• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Routes across Pennsylvania - help needed

E

Earache

I have a business meeting in CT that I have to attend during the first week of October and I thought I'd ride to it. So I need some help as to what the good roads are crossing PA from west to east.

I'll be leaving the Zaneville, Ohio area (right on I-70) and heading to Allentown for the first night. The most direct route is only 390 miles, so I can easily afford to add another 250 miles to that so I can see some better roads.

The second day of riding will be from Allentown to Waterbury, CT - a whopping 180 miles. I 'd like to head north from Allentown and through the Catskills before heading southeast into CT.

Of course, I'll be coming back the same way a few days later, so I should have plenty of time to do some extra riding.

Any suggestions of roads that I need to ride? Restaurants I need to eat at? Places I need to see?

It'll probably be leaf watching season by then, so I expect some traffic to contend with, even on back roads.

US 6 is a low stress road across PA. Lots of other choices too, but all needing a bit of planning if you're staying off the highway.

I have ridden only a portion of route 6 and have to say I am eagerly looking forward to riding the rest of it. I have also done the "all highway" route across PA into OH and all I can say is B O R I N G ! I went 276 mile without touching the clutch or shifter. I am amazed I stayed awake!

As for Rt 6, to me it is just a 2 lane slab, too straight, too much traffic, too many towns, too many LEO's.

Time of day and day of the week has a lot to do with it. I left Niagara Falls at daybreak on a Sunday and got to Allentown about 3PM. The last few hours could have been better, but the first several were perfect. Much of that trip was on rte. 6.

On days other than Sunday, I'd get out the Delorme and plot a two lane route.

E-W routes in Southern PA are hard to come by. Here are some suggestions a little N.

As for Rt 6, to me it is just a 2 lane slab, too straight, too much traffic, too many towns, too many LEO's. It is as boring as the interstate, just slower.

The 120 is a much better ride. Here is a link

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...&ll=41.668809,-77.947998&spn=3.360473,7.13562

As far as food, yesterdays on the W end of Renovo has good food and soups.

I agree with 120 as a good route.
If you have time take 44 north from Renovo to Galeton and route 6. then East on 6.
The Sportsman's on the East end of Renovo is always a good stop for food!!

Jason

Thanks for the ideas, all.:wave
Nice looking route pffog - I'll probably give that one a go.

Thanks for the ideas, all.:wave
Nice looking route pffog - I'll probably give that one a go.

If you do, and have time, about 5 miles E of Renovo look for the small sign pointing to a road to the left, that will take you yo Hyner view, it is worth the trip for a great view, and a neat little road running up.

If you pass the little church on the R on 120, you just missed your turn, up that road about a mile or so, and hang a right to the access road.

If you do, and have time, about 5 miles E of Renovo look for the small sign pointing to a road to the left, that will take you yo Hyner view, it is worth the trip for a great view, and a neat little road running up.

If you pass the little church on the R on 120, you just missed your turn, up that road about a mile or so, and hang a right to the access road.

I'll put it down on my route sheet and try to find it.

Thanks again.

A word of caution if you do decide on Route 6, near Towanda and Wysox. They were hit by TS Lee pretty bad in that area. When we went through there last weekend, they were still cleaning up mud and debris on damaged roadways.

Back