• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Raingear

L

longridgebuilder

Any one have experience with BMW Rainlock or Prorain wet weather gear ? I'm looking for wet weather gear I can pack .

I got Frogg Toggs, I ride an RT so I'm fairly well protected by the fairing. The Frogg Toggs were 69.00 for a 2 piece suit, For the money I think it's a good deal.

On the way

Just ordered a Frogg Toggs suit ! $ 59.00 plus a 15 percent discount. Thanks to all for your recommendation.

I have same question about BMW rain gear (not Frogg Toggs). I commute every day on motorcycle, 12 months a year, 57 miles each way. For 22 years. I have tried a LOT (15+) of rainsuits and they all leak after 1 hour of heavy rain. I'm not sure, but I think it's because I ride in heavy northern California freeway traffic all winter. Lots of rain, 10 lanes of cars, wind & rain, traffic blowing the water up-down-sideways-backwards. Huge puddles of water on the road with cars and trucks splashing through them making tidal wave water splashes. Most rainy days in Dec/Jan/Feb I never see another cycle. I've tried 1-pc and 2-pc with better results from 2-pc. The only one that didn't leak was a smock-type pullover that had no front zipper, but that's a pain to put on and off. Seems that the water always leaks in the crotch first. Eventually they leak at front collar, wrists, and ankles, too.

Also, does anyone make a helmet with no vents? Those vents all leak after awhile, too. Starts with a small wet sensation at the top of my head or brow where the vents are. I've never had a problem with fogging, just a wet head. I tape the vents closed, but would prefer better rain helmet.

So any experiences with Rainlock? [Not Frogg Toggs, didn't work for me and did not hold up to repeated daily use for one winter much less two. Sorry :) ]

Serious 12-month long distance daily commuter wants to know!

I'm 6' 1" & 210 lbs and have the ProRain Suit 3. I have only used it a couple of times, both in cold heavy rain. With a pair of Aerostich boot rain covers, it has worked great for me, easy to get on/off and kept me dry. Packs small enough to fit in the lower compartment of my tank bag.

raingear

I have the BMW one piece, bought off of Fleabay in 2007, used a few times and I love it. Worked very well, a little dribble down the collar, the only down side was once the sun came back out, and the humidity went up, it got sweaty in a hurry.

So any experiences with Rainlock? [Not Frogg Toggs, didn't work for me and did not hold up to repeated daily use for one winter much less two. Sorry :) ]

Serious 12-month long distance daily commuter wants to know!

For me Frogg Toggs were the best bang for the buck, I ride an RT so I am fairly well protected anyway, It sounds like we should be asking YOU with all the miles of research you've done. This is going to sound like a smart assed answer but have you though about double bagging? I wonder how 2 rainsuits would work for you, say a cheap set of Frogg Toggs over a one piece. If you have tried EVERYTHING else, what do you have to lose?

FTs are too bulky as well as not durable. Best suited to those who only rarely ride in the wet and don't plan to use their bike as everyday wheels.

My choice has always been 2 piece GoreTex. Cabelas is a good source because they have pants in lengths that will allow for being seated while riding. For me they work fine and my current GoreTex jacket though its membrane is beginning to wear out in some spots is 20 yrs old and has been washed many times.

However, I don't do much riding in freeway wet stuff where everything is swirling every which way and do understand the unique problem. Not sure there are many magic answers though the inherent protection of my RT so far has kept me out of leaks getting in at various entries except for negligible amounts. A less protective bike will create much more of a problem. The RT has especially good lower protection. In really heavy rains I periodically use the height adjustment of the electric screen to create a blast to blow my helmet clear, then pop it up again to get back in a pocket. (Have switched to the Z Technic screen)

I have a box of 40gal plastic trash bags and I sometimes use one under my rain gear. Cut holes for arms and head. That works, but I can't believe that is really the ultimate solution. I don't want to feel like bagged trash!

I was just wondering if the pricey BMW rain gear actually performed better than the other gear. I may try the 2 piece Rainlock suit since I've had better luck with 2-pc: the new Red & Gray set. Any comments on that one?

Thanks for all your comments, I enjoy reading and benefitting from the experiences of others.

Gortex...gortex...gortex. That's about all I have to say. I bought the Klima Komfort 2 pc suit here on the flea market. Best suit I ever had, no leaks and no non-sense suit. Wore it in a huge rainstorm in NC that stopped traffic, not a drop got in. It is a discontinued BMW product but I would bet the replacement is as good and pricey. I also spray it down with Camp Dry which also adds more silicon to the outer layer of the suit.

I am also looking for a relatively cheaper suit for my junker machine since I don't want to mess this KC suit up, use it for my RT. Do Froggtogs pack small?

I have a Hein Gericke one piece that I bought in Cologne, Germany back in 86. I do wear my FT's for my daily riders if the rain is spotty. I have ridden with a friend that wore his FT's in rain that would have drowned a frog (all day) and they were fine. With that being said, the HG one piece has been with me since 86 and I would never take a trip without it. It's a little bit of a pain to put on and take off, but in 25 years has never leaked a drop. And it is quick donning. Velcro and zippers on the legs to put it on with your boots on, and a double fell front zipper with foldover flap and built in bib. It even has a map pocket on the thigh. I love it and hope it lasts another 25 years. But with Goretex and all the other options available, you should be able to find something to suit YOU. That's pretty much how it is. My one piece has served me well. Oh yeah, even back then, Dayglo orange upper part, reflective tape, etc, etc. Check out this link. Looks like the have followed the same concept,
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/cloth...ition-regeneinteiler-schwarz-gelb-silber.html
I know it's U.K. but the price? 51#. They do have a U.S. component I believe.

Last edited:
Pro Rain 3

I have the BMW Pro Rain 3, and don't regret it at all!!! The one piece proved itself over and over in the worst conditions! It almost makes riding in the rain a blast! Well made! The suit don't creep up, and there's plenty of room for comfort!The bright yellow is very visible, and looks sharp!!

i have a Triumph (as in Triumph motorcycles) one piece rain suit. if you take proper care to connect all the velcro in order it is just about bullet proof. i've used it in extreme downpours on all day rides with really great results, even on the Isle of Man and in England. i will admit that if you forget something like your keys in a pants pocket, you have to practically come all the way out of the suit to get to your pocket, however.

i bought mine in 2008 and at the time it was around 100.00 (USD). one other word- they run large. i am normally a medium sized guy and i have a small suit. and it is borderline huge on me. i read a lot of reviews before going this route.

I have same question about BMW rain gear (not Frogg Toggs). I commute every day on motorcycle, 12 months a year, 57 miles each way. For 22 years. I have tried a LOT (15+) of rainsuits and they all leak after 1 hour of heavy rain. I'm not sure, but I think it's because I ride in heavy northern California freeway traffic all winter. Lots of rain, 10 lanes of cars, wind & rain, traffic blowing the water up-down-sideways-backwards. Huge puddles of water on the road with cars and trucks splashing through them making tidal wave water splashes. Most rainy days in Dec/Jan/Feb I never see another cycle. I've tried 1-pc and 2-pc with better results from 2-pc. The only one that didn't leak was a smock-type pullover that had no front zipper, but that's a pain to put on and off. Seems that the water always leaks in the crotch first. Eventually they leak at front collar, wrists, and ankles, too.

Completely agree with you. Rain suits always leak in the jacket zipper, by the neck, or the crotch. 2-pcs suits are better then 1-pcs.

I once had a serious conversation with one mfg, but they believed that they knew more about rain suits then I did. Ironically, they didn't even ride bikes.

frogg toggs

Several of us have used Frogg toggs for the past 2 seasons--in a lot of rain!

The Horny Toads model has proved to be what works best for us. They really are an amazing level of quality , details, and price. WAY different than Frogg Toggs of even a few years ago.

You can check them out here:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/11369/FroggToggRainSuits3

Tom Volk

full disclosure:
I own RPW Motorcycle Accessories
Home of Marsee Products and Helen Twowheels Products

FYI--We have sold hundreds of these rain suits--they really are excellent.

Back