• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Dealer - Pittsburgh, PA Area

v-man

I have recently moved to the Pittsburgh area and don't know a lot about the area and I don't know any other riders ... I am looking for a GOOD BMW Shop. I was not overly impressed when I visited BMW of Pittsburgh (actually located in Wexford, PA). When I visited the shop they were not very friendly at all ... not where I want to spend my money. Maybe they were having a "bad day", maybe they were judging me by how I looked (did not ride in on BMW and I don't fit the typical stereotype image). Anybody have experience with these guys? I don't mind traveling for good service, I see there are a few dealers in OH. Help please, CT and NH just a little too far for basic "stuff"!

Welcome to Western Pa. Get the same feeling when I go in there and thought it was just me. I grew up working in my dads family business, we thought customers were important. Herd several service stories, my neighbor road home to Grove City at night with his handlebars loose. After he realized they were loose and what could have happened, he called the shop. The owner would not talk to him or return his calls. I do most of my own work, but am going to BMW of Cleveland today for a brake bleed. Let you know how it goes. They seemed very friendly and helpful on the phone.

Welcome to Western Pa. Get the same feeling when I go in there and thought it was just me. I grew up working in my dads family business, we thought customers were important. Herd several service stories, my neighbor road home to Grove City at night with his handlebars loose. After he realized they were loose and what could have happened, he called the shop. The owner would not talk to him or return his calls. I do most of my own work, but am going to BMW of Cleveland today for a brake bleed. Let you know how it goes. They seemed very friendly and helpful on the phone.

Thanks for the welcome!

I was also speaking with a dealer out that way, I have to get my service light reset and throttle bodies synched. They seemed very nice on phone and considering our choice with local dealer ...

Please let me know how your experience went. In the future I'd be happy to lend a hand, bleeding brakes is pretty straight forward and could have saved you a little seat time.

I have recently moved to the Pittsburgh area and don't know a lot about the area and I don't know any other riders ... I am looking for a GOOD BMW Shop. I was not overly impressed when I visited BMW of Pittsburgh (actually located in Wexford, PA). When I visited the shop they were not very friendly at all ... not where I want to spend my money. Maybe they were having a "bad day", maybe they were judging me by how I looked (did not ride in on BMW and I don't fit the typical stereotype image). Anybody have experience with these guys? I don't mind traveling for good service, I see there are a few dealers in OH. Help please, CT and NH just a little too far for basic "stuff"!

:wave,

I am not a big fan of the Pittsburgh dealer or the so called Cleveland Dealer that is not even located in Cleveland or even the county Cleveland is in! The two best shops for mechanical work are Sill's in Cleveland and Mathias in New Philly Area. The friendliest shop is Holt BMW down in Athens, Ohio. All three of the above dealers have been in business for a long time. Sill's is now the second oldest BMW Dealer in the Country. Sill's is a crappy old place with nothing to look at as far as gear or any extras, but if your shopping for a bike or need mechanical help that's where I would go first. Close second is Mathias, they carry a nice selection of extras to buy and a nice store. Marvin at Holt's is my favorite guy to talk to and BS with about BMW Motorcycles, they do the best paint work anywhere on the German brand.

I would also suggest joining the Four Winds BMW club or the BMW Riders Club of Cleveland all good people. Good luck.

I am not a big fan of the Pittsburgh dealer or the so called Cleveland Dealer that is not even located in Cleveland or even the county Cleveland is in! The two best shops for mechanical work are Sill's in Cleveland and Mathias in New Philly Area. The friendliest shop is Holt BMW down in Athens, Ohio. All three of the above dealers have been in business for a long time. Sill's is now the second oldest BMW Dealer in the Country. Sill's is a crappy old place with nothing to look at as far as gear or any extras, but if your shopping for a bike or need mechanical help that's where I would go first. Close second is Mathias, they carry a nice selection of extras to buy and a nice store. Marvin at Holt's is my favorite guy to talk to and BS with about BMW Motorcycles, they do the best paint work anywhere on the German brand.

I would also suggest joining the Four Winds BMW club or the BMW Riders Club of Cleveland all good people. Good luck.

Thank for dealer tips./ Cleveland was't a bad experience, but could have been better for $950 I gave them. It's sticker shock when your do your own work most of the time.

Mathias Cycle Sales, New Philadelphia, Ohio

This is my dealer, and has been since about 1992. I have never had any interest in taking my work anyplace else. A few run-ins with other dealers' service on long rides has further convinced me. Mathias is about 72 miles one way. I go there in favor of 3 closer dealers.

It appears that Pittsburgh is about 94 miles' ride from them, on some decent 2 lane roads.

Owner is Gene. Lead Tech is Jamie. Tell them I said hello.

Thanks for all the information. I ended up in New Philidelphia at Mathias BMW, everybody there was AWESOME! I spoke with Gene beforehand and also Jamie. Since the valves were to be checked I wanted the bike to be cool so I rode over the day before. I dropped the bike off, Gene gave me a loaner bike (made me love my GS even more) to use for the night and next day ... GREAT guy! When I got back the next day my bike was sitting there ready for me and I spendt at least half an hour talking with Jamie.

I like to do all my own work BUT if I get in a pinch I would not hesitate to bring my bike back to them! I really need to get a GS911 ...

I will look into the two clubs mentioned, THANKS I need to find some local people that like to ride as much as I do. Seems all I've met here like to do the bar thing ... not that I have anything against drinking but I won't mix drinking and riding.

This is my dealer, and has been since about 1992. I have never had any interest in taking my work anyplace else. A few run-ins with other dealers' service on long rides has further convinced me. Mathias is about 72 miles one way. I go there in favor of 3 closer dealers.

It appears that Pittsburgh is about 94 miles' ride from them, on some decent 2 lane roads.

Owner is Gene. Lead Tech is Jamie. Tell them I said hello.

Yes, took all back roads, I believe it was right about 100 miles each way ... nice riding aqnd it got me out. Coming home I was racing the rain and managed to stay mostly dry!

Back