among the hoards of cruisers. We got very lucky. We left around 9:30 from the resort and headed towards Traverse City. It was still cold enough that the bikes we saw were parked at breakfast. We really never got held up by bikes or cars except at sleeping bear where the traffic on the scenic parkway was thick.

Not sure we will be up at far on the bike again this year but will definitely be up over the winter to stay at that resort again. Really nice place and my wife liked the Spa and I don't hate massage so seems like a good winter weekend trip.

I was last up there in August when I headed back from the UP but did not have time to stop and smell the roses. This trip was much better and I could not have asked for better weather. Only regret I have is that we don't live closer.

Terrific pictures. I used to live in Grand Rapids, and have been all over NW MI using Traverse City as a base. I've also been many other places here and abroad. NW MI is one of the most charming and scenic around.
thumb.gif

Yep, from early May through the end of October, This is a wonderful place to live. However, the Lord, in all his wisdom then "bless's" us with Around six months of misery!! This is a tough place for someone who not only hates to shovel snow, but suffers from arthritis. Of course, the rest of the year makes it almost worth while! Great pictures by the way. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

We'll probably be heading up there this coming weekend if the weather forecast is reasonable. I never get tired of the ride to the lighthouse at Northport.

I've been up that way many times, and I enjoy it every time. I'm hoping that I get some good weather to make one more trip, and that seems like a likely possibility.

Kevin,

I know this is a late response. But thanks for sharing the trip & the pics.

I'm a Michigan fan as well. Used to live in a small town called Honor, not far from Sleepy Bear. I travel up there as often as I can. {Now live in S/Ohio}

If you go back?..and you've not heard of The Tunnel Of Trees Ride? it is M-119 , it starts {S-N} in Petosky meanders along Lake Michigan through Harbor Springs, & ends at Cross Village. Its a slow ride 25-30mph,but very scenic....check it out!!:D

Ron

Back