• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help - On Road - Need Wheel

pglaves

Folks,

Voni and I are on the road, in Montana, and I put a huge bend in my front wheel. Didn't lose air and didn't go down but the wheel looks to be beyond banging on. We are holed up in a motel at Marion, MT just west of Kalispell. I don't think the bike is safe to ride unless the wheel can be straightened up some at least.

Bike: 2001 F650 Dakar - 21" front wheel

So I want to buy a wheel if anybody has one for sale, or if anybody can provide any help in finding one.

I have checked the F650 ads, IBMWR ads, and MOA ads.
I have also checked on-line at Beemer Boneyard, Repsychle, and Engeland Moto - no luck.

I did find a maybe on a 19" GS wheel - does anybody know if that will bolt on without serious modifications needed.

If anybody has a Dakar laid up and can lend/rent me a wheel for a while - that too??

If anybody has ideas, or can call a dealer to see if they have a wheel I would appreciate it. I need all the help I can get.

If anybody gets a line on a wheel or can otherwise help the best contact is to email me at:

glaves@bigbend.net

Cell phone (515) 423-7283 works but not too well maybe.

Thanks for any help and thanks for listening.

Paul Glaves

At least your OK Paul. If I was jammed up for a wheel and I was in that area I'd check with Woody's Wheel Works No personal experience but I've read about his work and all indications are :thumb Gary

Paul,

Although we are not in Montana yet I do have some contacts in the BMW community you can try. John Werre (kokoprod@cyberport.net) is the Montana Airmarshal. Michael McInerney (mtnarider@hotmail.com) sends out the newsletter for the MT Riders BMW club.

Unless you object I'll send your message out to the email list that both organizations use. It should reach close to 100 MT riders.

Paul has a wheel located in Sand Point, ID which we can borrow.

Wow! The internet is amazing! :heart

Thanks, everybody!

Voni
sMiling

Jim Eng at Nick's BMW (DePere, WI) restores Beemers as part of his dealership, and often can get unusual or little-in-demand parts.

He's at 1-920-347-9144.

I have forwarded you predicament to him, in hopes he may be able to assist. :thumb

Pronlem Solved

Yesterday I posted about trashing and needing a wheel on the road here in Montana. Within an hour I received a call from Steve Sanchez who had located a wheel I could borrow from Dennis Luce, both in Sandpoint, Idaho - a mere 150 or so miles away.

This morning Voni rode off on her F800S for the grueling ride on US2, and MT56, and MT200 through the woods, and has just returned with the loaner wheel. It is bolted on. Less than 24 hours from my SOS. My bent wheel is being shipped to Woody's Wheel Works from Kalispell in the morning.

We received 5 offers of loaner wheels: this one was the closest and didn't need to be shipped here. Between phone calls and emails we have lost count of the number of other offers to help: lodging, work space, trucks, trailers, etc.

Thanks to everybody!

I've only one thing to say; you don't do anything half-a**ed!

Tom

Okay, now for the story

I'm sure there's an interesting story behind this - maybe some deep canyon jumping?

Love to hear it...

Probably just a loose spoke or two...might want to true that up a bit.

Pshaw ... just run it... it's only on that one side.
icon_wink.gif

Back