• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for ride advice from Forum knowledge bank

GSBikeKev

Qualified Fecal Stirrer
Hi, I am looking for any suggestions and advice for a ride I am planning for next spring/summer. I know it may seem a little early, but I am going Afghanistan for four months and want to gather as much info as possible to dig through during my tour. We are looking for recommended stays, things to see along the way, as well as any dos or donts along the way. My son and I are wanting to ride the Tail of the Dragon. We live in North Central West Virginia. I have found that it looks like a logical side trip would be hitting the Back of the Dragon on the way down, other than that I have really no other research into the trip so far. I will be riding my 99 K1200RS, and my son will be on his Honda crotch rocket 600 somethingorother. We would like to make it a nice three or four day trip. Thanks in advance for the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Screen Shot 2011-08-22 at 7.59.50 PM.jpg

Lots of other great roads, with less traffic, and just as many, or more corners. If you must ride the dragon, do it early in the morning and mid week, fewer clowns then.

If staying around there I like the Phillips motel in Robbinsville.

PM me if you want, and i will hook you up with some great lesser known roads.

I live a couple of miles from the Back of the Dragon. I had to ride the Tail of the Dragon to see what I was missing. I rode most of the day to get there and was terribly disappointed because I left better riding that there is at the Tail of the Dragon. I mapped out additional rides near the Back of the Dragon that are great rides that will keep you riding for the best part of a week or more. They include parts of VA, WV, TN and NC. Most of the rides are 150 to 200 miles long and all have mountains and many curves. PM me your e-mail address and I will send 7 to you. You can rent a cabin at Hungry Mother State Park near Marion, VA (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/hun.shtml) and enjoy a great vacation for not a lot of money.

Thanks for the advice. I know that the "Tail" is more of a tourist attraction than a great place to ride. There are plenty of great roads all around where I live here in WV that I love to ride. It has just been a fun goal my son and I have thrown around for a couple of years. Every time we see a sticker on a bike we always look at each other, smile and say some day! Thats why I want to gather as much info for other things to see, do and ride on the way down, around and on the return trip to do.

Our only opportunity will be when my daughter goes to a summer camp some time next summer (specific week is undetermined as of yet) so we will have only around a four day window.

Back