• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tank Bag suggestions please

M

markwnelson

I just added a 2008 K1200GT to keep my RT company. I have a great tank bag in the RoadGear XL for the RT...but I need something else for the GT since I cannot find a good spot for the forward straps.

I would like to have a medium to large size bag (15-22l) that will attach to the fuel filler mount. I need it to have side pockets also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Take a look at the SW Motech bags sold by Twisted Throttle. They have an assortment of bags that mount to the filler cap. I just got one of the "Engage XL" bag and rings for my 2008 R 1200R BMW. I like the bag and the mounting system. It was relatively simple to mount and makes a nice looking package. Easy on and off the bike. Just pull a release cord on the front of the bag.

If you do not like that product, take a look at the RKA bags. I have owned several of their bags and am extremely happy with them. In fact, I am about to modify one of the RKA bags to use the SW Motech ring mounts.

I just added a 2008 K1200GT to keep my RT company. I have a great tank bag in the RoadGear XL for the RT...but I need something else for the GT since I cannot find a good spot for the forward straps.

I would like to have a medium to large size bag (15-22l) that will attach to the fuel filler mount. I need it to have side pockets also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

It's not mounted to te fuel filler, but whatever you do, do not buy the BMW bran tank bag for this bike. It is an absolute piece of junk. I bought mine 2 years ago, have put all of 6-7,000 miles with it on the bike and the thing looks like it's been through a war. The fabric wasn't searged at the seams and it's all falling apart. This piece of junk cost over $200 as I remember. I also got stung on some pro-summer 2 gloves for $125. Supposedly waterproof, these things won't keep hands dry in a fog.

I've learned: unless it's actually MADE by BMW, it's probably garbage. Because of my experiences with these two products, I will never buy a piece of BMW riding gear. It's off to Aerostitch for that. BMW should be ashamed.

I got the Wunderlich small tank bag for mine and am very pleased with it. It may be a bit smaller than what you're looking for, but they also have a larger version that might be to your liking. It does not attach to the filler ring though, it uses straps, but is made specifically for the model so the straps are a good fit and tidy. Its quick to remove and replace for fueling, just a few second to perform either operation. Its a very well made bag, but is a bit pricy compared to some.

It's not mounted to te fuel filler, but whatever you do, do not buy the BMW bran tank bag for this bike. It is an absolute piece of junk. I bought mine 2 years ago, have put all of 6-7,000 miles with it on the bike and the thing looks like it's been through a war. The fabric wasn't searged at the seams and it's all falling apart. This piece of junk cost over $200 as I remember. I also got stung on some pro-summer 2 gloves for $125. Supposedly waterproof, these things won't keep hands dry in a fog.

I've learned: unless it's actually MADE by BMW, it's probably garbage. Because of my experiences with these two products, I will never buy a piece of BMW riding gear. It's off to Aerostitch for that. BMW should be ashamed.

Same here, I purchased a pair of BMW Boots, waterproof, about 2 years ago. Already falling apart and are only waterproof on sunny days. Its back to Tourmaster for me. They cost less then half of what I paid for the BMW boots. My last pair lasted 4 years, and I still have them for back-up and never once did they leaked, and I did ride hours through heavy rain to many time's to remember. Rant over.

thumbnail.aspx
bags connection city bag, quick on off (filler ring connection) nice lines to match the bike and a decent size without being too large with side pockets

Tank Bag Suggestion

I don't have the GT -- I have the S -- and purchased a BMW tank bag which I'm very happy with. It has a map pocket (which I don't really need as I have GPS but it's convenient for storing thruway tickets) and a liner to keep things dry. It's easy to remove via four snaps -- one at each corner -- and it looks reasonably nice.

Kent

City Bag here

I have the electified version so all my gadgets will charge when on a trip. Small enough to pop off and put in an empty side case. Piece of cake at the gas station to refuel. It has to be stiff by design to work with the tank ring so the side pockets are pretty small and stiff so you can't cram a lot of stuff in them. My Wolfman Rainier (that has to be strapped on) was much better at hauling stuff. The other weird thing about the Bags Connection is they don't have a map case on top of them. You can buy an additional clear panel that sits on top. I use it on an 1150RT, KGT and GS and it looks like it was made for all three. I didn't order the bigger GS one since I only use tankbags on long trips to have quick access to water, sunglasses etc. City is definitely large end of the medium size. If you want more space get the GS version depending on which bike you have. Also, it doesn't rub the paint off your tank!!!

Bags Connevtion with BMW Navigator?

Anyone have a Bags Connection with a BMW Navigator? Looking for tank bag, but do not want it to interfere with seeing the GPS in the BMW mount. 2007 GT

Thanks,

-Dennis

I have the powered version of the Bags Connection City bag on my K1300GT. Fuel filler ring mount makes it easy to take off and put back on when gassing up. Having power in the bag for charging electronics is handy, but on a couple of occasions one of the spring-loaded power connection pins has gotten hung up, interrupting power into the bag, and I didn't realize it until my iPod battery died. The accessory map case looks like a bit of an afterthought, but it holds a lot and flips up easily for access to bag contents. Main compartment is roomy, but side pockets are small. Overall I've been quite pleased with it.

Bags Connection City bag w/Power worked great on my 07' GT. It is mounted almost as far forward as possible and does not make contact with any of the switch gear. It was great to have for the 1,000+ mile ride to Sedalia. Great facilities in MO and great Rally. While I was there I asked a Twisted Throttle mechanic how they run the power cord and they just pass it straight forward. I did the same, but used the cable management clamps under the bars. Bag is very comfortable to lie forward on, at least at 6' with a 32" inseam. Perhaps a Stebel horn next? :drink

Back