• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

lean in vs lean out

tomtietjen

slowrider
I'm getting ready to mount a sidecar on an HD ( I know its not a BMW but my GS is watching the procedure ) the Hd manual says to use 1 degree of lean in on the bike and the yellow book states up to 2 degrees of lean out. Can any one tell me what works best or is it all trial and error.

Here is how I set lean on my rig. I attached a small RV level in the center of the handle bar. I loaded the side car as I intended to ridg. I set on the bike. At this point the level buble should be to the right of the line about 1/2 the buble. When on the road the road crown should bring to buble back to the center. You want to fiddle with untill the buble is in the center MOST OF THE TIME.

Jack Ethridge
Ocala Fl
jethridge4@cox.net

I'd post your question on the Hacks forum on ADVRider. Lots of very experienced folks there willing to help.

Harley Car?

If you are mounting a Harley car on a harley bike follow the Harley instructions as the starting point. The Harley car has no suspention. They are expecting that the rider is going to load the bike suspention and there will be a resulting leanout. That is, the bike will sag but the car will not. If you are mounting a car with suspention start with some leanout. I use a magnetic angle finder on the rear brake rotor. Harold in Kansas

Talked to some hack riders at a rally this past weekend and got several different opinions, general consenses was to end up with the bike being vertical under rider and passenger load on a normal road crown.

lean out - lean in - the proper term is camber

The proper term is camber. In laymans terms that is when top of the wheels are leaned away or towards each other. If you lean the tires towards each other at the top that would be negative camber or lean in. In this configuration the wheels will be fighting towards each other trying to push each other. When the tires are leaned away from each other at the top that would be positive camber or lean out. In this position the wheels are compensating for the crown of the road.
This is where it gets tricky. You as a rider must find the best positive camber / lean out to compensate for the road crown and your weight load on the bike and sidecar. The road crown changes on every road and every few hundred feet. As previously posted the Harley book recomends lean in. This is why so many Harley riders complain about the pull to the right. The bike needs to compensate for the crown and that determines how much positive camber / lean out you require.
Harley dealers for the most part will setup according to the book. Some will tell you who the local expert is if you want that issue dealt with.

Last edited:
my rig , a bonnie with a cosy

wants to drift right most of the time. so many variables ....its tough to adjust camber without affecting toe in. i think this stuff is an acquired skill. need a lot of patience. getting there, though. i do stick a 50 lb bag of sand from home depot in the car when nobody's in there.

6205633999_753b181e47_z.jpg

6121379892_98cce90f28.jpg

sidecar ballast

Get rid of the sand, buy one of those 5 gal calapsable water jugs. You can empty it anywhere when you pick up some other ballast (people groceries etc) and fill it just about anywhere.

Sidecarguy

HD w/HD Sidecar

Set your rig up like Harley says...lean in. Go ride the rig around where you expect to be doing most of your riding. If on average the rig pulls to the right...try less lean in. If on average it pulls left ....try more lean in. With the three point mounting system my '72 Harley has, the toe in is not changed by changes in lean.

Ended up with a slight leanout and 3/4 inch of toe in with no load on the bike. Gives me a pretty neutral ride on the straights. I can see now why every combination of bike,rider & sidecar might be different. Gotta say a sidehack is the coolest thing I've ever ridden.
Thanks for everyones comments.

Back