• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Traversing Iowa

tallyho

Agent Provocateur
Let's say you had a day to get from Davenport, IA to Mitchell, SD. Yes, it's a long way and I don't have time for sightseeing. I've also noticed a distinct lack of those green "scenic byway" dots on any of the alternatives. What route would you recommend taking to traverse the great state of Iowa that might be a good combination of speed, beauty, and safety?

My original plan is to take the superslab north to Waverly then head due west on Rt 3 but I'm wondering if Rt 20 or Rt 18 would be a better/faster option all things considered? Perhaps even I80 and then cut north on I29?

Any recommendations? I appreciate your local input.

Sounds like you're riding through corn to get to the Corn Palace.

I served my sentence in Iowa (lived there for 13 years) but can't recommend any good roads that I can remember.

Good luck on the ride!

We traversed Iowa a couple of years ago using the Lincoln Highway, US 30. Slow, but interesting. Took all day, all day, ALL DAY to get to Omaha. Using I-80 it takes just a few hours.

At least we did not have to deal with the slow racers between Des Moines and Davenport.

Slow racing- vehicle at 70 mph, one passing at 70.1 mph. Ugly

bob

Lane hogs are a common phenomena in Iowa. Coming from NY, it's one of the first thing I noticed. A lot of PT cops or CFs. They like to stop at yellow lights too. 20 or 30 will take longer. 80-29 would be faster.

One bit of relief to consider is going up 61 to Maquoketa, then west on 64 to Anamosa. (Home of the National Motorcycle Museum).

From there use county road E34 to get to I-380. That gets you around the madness between D'port and Cedar Rapids.

20 would probably be slightly faster than 18. A little more 4 lane IIRC, and lightly traveled. 3 is the slowest. 18 is generally windier if that makes a difference.

Of course 27 (Avenue of the Saints) to 35 to 90 would be the fastest.

I live near where 27 goes north from 20.

HTH.

Dave

Thanks for the replies and good information. It "sounds" like we might just want to stay on the superslab as much as possible. How would you characterize the weather during the last week of September?

How would you characterize the weather during the last week of September?

Should be one of the better times to pass through Iowa as it shouldn't be so hot.
I say "shouldn't" as it can be pretty hot even in late September, but averages are on your side.

Ya might wanna cruise through towns of Amana and Pella - both are kinda touristy, but worth a drive to take a break there and check them out.... if they are on your way.

Back