• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Evacuation Day...

chacifer

Chowdah Head
In March of 1776, the American colonists were struggling in their war of independence against the British. Boston Harbor was entirely overrun by the powerful British Navy, who had ammunition enough to raze the entire city.

At the suggestion of Henry Knox, a long-time supporter of American independence and one of the early volunteers at the Battle of Bunker Hill, George Washington dispatched a small mission, led by Knox, to Fort Ticonderoga in New York State to retrieve some of the British canons won in the battle of Fort Ticonderoga in 1775. The Ticonderoga canons were then dragged by horse and oxen some 300 miles in February snow (and I imagine they were not using main roadways either) to Boston. Upon their arrival in Boston in March, 1776, the canons were perched atop Dorchester Heights late at night and aimed at the sleeping British fleet. The British Fleet were forced to evacuate Boston Harbor for good. Today, Evacuation Day is celebrated on March 17th in Boston and Cambridge.

On March 18th and 19th, I celebrated my own evacuation day and liberated my motorcycle from my basement!:

17869851-S.jpg

17869853-M.jpg

Unfortunately, I had some problems trying to navigate it out the door and into the yard:
17869856-M.jpg

17869858-M.jpg

By the time I finally got the bike picked up, it was too dark and cold to ride. I put my bike in the garage and planned on waking up early the next day.

I live on the South Shore of Massachusetts and right near the water; as I type this, I can see Boston Harbor and the Boston Skyline off to the North. Some of my favorite local roads go by lovely water views of the Harbor and Massachusetts Bay. Since I've been away for a while, I wanted to revisit these spots and smell the salt air.

First stop was in Scituate, on a small residential road that has this one view of the open water that I just die for:
17869863-M.jpg

17869866-M.jpg

17869868-M.jpg

Further south, I found a new spot that I'd never seen. This is a boat-loading ramp in Humarock, at the Yacht Club there:
17869872-M.jpg

17869874-S.jpg

I went a little further south, and then came back through Hull. I saw this dead seal on a beach:

One of my favorite local waterfront spots is on Hull Gut, across from Peddocks Island, near the mouth of Boston Harbor. I can actually see this point of land from my house across the harbor, but I like to ride out there now and again and check out the windmill:
17869880-M.jpg

and Peddocks Island:
17869885-M.jpg

The water and wind moves pretty fast through here, so I wouldn't recommend swimming, especially because it's damn cold right now:
17869894-S.jpg

However, the view to Boston is pretty swell:
17869907-M.jpg

But the view to Boston is even better a little further down the road:
17869939-M.jpg

Here's Boston Lighthouse, the last remaining manned lighthouse in the U.S. It was damaged during the war against Britain, and then rebuilt in 1783.
17869925-M.jpg

17869920-M.jpg

At this point, my fingers were starting to get cold, and a police officer kept cruising by me as I was taking pictures, so I figured it was time to head home. I made one last stop at the bottom of the hill I live on to take a shot looking back at Hull and Boston. My right mirror is pointing to Peddocks Island and you can see Boston above my windshield:
17869849-M.jpg

Yeah, I'm sad not to be in Berlin anymore, but it's not too bad coming home either.

Great post Chace! looks like you may have a bit of arthritis in that one finger.
Heated grips may help with that. :D

At this point, I'm planning on playing in some dirt in Maine that weekend. However, I will be in Ohio in July for a George Thorogood concert! ;)

it was nice to see that bike upright today!

helmet is totally as ridic in real life as it is in the photos :D

BradfordBenn said:
Welcome to riding again. Sorry to hear about the drop. No damage?

Scraped up bag-mounts and a broken turn signal (still blinks, but the plastic arm is broken; new one on the way). I got the bike out and on the street within one week of getting home! Not bad!

Great post and neat pictures. Enjoyed it all. I grew up in the area, but don't remember Evacuation Day at all! However, I do remember the re-enactment of Paul Revere's ride through Cambridge to Lexington and Concord on April 19th each year, along with the parades. Neat fun. Wonder if they still do that.

Thanks for the neat post.

Nice

Nice pics. I have a cousin who lives in Hull. She doesn't ride but I had my bike out there 2 years ago. The riding arond Hull and Nantasket was fun.

Hey chace,good on ya for riding inthe cold and posting the pictures of your land,so far away from mine.Never been to the east Coast...someday...

Why were you concerned about the police giving you the eyeball?

Visian said:
ok.... ya gotta tell us what that sign means. :D

great report.

Ian

That is no sign, sir. That is a Beirut (beer pong) table, which belongs to a friend of mine who graduated from Fairfield University (FU). It's been sitting in my backyard for well over a year. It's a little warped now.

Nice to see you on this side of the world again!

Good report and fantastic pictures.

Ian

Back