• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Confusing Award

amiles

Just got the October issue of the club magazine. On page 88 are listed the "2011 Rally Awards". One of these has me wondering as to the accuracy of the awarding.

Oldest BMW ridden to the rally 1978?? I can't believe that this is correct.

I saw many /5 and /6 and older bikes at the rally, too many to have been trailered. How did this machine qualify as the oldest ridden to the rally?

It's a self nomination process. You have to register your bike in that catagory to be considered. They don't wander the grounds looking for candidates.
If you don't register in that catgory, you can't stand a chance of winning.

In addition to riding a old bike to the rally you have to sign up for that award.

4 minutes late.

Sign up as in register & put the year of the bike on the form at the registration tent ? Or do you mean some other type of registration that I was unaware of?

Sign up as in register & put the year of the bike on the form at the registration tent ? Or do you mean some other type of registration that I was unaware of?

Go to the tally and awards table. Sign up for that specific award.

I can't for the life of me recall anything in the rally information that indicated that one had to nominate them self for an award. If it is listed please guide me to it.

Have I carelessly missed this or is it not publicized?

It would be nice if the awards accurately reflected the demographics of all rally attendees not just those who choose to nominate themselves.

Again, I thought that the information on the registration form was culled for this, If not why bother to fill it out completely.

I don't necessarily disagree. But certain awards require verification, such as the Grand Tour award, etc. Voni and I would have won this year if we had signed up. After 2nd or 3rd a few years in a row we simply neglected to sign up this year.

There is also the issue of extracting data from several thousand forms written by folks in many formats vs. reviewing the sign up sheets. Sure, age is easy. Bike ridden to rally might or might not be the same as when a person preregistered in March.

Paul is right. The vast majority of the registration sheets were illegible. The information about signing up for the awards was in the ON before the rally and in the rally program. Plus this has been the method for the past several years.

The volunteers at the awards and tallies booth worked hard for the entire rally and would have loved to have more people sign up for the awards. Please do so next year in MO.

The table

I saw the table with all the self-nominate sheets; but I was in need of a beer at the time. At my age, a good beer is more valuable than some "award" that will get filed away and never looked at again.

The information about signing up for the awards was in the ON before the rally and in the rally program.

Ya know, I wrote 5 articles, designed 4 spread ads, had four forum threads on two different forums, a Facebook page, a YouTube video, a page in the Rally Program and about 10 posters with Schedule of Events information put up around the rally and there were *still* some people who said they couldn't figure out what the GS Giant event was all about or when things were happening.

just shows to go you, it's impossible to over-communicate. :ha

Hey, no harm done to me. Between my age, location and age of machine, I doubt that I will ever qualify for any award.

It does seem like a hollow victory though If one were to win a plaque knowing that they really were not the oldest, youngest or had the oldest machine etc at the rally.
I will work on my reading comprehension!!

volunteers

Having volunteered for registration, I can appreciate all the time it takes to process the forms. I'm sure if someone wants to volunteer their time to review every entry form, find the oldest machines and then verify that those machines were ridden to the rally, the committee would be appreciative. That would be very nice for each of the categories to make sure the awards were "accurate".:whistle

Back