• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low cost GPS

Hi guys:

I travelled across Canada this year.
I also went South to Tennesee to ride the "Tail of the Dragon".
In all it was about 20,000KM.

I got lost(not terribly) a couple times, and spent far too long looking for things like campsites and Grocery stores.
A GPS could be your friend in times like those but $700 is a bit much!
I'm willing to forego the waterproof feature since I could get 6 for that price.

I got a Garmin 1350 on sale for $115 and built this cradle and mount in about 15 minutes.
Well, the idea took about 15 minutes.
The build was more like mumble-mumble hours.

First, have no fear.
I drilled and tapped holes in the top triple tree to accept the Delrin spacer. These holes go through thin parts of webs in the casting.
Dashholes.jpg

Cradle and spacer parts. The Delrin machined like a dream. If you haven't tried it, buy some for your next low temperature project.
Parts.jpg

Finished spacer on the bike.
Spaceron.jpg

Cradle on the spacer.
Cradleon.jpg

GPS in and on.
The fit is a tight slide, I will try it tomorrow, the extra aluminum to the left can be drilled for a lock if it tends to slide out but I really doubt it will.
GPSon.jpg

It's not meant to be looked at while riding, I just need it handy for quick access in a lay-by or whatever.
Now I can find a McDonald's easily, if anyone hasn't tried their coffee recently - try it. I prefer it to Tim's, and it rivals my home roasted from green beans.

I hear you. I bought a Tom Tom with about a 5 inch screen for about 100$ new. I don't get sound in my headphones since it has no external plug, and it is not waterproof, but neither of these features is missed for the extra $5-600 it would cost for a 'motorcycle' GPS.

The price of GPS now has approached the disposable cell phone level of cost.

I have been using a garmin 205w for 3years now. I use it every day in my work truck and have about 6000 miles of bike use on a ram mount. it has been through a few good rain storms and got frosted on one nite. I paid $125 for it then.

Buy used

I bought a Garmin 276C here in the flea market for $100.00.

It is a wonderful unit. Two yuears on my bike and not a single problem.

Cradle and spacer parts. The Delrin machined like a dream. If you haven't tried it, buy some for your next low temperature project.

Nice job Mike, I'm a fan of using delrin for projects because of the reasons you mentioned. I have a friend that saves me the "drops" from his bigger projects. It looks like you have access to some sort of milling machine?

I bought a Garmin 276C here in the flea market for $100.00.

It is a wonderful unit. Two yuears on my bike and not a single problem.

Great score for $100

A careful shopper can buy $700 units for a LOT less, if they are patient. In the last couple of months I have purchased three 276C with accessories for between $250-$350 , sold the first two for $750 and $650 on fle-bay, and am waiting for the other to show up, and I will sell that too. And I still have ram mounts and extra memory to sell.

Over the last couple of years I have flipped eight or so units, I like doubling my investments.

The extra cash will buy a years worth of tires for the bike :D

Ziploc Bag

Good on ya!! Ingenuity like that is priceless!!

I bought a refurbished Garmin unit with the "lane assist" feature. It's so useful going through unfamiliar large cities. It also has an earphone plug, so I can get audible instructions, too, which is also very valuable in unfamiliar city traffic. I attached it to the bike with a RAM mount, and carry a ziploc bag with me to protect it from the rain.
I think the ziploc bag trick is pretty slick. I just slip the ziploc over the GPS unit, zip the seal as much as possible, leaving only enough for the mount to stick through, and the GPS screen is still visible, yet dry.

Only thing I'd like to change is to make a shade over the screen to increase visibility when the sun's at the wrong angle. Otherwise, it's worked great and cost was minimal.

I went with a Garmin 765 car model, around $165 at the time. Bought a Aquabox from RAM to keep it dry and a spare power cord to mount through the Aquabox, so I don't have to take it apart to use in the car. This model has lane assist, MP3 with memory card slot and an earphone out port, that I also ran out the Aquabox using a stereo extension cord, that I plug my Cardo coiled cord into when I get on the bike. Works well for me, I can listen to music and/or directions, plus see the GPS fairly well (not perfect, the clear screan protector isn't great in daylight). Way cheaper than the 550 or 660 model that are bike specific, though with their programmability features and not needing to worry about water, they have positives, too.

Garmin N??vi 550. $250. IPX7 Waterproof. No bluetooth, no headphone jack; simple and straight forward.

I went on a 7,000 mile trip this past spring with a rider who had picked up a $100 Garmin car GPS. He provided it with no protection from the rain. If I remember correctly, there were maybe three occasions when it failed to function correctly, I suspect due to the rain. When I played with it, explaining features to him, I discovered that it had many more features than my Zumo 660. Bottom line; for the money, he had the better deal.

I have used a Magellan car-specific GPS unit on my bike on several occasions. Audio out is the best. Can't see screen in bright daylight, but shouldn't be looking at screen while riding anyway. Mounted on top triple clamp shielded by fairing to protect from rain. Powered from aux power connector. Lots cheaper than motorcycle specific GPS!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.346995,-111.815871

Screen Visability

How does the use of non motorcycle GPS compare to the Zumo with daylight and bright sun? I am willing to deal with rain if I can still see the display, given the price difference and added features of the Nuvi line. Tom

How does the use of non motorcycle GPS compare to the Zumo with daylight and bright sun? I am willing to deal with rain if I can still see the display, given the price difference and added features of the Nuvi line. Tom

I have the nuvi 550, which is waterproof and rated as "Motorcycle friendly" by Garmin, just like the Zumo models. My brother has a Zumo and I have compared them side by side and see no difference in the display. The nuvi 550 at $299 ($249 street price) is still a lot more expensive than many auto GPS models. I have a Magellan that I paid about $89 for quite a few years ago that works fine in the car, but I don't know how well it would work in sunlight. The best way to determine that would be to hold them side by side under the same lighting conditions.

garmin

Hi bought a garmin nuvi 255 from Wally mart here in canada for $80 can, used it all year, rain or shine on my 1977 rs and also with an rt fairing installed ,sometimes hard to see in sunshine some directions , vibes ok was advised to cover it with shrink wrap ? but to find a hotel ,gas , or mc Donalds its great,keeping an eye on trip milage time etc ,great buy , Jimmy:)

Garmin 1490t refurb

Hey guys - always like these kinds of threads - I got a refurb unit 1490t - big 5" screen for $125 on fleebay, put on a RAM mount in a waterproof box. Agreed, it's hard to see at times. Total cost with mount and box roughly $170 and then another $14 for a harness directly wired to my FuzeBlok.
What makes it hard to see is the reflection of my light grey colored jacket which reflects the light onto it. All in all - it works and has taken me on some really fun back roads.

I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 205W at Christmas , it works well in the car.

On the motorcycle i just stick it in the tank bag and only turn it on when i need info, its own battery seems to run it fine.

I did buy a dual Y cord from Powerlet that plugs in to my battery tender direct from the battery if I ever need to run the GPS for any length of time.

The other side of the Y cord is a BMW sized plug so i can hook up my electric vest if i need that.

First off......slick job with the Nuvi install......amazing how some mods turn out.

Now I can find a McDonald's easily, if anyone hasn't tried their coffee recently - try it. I prefer it to Tim's, and it rivals my home roasted from green beans.

Your absolutley right on the money about the coffee..........:thumb......Micky Dee's has a more flavorable blend........I think that Timmy's is a bit over rated......but their coffee is just so available.......can't comment on your home roast...........

As far as GPS installs go.......I use a Garmin 2720 that I purchased on E-bay.....have it mounted off of the triple tree with a Ram Mount. I like it because it's waterproof........I mean after riding in eight days of solid rain showers and downpours during my trip to the east coast proved just that. It's also glove freindly......and can be used when riding......

Back