• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

zumo 550 paperweight

can't you also stream Sirius/XM with an app from your iPhone as well... ?

i have yet to be able to justify shelling out major dosh for a GPS. never used my iPhone on my bike but there may come a time... i use it in the car often, but only the *GPS* that comes with the phone. 50.00 for a real GPS app seems FAR better than 250.00- 900.00 for a GPS that will eventually crap out on you.

You think the iphone won't crap out ?

Wouldn't ya just know it!

All this talk about the Zumo and here I am, planning a weekend trip and my 5 mo 660 starts to act up. It does random shutdowns as I try to delete routes. HMMM Talked to a good guy at Garmin and will send it back on Monday. Glad I have my 765T and my iPhone as as backups. OBTW, when getting the latest updated maps, Garmin will try to get you to use the "Garmin Lifetime Updater" software: Option 1 (Recommended) on the My Maps page after selecting 'Download' under your device(s). While it will update your GPS unit, this will not put the latest map into BaseCamp on a Mac. Use the old 'Garmin Map Update application' and click on Advance, as before.

A Nuvi 550 is waterproof, battery operated if you wish to unplug and comes loaded with the North America map. It does not play music or Bluetooth to the helmet. I have never had the directions pumped into my helmet but then again was using GPS before I had Bluetooth. I have never wished I could hear it because I can see it. The only reason I bought the 550 is for the waterproofing. I was tired of putting a ziplock around my regular Nuvi. At $249 it is not exactly cheap but it ain't $699. I can't imagine riding without GPS but I can imagine it without sound. Actually I ignore the exact directions half the time and take alternate side trips and don't want to hear two women squawking in my ear.

I thought I had a paperweight, turned out to be my wiring, all's good now.
I cut my wiring to run my 550 off the accessory pigtail at the neck - turned out to be the + & - were to closes in the heat wrap casing. I thought my kid got to it - my home was the North Pole, all the colors in the rainbow,#'s & multi screens.

but there is an app that allows internet streaming of XM. I read the reviews and it does not look all that good. Plus it uses up bandwidth.

Android

Android phones come complete with a Google Maps app which seems highly regarded. It is a free utility, unlike the iPhone [a.k.a. "iPay].

I don't use a smartphone (yet) so have no opinion of it. Android phones with enough memory MAY be able to function as navigators without a tower connection, but I need verification of that. It would be a bummer to lose nav on half the two lane and gravel roads in the USA. :brow

Also, Androids and other smartphones can use Trapster [look it up] to likely warn of upcoming speed traps. A BMW M-car owner-friend makes much use of that with apparent success.

No known Garmin can do that.

BTW: I just got a strange email from Garmin, teasing me about some "everything will change on August 24" upcoming release. Meanwhile, I don't think I'll update the maps on my Zumo 550 (my $150 replacement from last spring).

but there is an app that allows internet streaming of XM. I read the reviews and it does not look all that good. Plus it uses up bandwidth.

there are applications arising using a satellite distribution model, hopping onto cellular and then streaming to your phone. the phone itself is not receiving a signal from the satellite.

according to its proponents DVB-SH is going to be big for mobile broadcasting.

there are efforts underway for mobility devices to receive streaming broadband content directly from satellites, too.

can't you also stream Sirius/XM with an app from your iPhone as well... ?

i have yet to be able to justify shelling out major dosh for a GPS. never used my iPhone on my bike but there may come a time... i use it in the car often, but only the *GPS* that comes with the phone. 50.00 for a real GPS app seems FAR better than 250.00- 900.00 for a GPS that will eventually crap out on you.

I stream XM/Sirius on my Iphone 4 but you must be in range of a cell tower. Iphones are not satelite activated nor do they work off of satilites.

Back