• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Low cost GPS

got mine fimally

i just bought a Nuvi 1450 LMT for 160.00, figured i'd use it in the cage all winter then maybe adapt it over to the bike with a waterproof box in summer...

plugged it in and registered the product then found and installed one upgrade right away. well actually it found one upgrade but took forever to download and verify it, then on the heels of all that, it found ANOTHER upgrade and i downloaded and installed it successfully, i maybe 2/3 the time.

it's going to be fun using it, i'm certain. i KNOW this has been covered ad nauseum in other threads, one of which i started myself... but i know i'm going to have questions..... i guess Garmin's website has tutorials? do they also have user forums and such? ah sh*t, another time sucker! :brow

here are initial questions about set-up and efficiency:

*should i turn off traffic updates?
*how about routing specifics like avoidances?
*routing preferences like shortest, most fuel efficient?
*how about audio? is there a way to turn off the annoying beeps every time you hit a button or touch the thing? or adjust the volume so it's not super loud?

and finally,
*how do i get a British woman's voice on the thing? :groovy

all's i does is this, thusly,

velcro.

one side to the bike,one side to the gps.

if good enough wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be good enough.

I've run it off power from the USB port while on long car trips. This is not recommended for the bike. apparently it's not a waterproof connection. There is a separate 4 pin power port for that, but it requires a separate cable (not too expensive) it's power hungry like any GPS, so not a small issue for a long trip.

It will do turn by turn directions, but not right out of the box. You need aftermarket maps. They can be purchased pretty-much plug and play from Garmin, or you can use public domain maps from GPS File Depot if you are willing to fuss with it a while.

Good, free maps

Forgot the link last time.

www.gpsfiledepot.com
This site has a good selection of free maps and excellent tutorials on how to get them into Mapsource or Base Camp.

Garmin does not make this easy, but with some work, its do-able and will save you some serious coin.

Back