• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question for our Canadian friends

moralem

I am wondering if there is a way to obtain a BMW System 6 helmet from up north back to the states. I called one the dealers up north and they said that they could not ship to the US. They also said even if I came across the border they would have to have ID before selling it. Basically I would need to ride across the border find someone to go into the store with me and buy the helmet......go figure. Any ideas on how to get my hands on one of these.........Tried the UK but no response from any of the dealers I emailed. Thanks.

Schuberth makes the helmet. BMW is not DOT approved, Schuberth is DOT approved. Don't know why But that is enough for me lose interest.

Not Canadian but I am from CA. :blah

Not sure why you can't go into BC, buy a helmet and ride it back. The border agents aren't looking for DOT stickers.

I was going to buy a System 6 a couple years ago, was in BC, tried them on but the dealer I was at didn't have my size. Dangit. I could have gone to another dealer but didn't. There didn't seem to be any issue with them selling it to me.....my credit card is good wherever.

Not Canadian but I am from CA. :blah

Not sure why you can't go into BC, buy a helmet and ride it back. The border agents aren't looking for DOT stickers.

I was going to buy a System 6 a couple years ago, was in BC, tried them on but the dealer I was at didn't have my size. Dangit. I could have gone to another I dealer but didn't. There didn't seem to be any issue with them selling it to me.....my credit card is good wherever.

Well that is what I thought and called a local BC dealer and they told me that they would need to see my identification. Not that I am any where near the border.....but I located a long lost friend in Manchester, England that can ship me one. And they are a lot cheaper in England than Canada. 600 US.......I hope to have one soon along with the commnicatio piece to set up on my 2011 RT.

BMW is not DOT approved they won't give X number of helmuts to be destroyed , Schuberth makes BMW helmuts to the same standards.

IMHO

I have heard that Schuberth makes the exact same helmet for the States, but I have also heard and read that the BMW has less problems with leaking. And that the BMW overall fit and finish is a tad better. And no one on my block will have one.......

[QUOTEthey would have to have ID before selling it. [/QUOTE]

LOL There is not a dealer in BC that will not sell anything to anyone with the cash. I suspect that BMW Canada does not want to encourage cross boarder shopping. We're discouraged from buying bikes in the US, for a lot less money, just to protect the Canadian dealers. No doubt when the exchange rate flips the reverse is true. There may also be liability issues over the DOT sticker. However, in the dead of winter when the dealer has not sold anything all week your money isn't going to talk - it's going to scream! If you pay cash they might even give you a small discount. HAhahahahaha!

I have purchased two Enduro helmets (one in Germany and one in Canada) and my wife recently bought the Sport helmet in Vancouver. We live in California. I have never had a problem with the helmet not being DOT approved. It's important to me that the helmets are ECE (?) approved for safety in Europe.

In each case when my wife purchased a BMW helmet in Canada they asked for Canadian ID. She has her BC drivers license so that sufficed.

Perhaps there is a friend or fellow MOA member in Canada that would volunteer to buy and ship?

I love love love my Enduro helmet. Worth the $$ and no Schuberth equivalent in the United States. The baked-on anti-fog treatment on the faceshield is enough to justify the helmet. :)

No one has ever asked me to prove my ID when I purchased stuff in Canada. I've traveled in Canada extensively and lived there for a total of about 4 years in multiple stints. You may be able to get the VAT refunded at the border; sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

I cross over several times - never asked - I have been stopped for bringing smokes over to Canada & got caught - but never been caught bringing cigars back

There have been numerous threads on this very topic. BMW Canada has left strict instructions with its Canadian dealers that the System helmets are not to be sold to US customers.

The reason System helmets are available in Canada and elsewhere but not the US is not that they cannot be DOT certified. BMW does not want them sold in the litigious US market in order to prevent possible lawsuits.

I've heard that Canadian dealers can be subject to strict corporate sanctions for knowingly allowing helmets to get to the US market. For this reason, several years ago the corporate solution was to pull the System helmets from from the Canadian market altogether. Dealer lobbying got them back, and I don't think anyone wants to screw up that deal again. Hence the reluctance to sell to US customers.

How does the visor operate on the Enduro helmet? Based on pictures I can't tell how it goes up. Or does it just come off and then you use googles instead.

Back