• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boston to Lima

I would be interested in suggested routes to the Rally from Boston. I'm not sure if I will have to slab it one way or not. So, what would you do if you had 1,2, or 3 days to do the trip. Thanks.

steve gray said:
I would be interested in suggested routes to the Rally from Boston. I'm not sure if I will have to slab it one way or not. So, what would you do if you had 1,2, or 3 days to do the trip. Thanks.

I'd head down through southern NY state and across central Penn. From there, head into southeastern OH and ride the roads along the Ohio River.

Sights to see on the way? Cooperstown for the baseball Hall of Fame, Corning, NY if they're still giving the tours, and Latrobe PA for a tour of the Rolling Rock brewery. After that, make sure to visit Wright Patterson or make the jump across the river to Bourbon County, Kentucky. Some of the tours of the distilleries are quite fun. Frankfort, KY has a bunch of them.

That would be the three/four day tour.

One day? I90 to 84 to 81 to 80 and across to 77 to 70 and then on into Lima if memory serves. It's a big, big day.

i'm pretty sure i'll be doing it in 1 day,

but if you've got more time, dave's right, the roads along the PA/OH border are neat, and its interesting there, at least where i crossed, lots of old service stations converted to drive through mini-marts where someone did the shopping for you while you sat on the bike, if you so wished

very strange

BubbaZanetti said:
i'm pretty sure i'll be doing it in 1 day,

but if you've got more time, dave's right, the roads along the PA/OH border are neat, and its interesting there, at least where i crossed, lots of old service stations converted to drive through mini-marts where someone did the shopping for you while you sat on the bike, if you so wished

very strange

In Ohio they actually have drive through liquor stores in some places. :drink

Drive Thru

Unfortunately the Drive Thru's are limited to beer, wine, and the watered down booze(21 %). But, it is nice to have them load you up while in the car or on the bike. :drink :cry

If you are able to take Ohio SR 541 from I-77 west to Martinsburg, it is worth the trip, and then you can take some back roads up to Lima.

DO NOT TAKE RT. 68 IN PENNSYLVANIA. It looks like a shortcut to Stuebenville, OH and SR 7, but it it 30 miles of a 35 mph speed limt.

Biff :doh

oh man, rt 68 is where my alternator self destructed this fall, i managed to make it all the way to wooster on the battery. i never thought that road was gonna end..............

It looks like a grat shortcut to I-79, but it is a slap in the face. Why didn't you go to Mathias in New Philly? It is closer to 68 than Wooster.

Sorry about the alternator.

haha, it was a case of "denying the inevitable" and trying to push the thing as far as i could, for the sake of my traveling partners.........

I intend to take 3-4 days out and will go roughly as sausage boy suggests. I've been playing with my mapsource program to make a nearly all backroads route there. I intend to do zero "shopping" or other extraneous sight-seeing on the way, although I do want to see the "Pennsylvania Grand Canyon". I intend to spend as much of my time as possible RIDING. :D

I will shop at the rally where I hope to see lots of goodies for the R1200GS. :clap

Back