• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1978 r100/7 with trailer???

RCOWGILL

Looking to improve our two-up camping trips..
a small cargo trailer might just do the trick..
Looking for a bike hitch.. brands? pro? con?
Any suggestions?
Thanks..

The Bushtec Trailer is the only way to go, it's made for a motorcycle and we have towed one for over 250,000 miles with my 1977 R100RS that now has 499,000 miles.
I have a Reynolds hitch that is no longer in production but come up for sale now and again.
You need a swivel hitch never just a ball type they are dangerous.

Last edited:
With ref to swivle hitch pulling a trailer let me tell you a story. Years ago I was pulling a trailer with a ball hitch going 70 mph and passed a car on the left. As soon as I passed this car cut left and hit the trailer. The trailer went up on its side, staide there and drug me to a stop. If I had been using a swivle hitch the trailer went up on its top or keep flipping and I am sure this would have taken the bike down. The only damage was a bent tung and road rish on the side of the trailer. Thank about this and make you own choice.

I've never pulled a trailer. But like you I'm looking to pull a small trailer to improve my camping experience. I've heard good things about The Piggybacker trailer. www.piggybacker.com. The features that stands out on this trailer is the torsion bar suspension and swivel hitch. Looks like it goes for about $1000, which is in my price range. I'm going to pull it with a R100 and a K100. I have acquired Reynolds hitches to mount to the bikes. I believe the Reynolds hitch number your looking for is R-700 ; R bikes from '74-'84. Good luck with your project.

In gear section,trailer towing or such.

well, that's what my "something on this somewhere before" hyperlink was qued to ... "trailer" threads in the "Gear" section, but it seems to have broken....

Some of us unenlightened but handy souls have trailers that are made from a small Harbor Freight trailer with a cargo box atop it, Sears Ex-cargo for example. Many have "tarted up" these units very cleverly and have had a fun time doing so.

This unit needs to be self assembled and in many cases the Ex-cargo box can be found at yard sales etc. My trailer is model 90153 which presently sells for $259.99. 1,090 lb capacity with 12" wheels/tires. shipping weight about 160 lbs + Ex Cargo.

I believe that you will find that this combo will cost a bit less than the professionally built units. If you require a purpose built perhaps color coordinated trailer, then I am sure that you will find the pro built units to satisfy this need. I feel kinda good having a nice economical rig that with a friends help was not very hard at all to realize.

I pull with an R90/6 equipped with a Reynolds hitch. I upgraded to LED lights which simplified the turn signal situation as well as power consumption.

If I were going to pull a trailer with a motorcycle it would be a single wheel type, like a Unigo or some of the others I have seen in Europe and on ADV rider.

A friend has a Unigo he pulls with a BMW LT, he loves that thing. I can honestly say I have followed him at speed and the trailer is rock steady.

True the Unigo is pricey, but heck this is a BMW forum and we all know it's a contest to see who can spend the most money on farkles .
( even though us AirHead types don't all subscribe to that theory)

While I rarely ride two up any longer , when we did, we managed just fine with two saddle bags and a tank bag. Never really felt the need to take along so much stuff we needed a trailer.:hug

Now that we are of an age it seems we do in fact have more crap to tote, but SWMBO prefers to travel by car anyway :dunno

I often wonder what all these trailer pulling folks have in those things and if they really need all that stuff. :scratch

My travel packing theory is to pre-pack two days ahead of departure, and then put 1/2 of the stuff back away the night before I leave. :thumb

I can understand towing a trailer if you are a camper , I am not a camper any longer.

Uncle Sam cured me of two things, camping and shooting guns. Got more than my share , thank you very much. :whistle

I like the idea of camping , just not doing it anymore.:thumb

Thanks

Thank you for all your suggestions.. Headed out 17Jul from Denver, CO to Sedalia, MO.. Hope to see ya there, so I can see more of what you're talking about..

Back