• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

color in the catskills

nytrashman

i'm here at color in the catskills and what a disapointment from last year. there are only approx. six to eight motorcycle related vendors. the BMW demo fleet is not here this year but MAX BMW does have demo bikes here. it also appears the non motorcycle related vendors are in short supply compaired to last year. i honestly thought this event would grow larger each year but this year it appears to have taken a step backwards. the weather isn't the best, rainy and in the low 50's,perhaps that is what kept the vendors away. in spite of the lack of vendors i managed to spend some money. i bought myself a new jacket from road gear as well as a pair of H2O gloves, and a few other things from the limited supply of vendors. am i glad i came, yes, but with out more vendors, the support of the MOA (they had no booth this year) i am afraid this event will become nothing but a memory within another year or two.

6:30AM sunday morning and it is pouring here at hunter mtn. hopefully this will be the extent of the rain for today. hopefully if the rain stops there will be a good turn out for the final day of color in the catskills.

Thanks for the update. I was thinking I mite ride there this morning. You have save me the trip.:thumb
Mike

when we left to head home, around 9am the sun was starting to come out and it was looking like it would be a good day. hopefully the good weather will bring lots of people to this great event.

The sun did come out after 0900 and the bikes did start coming in. The last MAX BMW demo ride to leave pulled out at 3 pm, just as full as all the other demo rides had been on Saturday and Sunday on the full range of models BMW has to offer, not just the new 1600 GTL and GT models that would have been on the demo truck.

Yes, there were fewer vendors this year than last that actually showed up on site, but more had signed up for this year than last year. No doubt the weather played a large part in the reduced crowds and vendor count, but even those vendors who backed out have said they would like to be invited back for next year. And they will be, along with others. The vendors who did attend all had a good day, at least on Sunday, and thanked the riders who did come out in spite of the rain on Friday and Saturday. Most of the roads were in passable shape and the local waterfalls and streams were spectacular!

Not to be forgotten are the off road and dual sport rides led by TEAM MAX featuring some very talented leaders and brave participants. All made it back to base safely, although some came back wetter and muddier than others. No one came back cursing and all learned some real world off road riding lessons.

Hope to see you all next year. Plans are already underway for the 5th edition of Colors in the Catskills to make the event bigger and better than ever. Prayers and offerings will be made to the Weather Channel and Mother Nature between now and next October on a regular basis.

See you on the road.

Friedle

From Windham

I arrived at 9 am Saturday, the same time as Muriel. Came from the north and Windham. One bridge closed and took the side route to 23 E/W.
There were about 15 bikes in the lot, and Max was set up for demos.
Drizzle and 56-60 degrees.
Not too many vendors.
I had to leave within 2 hours but enjoyed saying hello to some fellow riders,
Charlie, and Dean and talking shop...

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 135
Base Lodge

Just a few of our members, and a few KTM, Yamah, and Hondas in the crowd.
Cloudy above 600 feet.
Colors were already turning red, and lacking yellows... chilly at best.
Max set up with 4 tents taking demo riders out, and both Max and Ben
were there to welcome riders.

Attachments

• IMG_3838.jpg
    IMG_3838.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 135
The Lot

Back lot view. Normally, one can see the summit of Hunter thru these clouds in the top right of this pic.

Attachments

• IMG_3845.jpg
    IMG_3845.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 135
Twisted Throttle

Barb had a steady stream of inquiries when I was there, even a group from Canada.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 134
1 mile south of the Katterskill Falls... A traffic light!

These falls were rushing at Katterskill Falls, and flowing redish water from the over run of Hurricaine Irene, and the current rainstorm coming up from Poughkipsee, NY. There was a lane closure 1 mile south of this photo on 23 East towards the NYS thruway, with a signal light to maintain the flow of traffice with only one lane open. 1/2 of the road was in repair from the wrath of Irene displaying eroded roads, barrier rock, and a dismantled guard rail. The roadways were wet and the descent was a little scary going back to the highway...I was glad to hook up with a couple of GS1200 riders (NJ riders) for the ride to the flats, and onto the highway for the first hour of my ride home to Long Island.
I will continue to support The Colors in the Catskills, and hope to see you there in 2012!
C O L O R S !!!
Ride Safe.
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpg
    IMG_3853.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 134
Not to be a downer but more and more people have less and less to do anything anymore......it is a terrible sign of the times unfortunately. Those of us who are blessed and fortunate may not feel it or see it.......I just hope it was the weather that kept people away.

Back