• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Kentucky to Idaho

Kentuckyblue

Bluegrass Rider
Preparing for a 2 week trip west. Destination Boise, ID. Was out west 2 years ago (only as far west as Jackson, WY. on my LT. Went across NE to WY, up to MT and SD and back. This time I'm taking the GS. I remember that the distance from KY to WY/CO was hard and not enjoyable. This time around I want the entire trip to be enjoyable, so I am looking for suggested routes from those of you who have been there, done that. Thanks much.

Ray

KY to ID

Some 20 years ago I used to drive I-70 between St. Louis and Denver at least twice a month. Some folks say that drive is boring, especially after you get west of Topeka. I always found that KS has it's own unique kind of beauty and I always enjoyed it (but winter storms could really wreak havoc on a trip across the Plains).

With that being said, and if it wouldn't take you too far out of your way, how about crossing southern Missouri? That'll take you through the Ozarks for some nice scenery and twisties. Then you could run across southern Kansas. I believe that scenery is nicer than the scenery along I-70. Kansas has 2 nationally-designated Scenic Byways, and a number of state-designated scenic byways, and almost every county has a little pioneer museum which are good for rest stops and a stretch of the legs, plus you learn a little history. Or, follow Hwy 50 across, all the way to Pueblo, CO. Stay on Hwy 50 over a little west of Pueblo and cut north and west up through the Rockies. If you really want to take that GS off-road, catch some of the TransAmerica Trail.

Of if you don't want to spend that much time, you could cut across northern Missouri, north of I-70. Take Hwy 36 across MO and KS (aka the Pony Express trail) and work your way across northern Colorado.

Just some ideas. I'm sure you've spent time studying the maps. Have fun whatever route you take and enjoy the scenery!!:clap

Back