• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fun with LED's

ChrisF

Long Gone

Attachments

• LED side.jpg
    LED side.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 536
Fun with LED's II

Here's a shot with the sun behind me -

Attachments

• LED rear sunny.jpg
    LED rear sunny.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 514
Fun with LED's III

... and another with the garage door closed. I had only the parking lights on for these pictures. The side LED's are orange, while the rear LED's are red. There are 3 sets of 3 rear lights. The center LED of each is a 2 Hz flasher that lights with the brakes. I'll be riding tomorrow (60F+ :D ) to verify that the current draw (425 mA) doesn't make the ABS system burp.

Attachments

• LED rear dark.jpg
    LED rear dark.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 538
mounting

Looks nice. :thumb Do you have any close ups of how you mounted them? I'm looking to something the same for side safety lighting.

Scott

Hey Chris, they look really good! I like my cheapie topcase, and I have led's mounted just at the back.

I went with Martha too. I'm looking for a wrecked Chevy Impala to get its third-light array to install across the back of the cutting-board mount.

Attachments

• chs-lake-crop-400.jpg
    chs-lake-crop-400.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 442
CHPBike said:
Looks nice. :thumb Do you have any close ups of how you mounted them? I'm looking to something the same for side safety lighting.

Scott

I do, but remember you asked for this! You're looking at the bottom of the mounting plate for a JC Whitney top case (which I purchased based on Loraz's thread "Inexpensive Top Case" from about 6 months ago). The LED's are as follows:
RL5-O4030 (side)
0RL5-R3545 (rear)
RL5-BR2020 (rear, flashing)
I chose these particular LED's for brightness and relatively wide viewing angle. The SuperbrightLED site shows the specs for each LED and includes a calculator to determine the proper resistor size. The LED's were mounted with LED holders (same source) after drilling 1/4" holes. My "winter hobby" is model railroading, so I already had the soldering iron, solder, wires, and liquid electrical tape. The biggest PITA with this project was cutting slots in the plastic webbing to route the wires - a Dremel tool with cutting disk helped a lot.

Total cost for this project was $26, including the $5 shipping charge for the LED's.

Attachments

• LED Wiring.jpg
    LED Wiring.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 406
BTW, today I rode 140 miles to Riverside, IA and back to verify that the LED's wouldn't cause a problem for the ABS system (they didn't). I thought it was an appropriate destination, given the "space-age" nature of the lighting system. Riverside, IA is "The official future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk (March 22, 2228)".That's my shuttle-craft in the background. :D

Attachments

• RiversideIA.jpg
    RiversideIA.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 393
Back