• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Beaded seat cover vs. Gel pad

S

SweetT

I saw some guys at the national rally last summer with the NYC taxi driver style beaded seat cover on thier bikes. I didn't get a chance to talk to any of them. Now as I plan my trip to california this summer I am wondering if I should get one or a gel pad seat cover instead. Anybody have thoughts on this?
Are the beads really that comfortable? :dunno

After one long tour out west in '03, I bought the beads from beadrider last spring for my trip to Spokane. They prolong the length of time before you get "monkey butt". You're able to move around easier and move pressure points. Also, adds some air flow under you to keep things cooler. I have no experience with the gel seats, but for the money the beads work well for me.
Instead of being sore after 4 hours, it's more like 8 hours now.

Doug
99K1200LT
03Monster800

Re: Beadrider

I had a beadrider for my RT. I loved it! worked well for longer rides. I had my stock seat modified with surgical gel pads and used the bead rider on top of it. I use the Alaska Leather Sheepskin pad on my KRS. It also workes well and can double as a nice camping pillow.

Another option

Another option to consider is the Airhawk. I've got abou 8k on mine and am very happy. As a side benefit to the ride improvement, they also keep you from ever sitting in a puddle. We all have our own reasons for backing our favorite products but these guys main business is the prevention of pressure sores (bed sores) for bed ridden people, burn victims, and people confined to wheel chairs. They are primairly a medical durable company. They are the industry leader in that field and that strikes me as a pretty strong endorsment for us of the monkey butt crowd. ( no affiliation bla bla bla) :bikes

Wanderer, I was in a dealership on Friday, and saw one of the Airhawks on display. Are they that much better than the cheaper alternatives? The company's main focus says a lot to me, as far as 'do they know what they're talking about', but I'm curious how they compare to other anti-monkey-butt devices.

I just find it interesting that an airhawk for a trucker costs 69 bucks, and one half the size for a motorcycle is over twice as much. I havent bothered to email them to ask why yet.

Taipei Taxi Lesson

I have a seatcover that is plastic beads that I bought in Taipei in the summer. I figured if the things work in Taipei taxis in August, then they should work pretty good on a motorcycle. Cost me about US$4 for one that fits fairly well. It is made of plastic beads tied with monofilament. After using it for a 1000 mile day on four occasions, one of which was offroad, I have to say that I'd never consider riding a long distance without it.

I know nothing about gel or air seats. But it seems to me that both could spring a leak and neither would get air between your seat and the bike's seat. Just wiggling around on a beaded seat is like a quick butt massage and will bannish the monkey.

One more observation... wooden beads eventually get very tired in the weather. Plastic beads do not.

Einnar

I can't answer as to how other devices work as I haven't owned or extensively used others. "This guy" went around the world 8 times and never got off the bike so the ..... cushion/pad/seat MUST be great. "That guy" rode from Key West to Anchorage and back in 15 minutes with the.......cushion/pad/seat so it MUST be great.

I guess I believe whatever makes you comfortable is the right answer. I will say this for the Airhawk, they aren't guessing about butt circularlation issues. The trick to prevent bedsores (the ultimate monkey butt) is to equalize the pressure over the largest possible area and to promote air circulation. They sell internationally in the medical world. Among their customers are many burn centers including the Shriners hospital burn units. I know a bit more about these people as they are from my home town and have grown quickly and won many industry national and international awards (so say the local newspapers.) Both my mother and grandmother were wheelchair bound for several years each and used Roho cushions at the direction of several doctors. The parent company is called Roho. For more info here's the parent company site.

http://www.rohoinc.com/medical/index.jsp

The way I found out about Airhawks was a friend of mine peeled the cover off an Airhawk and I said, " Wow,that looks just like a Roho cushion" well Duh on me! Since I started useing the Airhawk I have never wondered if there was something better available. Personally I don't believe the other devices, including custom seats, have anywhere near the level of technology. You are certainly free to disagree. :D

Back