Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1977 r100s

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Finished product
    Looks great -

Inspect the under tank Master cylinder

The front brake master cylinder has to be the single most overlooked and problematic(for paint) item on these old bikes. Until you get a chance to pull the gas tank and ensure that its not leaking and is in great shape I would consider removing the front brake lever so you don't accidentally bathe the underside of the gas tank, top of the motor and the relays that sit there with destructive brake fluid.

Alarmist??? Maybe but I would rather be safe than sorry!!!!

Douglas Williams
    Add this link to your bookmarks. Good luck.
    Doug

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

On the Road
    Nice one! I picked up a '77 R100S that had been sitting in a barn for ~10 years.. And And after re-uping the battery, tires and cleaning out the fuel system-- yeah, expect to replace just about every seal.. but luckily, it seems like most seals only cost a few bucks... the bitch is getting to where they need to be replaced.....!! But obviously worth it!

I bought mine for $1,500 with 30K miles on it- but now I can't park it without someone trying to buy it off me.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobinthemtns View Post
    Nice one! I picked up a '77 R100S that had been sitting in a barn for ~10 years.. And And after re-uping the battery, tires and cleaning out the fuel system-- yeah, expect to replace just about every seal.. but luckily, it seems like most seals only cost a few bucks... the bitch is getting to where they need to be replaced.....!! But obviously worth it!

I bought mine for $1,500 with 30K miles on it- but now I can't park it without someone trying to buy it off me.....
    I can see why, nice bike, nice color too. Reminds me of my old R90S painted Chevy pickup red. Should have never sold that bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice, way to go.

I sold my '77 R100S last month. The new owner is going to give it the full resto, although that won't be very hard since it was in fairly decent shape.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
    Very nice, way to go.

I sold my '77 R100S last month. The new owner is going to give it the full resto, although that won't be very hard since it was in fairly decent shape.
    How about a picture or two and details on the bike, mileage, etc. What did you sell it for, if you don't mind me asking?

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    That Chevy red and the black is a great combination.

What kind (brand) of mufflers?

Barron

On my R90S I believe they were Emgo. They were on the bike when I got it, along with the Chevy red.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyork5 View Post
    How about a picture or two and details on the bike, mileage, etc. What did you sell it for, if you don't mind me asking?
    For all intents and purposes, I basically traded it even up for a '94 R1100RS. I sold it to my mechanic, who turned me on to the "new" RS. We also bartered some new tires on service on the RS. It had 130K on the clock, but had a lot of work and maintenance on it even before I got it back in 2004. It had a lightened flywheel, dual plug heads, bar risers, Sante Fe fork brace, deep oil pan, and an RS fairing.

When I sold it, the right upper fairing had a crack in it, needed new tires, and may have had some charging issues. I had been riding it to work all summer with no problems.

For pics, see posts 286 and 287 in this thread ---> http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=3742&page=20
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

The photos above show once again the absolute requirement for pinstripes on an Airhead. On one to be called "S" for sure.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    The photos above show once again the absolute requirement for pinstripes on an Airhead. On one to be called "S" for sure.
    I totally agree. Mine had pinstripes that were removed when I had the tank and fairing painted, so they were removed, and never replaced.
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
    I totally agree. Mine had pinstripes that were removed when I had the tank and fairing painted, so they were removed, and never replaced.
    I also agree. I had all the pinstriping on all the body work redone by a guy who usually works on Harleys only. He did a great job. And he said he liked the colors.