• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Superbike School and the Hothead

R

reidguyton

One month to go before I undertake my first track experience at Keith Code's California Superbike school. I'll be at Streets of willow Springs. This will also be my first experience on a liter bike. My closest experience is my 2009 Ducati Monster696. I am told that the school is very good and introduces riders at an even pace. What I would like to know from Hotheaders out there is: How the #%& do you control this beast? Just kidding, but are there any tips on what to expect when first riding it, what the setup is like ( I am 5'9", 170 lbs, 31" inseam)? I would love to hear about any track experiences anyone has. Thanks.

My Opinion . . . .

The thought of trying to drive the S1000RR really scared me. I had heard all kinds of tales about superbikes. Hell one is even named "Brutale" I believe.
As an older rider who has driven airheads for most of my riding life, I was very worried I would not to be able to get the bike 200 miles to my home!
The riding position is so different and the bike is small. The 63 year old wrists probably would not hold up too well.
I picked it up and started off in "rain" because it is "only " 150 hp and there is more intrusion of ABS and traction control. The riding position was different but not a deterent.
I soon changed the mode to "sport" and continued on. For the last 100 miles I rode in "race".
The S1000RR is the easiest bike I have ever driven. It has so many safety features that I can look like a proficient rider. It has the best brakes, the easiest maneuvers and with the suspension softened to "2" it is a great commuter.
The school will start you out in a lower mode and eventually you'll be running in the ultimate mode "slick".
It is an amazing motorcycle and you will not believe the power and sound.
Have a good time!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

S1000RR Experience

Similar to you, I had never been on a liter-plus bike and, unlike you, I'd been away from motorcycling for 25 years. Once I decided to get back into it, I road a K1300S, an R1200GS and a GSA. I ended up deciding on the K -- which was absolutely the right bike for me.

About a week later I took the RR out and it was an absolutely unreal experience. Unlike the other bikes, you sit "on top of" the RR -- sort of like sitting on top of a rocket. It's so tiny, so light and so fast you feel like you could come off of it if you twisted the throttle too fast (and I wasn't on "race" mode).

It's good that I didn't ride that bike first because it would have been very difficult to not buy it. The K was far more practical for me -- especially since I do some long distance touring and I'm not sure the RR would have been a good setup for me (and I'm 5'9", 31" inseam and 190 lbs).

You are going to love the RR at your track session but I'd be really surprised if there's more than one or two folks that actually have the riding skills to drive that bike at ten tenths. I probably don't use half of what my K is capable of -- but maybe with some track time and class room education I'd be able to improve on that.

Have fun -- I know you will.

Kent

Best time ever!

One month to go before I undertake my first track experience at Keith Code's California Superbike school. I'll be at Streets of willow Springs. This will also be my first experience on a liter bike. My closest experience is my 2009 Ducati Monster696. I am told that the school is very good and introduces riders at an even pace. What I would like to know from Hotheaders out there is: How the #%& do you control this beast? Just kidding, but are there any tips on what to expect when first riding it, what the setup is like ( I am 5'9", 170 lbs, 31" inseam)? I would love to hear about any track experiences anyone has. Thanks.

I took the two day camp last Sept in Millville, NJ. I had the best time of my life!! i'm the same height/seam but heavier. I was very comfortable on the bike. This bike is just the easiest sport bike in world to ride. They start you off in rain mode, 4th gear (i think), no brakes around the course then they work you up to more gears, brakes, speed, and eventually into sport mode. Their instructions are methodical and scientifically proven. Eventually I was running nearly 150 mph on the front stretch of thunderbolt. It was a religious experience. Have fun and be safe.

Back