• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Gould - Rand Cutoff

sfarson

There is a fine high country unpaved road connecting two great riding roads. It isn't uncommon for the ride-for-the-road connoisseur to make menu plans for the Cache La Poudre - North Park Scenic Byway (CO 14) and then make the second course a southward transit on the sublime CO 125 over Willow Creek Pass. Or vice versa.

Of course one can continue north on both roads for a refill, refuel, or relieve stop in Walden. If not wanting or needing any of the preceding, then one can be treated to a 14 mile linking cutoff ride circling through a few serious ranches and climbing high to this-is-how-the-Utes-saw-it views of North Park down below. Most any street bike can make this in dry conditions, and a dual-sport would thrive here.

Here's the map...
gouldrandmap.jpg

If you want to move through the setting, a three minute vid...

http://youtu.be/Qgb_oD-JNvg

OK, you have ridden west on CO 14 along the crashing white water of the Poudre River, also ascending and descending the Continental Divide at Cameron Pass. 70 miles, zero stoplights. North of Gould a few miles look for Jackson County 27 (the cutoff) leading west. As a Wing passes, note the sign pointing the way to Rand. Can also see on the far left the road through the forest...
gouldrand1.jpg

Here is the pause before North Park. The Arapahoe National Wildlife Refuge is in the distance. This is also Moose country. Except for the road base under the idling GS, one would be challenged to note anything changed since the Utes probably paused here on their ponies, surveying their domain...
northpark.jpg

Cottony clouds hang suspended as if on some kind of invisible line. That's the Rabbit Ears Range in the distance. Not a bad two wheeled traverse...
gouldrand2.jpg

Here's the Rand store, open Thurs-Sun. A fine stop for a light lunch, a browse of books and crafts, and a reflection or two of the big space and big solitude. The vid concludes with the arrival here...
randstore.jpg

i got busted on CO 125 once, for riding 125mph. This was well north of Walden, though... almost to Wyoming.

told mr. trooper that i thought the road sign was the speed limit, and he laughed so hard he let me off. told me to get into Wyoming quick (but not that quick) and don't come back for a while.

This is why i don't ride S bikes any more.....

:burnout

Ian

i got busted on CO 125 once, for riding 125mph. This was well north of Walden, though... almost to Wyoming.

told mr. trooper that i thought the road sign was the speed limit...

:laugh I'm sure I wouldn't be able to think that fast. Good one, Ian.

told mr. trooper that i thought the road sign was the speed limit, and he laughed so hard he let me off. told me to get into Wyoming quick (but not that quick) and don't come back for a while.

This is why i don't ride S bikes any more.....

:burnout

Ian

Ahhh, a great one Ian! Riding friends of mine were less fortunate on CO 125 when they were pulled over as a group. The county sheriff was furious and he told them exactly where the Jackson County borders were, and that he never wanted to see them again in the county.
lol.gif

i tried to have a conversation with him, but he was staying mum. anti-social, i guess.

Attachments

• rand police closeup.jpg
    rand police closeup.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 154
You know Joe, the 2009 Iron Butt Rally delivered notable points to those making it out to Rand, taking a pic of this anti-social peace officer!

I needed a Saturday Night ride, so thanks for taking us along, again, Steve.

Sound track has a heavy Satie influence, methinks.

Hey Rin, Good to hear from you. Your post sparked my brain to revisit this ride.
nod.gif
Hope you will be able to find some slopes this winter! Steve

Back