• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet hair and other issues.

KJ6OCL

Geoxman
I'm not a woman, but I am married to one. I got back on a bike last year, picked up a 2000 R1200C, after many years without. I have been outfitting my wife, mid sixties, so that we can take some 2 - 4 day trips together, her as passenger. She has medium length (on the short side of medium) hair that is somewhat curly. Is there a way to mitigate the helmet hair problem? Also, on the two day trip we just took, she complained of a constant prickly feeling on the top of her head that she finds very annoying. I don't see any material reason for this to be happening. She is wearing a new 3/4 Bell. Any help from you gals out there would be much appreciated!

Get her a decent full face helmet and some nice Sliks helmet liners. (Google brings up just about every motorcycle online store for Sliks .) Personally I prefer the tube shaped cotton scarves that can be worn a dozen different ways and come in nice patterns, but if she is already suffering from the prickly feeling, she probably should try a Slik first.

On the helmet issue, I keep the helmet I had on years ago to show people what happens when you do a face plant. Without it I would have been killed, but what bothers people most is not that but that it would have been a closed coffin because much of my face would have been scraped off. I love my Nolan 103. Being able to pull your helmet on and off with your glasses in place is important in your mid-sixties. ;) She needs to make sure any helmet she chooses is comfortable and that has a lot to do with head shape, so it has to be a matter of trying them on and wearing them for long enough to be sure it is going to work for the length of the ride. Good motorcycle stores have sales people who can suggest the right type for your head size, but don't count on that.

Karl, maybe she would like to try a wig .

Many years ago at an event i noticed this older couple taking off their road gear and stowing it away.
The wife had a bad case of helmet hair, then suddenly it was gone !

She had pulled a wig out of the top box and slapped it on fast as all get out. We all got a big laugh about it.

I got my wife to try a Slick several years ago , we now have several in different colors. They really do work nicely.

Not a whole lot that can be done about helmet hair, I just accept it as a part of riding. I long ago gave up caring about what my hair looked like after 13 hours in the saddle on a hot day. :)

If she can, try to keep it in a pony, it helps. the helmet liners are great as well, I have one, but most times, i forget and leave it in a drawer. I do carry a Prana microfiber 'baseball' style cap, for those times when the fashion police demand that i look presentable. I also, when my hair is long enough, do a couple of French braids front to back.

I wonder if that prickly feeling is because the helmet doesn't fit right? Maybe too loose and its vibrating around or too tight and its cutting of circulation???????

When I used to wear my hair longer, besides using shampoo, I also used conditioner. This I found minimized the dreaded helmet hair. However, if your wife has normal female hair length, washing her hair on a daily basis would most likely not be an option. A ball cap often works for me.

I am also a member of the hat club. I used to always slap it on my head as soon as the helmet came off, but now I rarely wear it. I always carry one in my top case.

I am a hat person, but not because of helmet hair.

I just figured that 5 surgeries for skin cancer on my face was enough. (I'm a slow-learner, and soaked up way too much sun in my younger days...)

I pack a Tilley T4 in my saddlebag and it's with me everywhere I go.

Harry

Also have her check out H.A.D. headwear or something similar. I have several of these and they can be worn many different ways. (also good for cleaning glasses and shields! I still have helmet hair but at least I'm reasonably presentable in public with the helmet off.

H.A.D Headware

First, remember that the helmet is not a fashion accessory, it is safety equipment.
I suggest professional help with fitting, step up and pay for the best. I would not be
caught dead without full face protection. There are even models specially fitted for women,
such as the Schuberth C3W. Could the prickling sensation be due to inadequate ventilation?
Slik liners are helpful, I have one to wash and one to wear.

Speaking to my own hair (straight, baby fine in texture and cut in a short bob) I have a collapsible
travel brush in my tankbag that I use to brush out at stops, and when it is warm, I will often
use water from my Camelbak to wet my hands and fingers and massage it through my hair and scalp
to "fluff" it out and cool down.

AKsuited is right about sun protection, and a Tilley is better ventilated and I think generally more
appropriate in public than a ballcap. I always wear SPF 50 on my face under the helmet in addition.

Thanks to All

Thanks to all of you that have responded with helpful information! Diane is now looking into helmet liners. Plus the liner search has unveiled two hair products. Osis Powder, a before ride product, and M-Gen (Methogen) a post ride product. After we have had a chance to test all this "stuff", I'll post the results so that others might benefit. Although this may take a while, as our wet season is now starting, and although I will continue to ride, I'm sure that Diane will not!

Thanks again

I and my wife swear by Sliks liners.

Another female hair fix:

My wife has fairly long hair. She recently picked up a Schuberth C3W (women's version), in part because it has a recess in the rear shell padding to accommodate a lump of hair rolled into a bun.

I have fairly long hair and am also trying to grow it out even more. I have used helmet liners and do not use a liner. IMO, I don't think I have bad looking helmet hair. I ride to work every day. a good shampoo and conditioner and/or leave in conditioner should help. After taking helmet off, maybe brushing/combing it out might help. I don't use much hair spray. On longer trips, I may wear a hat. Camping and wearing a helmet, my hair may look a little worse but still not bad. I think that helmet liners may tend to make my head itch versus not using a helmet liner. I wear full face helmet.

Being the hot babe that I am, I can strongly recommend Mario's helmet liner.

Okay, okay, did I fool anyone? I'm running outdoor plumbing. However I do have some hair and it's a bit on the fine side, albeit somewhat gray, not thin - fine.

I wrestled with the LDComfort liner for a while but it turned out to be more a problem with the Schuberth C3 I wear than the liner. Seems the LDComfort liner seams on the temple lined up perfectly with the seams on the C3. Mario and I talked about it and he has since moved the seams bit outward.

I just got back from a 1200 miles run to Tucson and back and the LDComfort liner kept my - oh so sweet - gray locks in place comfortably.

Bottom line is, there's not much you can do with "Hair by Helmet" hairstyles. You can get them a bit more under control with a good liner.

I recommend LDComfort liners as my number one, the helmet Buff as my number two.

Back