• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Marcus Dairy is Gone! Wheres your new spots?

biketrax

So now that Marcus Dairy is Gone!
Wheres your new spots??

I will start off with a few:
"Toymaker" Falls Village, CT. Bangers and eggs! Unreal Waffles!
"O'niells" Bethel, Ct, Good Grub!
"Molten Java" Bethel, Ct, Good Coffee, Weds Night Vintage night!

Rode by the old Marcus site yesterday. Its just a pile of dirt and the water tower. Whole Foods going to be built there. There is no way you can force that kind of crowd of bikers to meet again, it just has to happen. All it takes is 2 bikes to be parked somewhere and have 2 other bikers notice them and pull over....and it begins.

Oddly enough, I rode by there yesterday as well (went to look at Moto Guzzis, just for kicks). I was shocked to see that it was gone. It was featured in a Kawasaki print ad years ago. I used to go there sat nights with my car and back again sunday morning with the bike.

I used to go there all the time back in the 70's and 80's. Started getting out of control by the mid 90's.

Vanilla Bean Restaraunt in NE CT (Pomfret) always has a bunch of bikes on Sunday morning, and great breakfast too.

Try the Toy Maker's Cafe mornings, Thursday thru Sunday in Falls Village, Ct. It is off of Route 7 in the center of the village. Always a crowd of bikes. Be careful of the parking lot, not paved and is uneven. The owner works on bikes the other days. Good food and a great ride to get there from any where, east, west, north or south. I think he only does breakfast and maybe lunch, not sure.

Yep he does lunch, next time I go there I am going to try the bacon, tomato and peanut butter on rye.

Kent

Try Kent town center on a Sunday morning/afternoon. Lots of bikes, and you can park, sit outside in front of Kent Coffee & Chocolate Co., and enjoy a coffee and the sights. Nice little shops, lots of bikes!!

Toymakers is starting to be dominated by Harley's it seems.

Try Kent town center on a Sunday morning/afternoon. Lots of bikes, and you can park, sit outside in front of Kent Coffee & Chocolate Co., and enjoy a coffee and the sights. Nice little shops, lots of bikes!!

Toymakers is starting to be dominated by Harley's it seems.[/QUOTE]

Say it ain't so!

So where does a guy in southern CT go now that marcus is gone? I leave the state for 12 years and this is what happens?

I rode by there last Sunday and there seems to be bikes starting to gather in the back of the lot by the Panera Bread Restaurant. It was only 40 something degrees so there was the Touring types but it seems like it might become something once Spring arrives. A guy I was talking to said there was a pretty regular group starting to show up there.

Kind of strange seeing a mini mall on those grounds though, that's going to get some getting used to.. ( but the coffee at Panera was definitely better!)

I used to go there all the time back in the 70's and 80's. Started getting out of control by the mid 90's.

Vanilla Bean Restaraunt in NE CT (Pomfret) always has a bunch of bikes on Sunday morning, and great breakfast too.

Just curious....what do you mean when you say "getting out of control" ? I've never been so I really have no clue. But like most, have heard of it, seen pictures from there.

We have locally a similar place to 'meet-up'. Not famous or anything outside the area, just a simple coffee shop w/a large parking lot, in a popular area. Mostly 'hot' cars on Sat / Motorcycles on Sun. Most of them are standards,bobbers,vintage,sport, touring,..etc...Not the atypical loud pipe & chrome crowd. So I do understand it is nice to have such a place,..and would miss ours if lost.

one of the reasons that the Dairy got closed down

was due to an accident that happened when a sports bike was riding a wheeling past the front of the restaurant and an older couple on a large wing tried to pull out into traffic. I hear that the result wasn't pretty.

I would call that "out of control".

YMMV

was due to an accident that happened when a sports bike was riding a wheeling past the front of the restaurant and an older couple on a large wing tried to pull out into traffic. I hear that the result wasn't pretty.

I would call that "out of control".

YMMV

I see...

WOW! that's a double whammy...The hooligan shouldn't have been hooligan[ing] But the older rider shouldn't have pulled out @ the wrong time either. I can sure see the 'not pretty' . As I said, both shared in that incident , but {IMO} the hooligan riding is doing the most harm for the motorcycling community than just about anything.

Just look at the "Dragon" incidents & now enforcement. I've been up & down it several times. Going back to when it was quiet.

Way back when, I rode to the Dairy with a friend. He had his new wife on the back of his Rebel and was riding my NightHawk 650. A sport bike stood straight up and after a little wobbling, the rider bailed. I watched in horror as a riderless bike careened toward my friends, somehow my buddy Bill managed to avoid getting taken out. That is just a glimpse of how out of control it eventually got.

Way back when, I rode to the Dairy with a friend. He had his new wife on the back of his Rebel and was riding my NightHawk 650. A sport bike stood straight up and after a little wobbling, the rider bailed. I watched in horror as a riderless bike careened toward my friends, somehow my buddy Bill managed to avoid getting taken out. That is just a glimpse of how out of control it eventually got.

Seems that some , sometimes only one...with an over whelming need to feed their own over bloated ego will ruin it every time , for everyone.....:banghead

Marcus dairy started out as a place for BMW's, Guzzi's, euro touring bikes and the like to meet. Gradually over the years it became a madhouse with super sundays full of vendors and such. STILL I liked going there. Turbo Tommy the redheaded kid on hiz Z1 started the wheelie burnout craze. The not so talented are the ones that caused issues. But you could find any bike you wanted there. So many bikes!
Regardless I miss it and will return now that I hear this panera place is hosting. Maybe we should start from the beginning with BMW's and Guzzi's again. I had a Guzzi back then.
I remember riding my souped up Honda 900F there and taking off north on a death ride with a bunch of canadian imported RG500 Gamma racer boys. God those things were fast. I sold my 900F less then a week later and got my R60/5. Screw that crazy crap..Had my fill that last day.
But early on I would ride the 30 miles of twisty's there on my Guzzi or honda or SR500 in the company of R90s and long legged ducati's with some hot jap bikes thrown in. Then sneak into the abandoned fairgrounds and do laps on the abandoned race track. Ahh the good old days. Wish I was 25 instead of 60! WTF.

Marcus dairy started out as a place for BMW's, Guzzi's, euro touring bikes and the like to meet. Gradually over the years it became a madhouse with super sundays full of vendors and such. STILL I liked going there. Turbo Tommy the redheaded kid on hiz Z1 started the wheelie burnout craze. The not so talented are the ones that caused issues. But you could find any bike you wanted there. So many bikes!
Regardless I miss it and will return now that I hear this panera place is hosting. Maybe we should start from the beginning with BMW's and Guzzi's again. I had a Guzzi back then.
I remember riding my souped up Honda 900F there and taking off north on a death ride with a bunch of canadian imported RG500 Gamma racer boys. God those things were fast. I sold my 900F less then a week later and got my R60/5. Screw that crazy crap..Had my fill that last day.
But early on I would ride the 30 miles of twisty's there on my Guzzi or honda or SR500 in the company of R90s and long legged ducati's with some hot jap bikes thrown in. Then sneak into the abandoned fairgrounds and do laps on the abandoned race track. Ahh the good old days. Wish I was 25 instead of 60! WTF.

I hear ya....64 here.

Our local place, Fuel Coffee...is still mostly Euro Bikes, Vintage & Scooters. The Cincy Mods & Rockers are probably the largest gathering group & promoters of the meet-ups. So far it is mostly tire kickin' & BS'in over good coffee. ....A nice way to spend a couple hours on a Sunday morn.....

Back