• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

US 421 east from Lexington? Advice?

mieczkow

Tom Mieczkowski
My friend from Detroit is riding south and I am riding north with a plan to meet in Lexington KY. A little searching on the web has led me to look at US 421. The idea I have is we pick it up just south of Lexington and then head southeast following it into TN and the Carolinas.

We have done the Cherohala and the Blue Ridge in the past and I was thinking of US 421 as something a little different. I've done some web searching on "the snake" and it seems like an interesting ride. We are cruisers and we are looking for a relaxing ride - don't mind twisties but we're not out to do any Isle of Man type racing.

Any thoughts to share on this route? Any recommendations?

Thanks for any pointers!

Tom Mieczkowski
1987 K75S

421...the end

If you look at your map, you will find that 421 comes to an end at the mouth of the Cape Fear river, South of Wilmington, NC. I live there.

I have ridden 421 from one end to the other and the section that contains some of the best riding is from Mountain City TN to Boone, NC.

421 out of Boone used to be a good road for bikes; but it has been made into a 4 lane truck friendly route. My recommendation is to get off 421 South of Boone and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway North toward Mt. Airy, NC. From there, you can catch highway 52 to Winston Salem and take Business 40 to Interstate 74 toward Asheboro. This will quickly turn into highway 421 South to the coast.

I actually chose to take a longer route. I stay on the BRP to Meadows of Dan, VA and hit highway 58 South.

You have your choice of two good motorcycle campgrounds near mt. Airy. Freebourne's, North of Elkin and on the Parkway and Willville Motorcycle Campground at Meadows of Dan.

Be certain to fill your tanks on Highway 58 near Willville; cheapest prices around and it is non-ethanol.

421 in Ky.

Great road, lots of little towns for gas/snacks. If you take 421S from Lex, you'll go near a town called Berea. Great place to eat in that town. Boone Tavern http://www.boonetavernhotel.com/restaurant.asp

Great eats and motorcycle friendly.

From Hyden, Ky to Harlan, Ky is a blast to ride. Lots of twisties. Be aware of your lane position, especially this time of the year. Tobacco wagons and coal trucks.

Ride safe and enjoy!!
C

For more info on hwy 58 mentioned above(and depending on if, you like mtn music?) google "The Crooked Road" in VA for some cultural/travel info ,etc..:violin: :dance violin::dance violin :thumb

I rode it from Indy all the way into TN when we did the Dragon last year. There is some little town Greensburg, IN I think that has a good photo op of a tree growing out of the town hall bell tower. Crossing the Ohio river from IN into KY in a beautiful stretch as well. We liked the scenery very much on that ride. Some stretches were better than others but I think you will enjoy the route.

For more info on hwy 58 mentioned above(and depending on if, you like mtn music?) google "The Crooked Road" in VA for some cultural/travel info ,etc..:violin: :dance violin::dance violin :thumb

I live near the road and can assure you that "The Crooked Road" is appropriate for much of Rt 58 (especially between Damascus, Va and Volney, Va where it joins with Rt 16).

I live near the road and can assure you that "The Crooked Road" is appropriate for much of Rt 58 (especially between Damascus, Va and Volney, Va where it joins with Rt 16).

AMEN to that! :thumb
And pretty too!
But make sure you have a full tank of gas and empty bladder

I was there last Sunday and the trees are at their fall peak right now.

Back