• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Honk at Animals?

jogitu

My wife and get a kick out of blowing the horn at animals on our trips. OK, I am the one technically pushing the button but she plays along. Sounds quite silly and childish but sometimes it is a hoot. Sheep most times will run away as a herd. Chickens by the road side freak out quite nicely. Goats act like sheep and run away in a herd. Have yet to run across fainting goats but that would be awesome. Horses on rare occasions buck or scare. Cows hardly pick up their heads and maybe one will look. On one occasion we were heading towards a herd directly before we hit a 90 degree curve. One of the cows freaked with us coming at him and started a mini stampede. All of this is quite silly but it makes us laugh and no real animals were hurt while making this film. Today we startled a large herd of sheep that ran away quickly which of course made us quite happy. It always makes me laugh and I asked my wife "do you think anyone else does this"? So are we alone in this guilty pleasure or are there other sickos out there participating in this future PETA picketed activity?

I occasionally get held up by a line of geese crossing the road. They pretty much ignore my horn, but sometimes one of them will honk back at me.

And I thaught we were the only insane ones! Me and the girfriend do it all the time! W honk and wave just like we would to our friends!!LOL.

It's very cheap entertainment!

Cattle caller horn on the Vstrom. Riding by a pasture of cows, every last one of them will look at you. It has spooked more than a few calfs too -- turning around looking for mama.

A week ago in Cape Breton on the Salty Fog Rally, the rest of the group was avoiding a small pack of dogs -- one blast on the horn sent them all back to the side of the road.

And it brought a smile to every kid waiting on the school bus and waving to us as we rode past. :dance

6158992754_a6e7f9c3f6_b.jpg

I have always done it. It always makes me smile when they look up at you. I figure it can not be any worse than a group of Harleys going by.

My wife and get a kick out of blowing the horn at animals on our trips. OK, I am the one technically pushing the button but she plays along. Sounds quite silly and childish but sometimes it is a hoot. Sheep most times will run away as a herd. Chickens by the road side freak out quite nicely. Goats act like sheep and run away in a herd. Have yet to run across fainting goats but that would be awesome. Horses on rare occasions buck or scare. Cows hardly pick up their heads and maybe one will look. On one occasion we were heading towards a herd directly before we hit a 90 degree curve. One of the cows freaked with us coming at him and started a mini stampede. All of this is quite silly but it makes us laugh and no real animals were hurt while making this film. Today we startled a large herd of sheep that ran away quickly which of course made us quite happy. It always makes me laugh and I asked my wife "do you think anyone else does this"? So are we alone in this guilty pleasure or are there other sickos out there participating in this future PETA picketed activity?

You are not alone out there! :whistle

Hmmm. Any ranchers out there? I wonder if they might feel that needlessly stirring up a herd of livestock might be a bad thing.

Hmmm. Any ranchers out there? I wonder if they might feel that needlessly stirring up a herd of livestock might be a bad thing.

I'm not a rancher, but live amongst them, and I can tell you that they take a dim view of anything that causes the cattle to needlessly burn calories. Ranchers make their money on the difference between the weight of the cattle at purchase and their sale. Anything that that takes away from that weight gain is bad.

Honking at grazing cattle is not only childish, but does nothing to promote our sport.

Tom

I have never done that to any animals but I love honking the horn when I pass a golf course when a golfer is about to swing!:whistle

Guilty!

I have never done that to any animals but I love honking the horn when I pass a golf course when a golfer is about to swing!:whistle

I'll do the same thing!! This winter I'm adding a Stebel Nautilus to the RT. The golfers will LOVE that!

Guess we're the "bad boys" of the Beemer world.. 1%'ers. HAHA

Just to move the deer about to cross, it tends to work most of the time and they head back in the direction that they came from.

I'll do the same thing!! This winter I'm adding a Stebel Nautilus to the RT. The golfers will LOVE that!

Guess we're the "bad boys" of the Beemer world.. 1%'ers. HAHA

I'm a golfer and will agree that, unlike livestock, scaring the "herd" and burning off a few calories is a good thing. :thumb

I tried to honk a large herd of goats off a narrow ranch road recently. The rancher was not in sight, but the three Great Pyrenees herd watchers were not pleased with me driving thru the middle and ruining all their work. One gave chase and I had to get on down the road.

I honk at golfers at the driving range and goats a lot :whistle rarely at deer as they are already insane and do not need any help. Our local free ranging cattle couldn't give a rats tail about honking, they will not moooo-ve out of the way until you almost bump them off the road. Now, the little ones will go crazy at moments notice...without a honk.

Attachments

• P1010023.jpg
    P1010023.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
The crazy calves...very unpredictable:uhoh

Attachments

• cows on Johnson City road (4).jpg
    cows on Johnson City road (4).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 152
Air Horns and Little Wisconsin Deer

1998 on /5 near midnight in upstate Wisconsin. Tired as hour 20 approaching. Kept seeing these 'little deer' on the side of the road. hmmmmm :scratch, I ponder, maybe if I use the airhorns they will be alerted to my presence and stay put. (loud horn sound) Dozens of the critters suddenly appeared, leaping to and fro like excited grasshoppers, directly in my path. Sudden stop with the sound of the idling motor hushed by the sound of a pounding heart. I don't honk for the critters any more. I do like Tom's cattle caller though. - Bob

I don't honk around livestock. I ride many county roads that are open range and there are lots of goats, sheep and cattle. Those are somebody's income and treat them with respect. I don't want them tromping through my networks or server farms so why should I harass their animals? On top of that, I've been told by many ranchers that the sheep are more delicate than the goats and cattle. They have a tendency to damage hips when they panic scatter. Makes them less useful for income at that point.

I have to tell my favorite "don't honk" story. Voni and I were riding through Crazy Woman Canyon, on a nice gravel road southwest of Buffalo, Wyoming. We encountered a herd of several hundred sheep being guided by a dog or two and three guys on horseback. The canyon road was bounded on one side by the creek and on the other side by fairly steep embankments. We were headed north - they were headed south.

One of the riders (horse type) advised we should just proceed slowly. He said they would split and get out of our way. Then he said, "Whatever you do, don't honk your horns or we'll be chasing them to round them up all week."

As I was in the middle of the herd I glanced at my horn button with a somewhat evil thought, when I recalled that each of those horsemen had a fairly large rifle in a scabbard on his saddle. I decided honking the horn would be mean and stupid and didn't.

I don't honk around livestock. I ride many county roads that are open range and there are lots of goats, sheep and cattle. Those are somebody's income and treat them with respect.
Ditto that. I don't honk at animals because I've never seen the point in stirring them up.

Back