• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headed to Frisco,CO 2 up on R1100RT.

brhartw

Hi,

The wife and I are going to ride to Frisco,Co next week from Southern California. First day to hurricane ,Utah and then pick up 89 on up to the 70 east into Frisco.

Is the 89 a nice road to ride. I prefer not to put too many miles on the interstate. We are leaving on the 14th and need to be in Frisco for a wedding on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for any advice!

Brad

On theway home we'll try 50 across through Morrison into Grand Junction and 70 and 15 home.

Brad,

U.S 89 north to I-70 is OK. Lonely in many places with a nice diet of sweepers. It is certainly preferable to the parallel running I-15.

That said, here is what you really want to do. Before reaching Panguitch on U.S. 89, turn right onto magical UT 12. In the minds of more than a few, this is one of the best rides in the country. You will pass through a stacked line-up of parks and monuments... including Red Canyon, Bryce, and Escalante. Truly stunning and memorable, and the swerving/dipping road through it all is exquisite. At Torrey connect with UT 24 east for the journey through Capitol Reef National Park. UT 24 will take you all the way to I-70. Here's the map...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...d08lr-Q&vpsrc=6&gl=us&mra=mi&mrsp=4&sz=11&z=8

If you really want to avoid the interstate and you have flexibility/time, I would head south on UT 95 at Hanksville, aim for SW Colorado, then take your pick of amazing Colorado Rockies riding all the way to Frisco. Or perhaps return this way.

Steve

We're back!

OK. Cathi and I rode 2 up to Frisco, CO. for her first cross country trip. 2200 miles round trip and she loved it! She is a very good passenger, sits very neutral and takes lots of pictures...when its appropriate. Our trip included Zion National Park, Scenic byway 12 and 24, the Colorado Monument, twice, and of course long runs down 70 and 15.

I was a bit nervous about the weather as thunderstorms were predicted all the way to Frisco and then cold and rain there. They were right about the thunderstorms, we watched them drop rain all over the desert but only once on us! As we entered St. George on day one, for about 10 minutes. Then back to sunshine and dry pavement.

So the thunderstorms were no problem at all. Lucky? I suppose.

Bike ran great all the way out and back. One afternoon as were getting to destination, it was hard starting and stalled at a couple of stop signs, but once back up to speed, ran great. next morning it was fine. Probably just too hot outside and maybe the oil pressure was a bit lower that usual. Engine temp read fine.

A great trip.

Brad :dance

Back