• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1999-2000 R1100S Known Issues? Newbie...

karlsbox

Hello Folks:
My first post ever to a forum...
Looking to purchase an R1100S and trying to learn if there are known issues or things I should look out for when inspecting a bike pre-purchase.
There are two for sale locally.

Bike 1: 1999 42K miles - private seller, maintained at the local BMW Dealer. Seller is turning over this bike to purchase one of the new 1600 sixes. Third owner. Seems like a trustworthy guy. Has stated that he's done all the scheduled maintenance since he's owned it. Has some extra goodies - cases; bike appears to be in very good condition.

Bike 2: 2000 24K miles - Dealer (but not BMW who seems to be reputable; no known issues there). The bike has been down-Cylinder head is abraded on one side but nothing that appears to be significant. Body work is in good condition. Looks like the bike was last titled in CA (a long way from Milwaukee....). Service history is unknown.

I haven't riden in about three years. Had a Thumper - a 1997 F650ST that I used for fair weather commuting. Sold it due to financial constraints and have regretted it ever since. Got the BMW bug and don't want to look at anything else - and I promised myself that this was the summer to get a bike again.

So - what do I need to watch out for???

Thanks for any replies!!!
Karl

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Couldn't figure out how to move the post to another forum or just delete it...

Last edited:
given similar pricing, i'd lean towrds the '99 with the known service history. if it shows that a clutch was replaced, see if that job also included a trans housing realignment. other than that potential issue (unlikely, but it is a possibility), these bikes are pretty solid. things go wrong, but nothing in particular.
paralever (aka: pivot bearings) tend to go bad every 20-35K (and repeat) forever, see when last done. stock shocks, if that's what either are runing, are definitely shot on the '99, and soon to be played out on the 2000.
look at the sub-frame/trans mounting tab (directly above front foot pegs)- these are known to break/crack in a tip-over. again, not common, but it does happen.

that's about it, other than routine maintenance issues (brake flushes, oil changes, etc.)

+1 to Bikerfish's comments...these are pretty solid bikes, but with a few isolated issues. I'd definitely go with the '99 bike and it's somewhat better service history. And a bike in Wisconsin last titled in CA with no service documents...? Sounds problematical to me...

FYI, you might want to check out the Pelican Parts R1100S/R1200S forum, model specific to your interests. If you get an S bike that forum is highly recommended, a wealth of info through the search function...

Cheers! :dance

If you have the VIN number I'm pretty sure any BMW dealer can pull up the service info for you. If you plan to deal locally ask the dealer near you if they can help with the history search. All dealer service is logged using the VIN number and I believe the info is available all over the US. Assuming of course the dealer is willing to share that info with you!

Welcome on board.

I got my 99 R1100S less than a month ago. But have been in BMW for quite a while.

I had all the same questions you have posted and more too.

I think the bike-model is solid and fun to work on. I do not know of any inherent weaknesses here, except as it relates to all oil-head models. Do a Google search and locate the "factory" maintenance PDF and download it. You will find it helpful- as well as frustrating.

the Pelican parts forum is moderately helpful but I personally think this forum has better technical and responsible guidance. That forum has a certain "feel" to it that is a little "odd". A lot of old-timers who think they have answered all the questions already and are a little funny about it, and I don't mean that in a humorous way.

I think any of the two bikes you found might be good candidates. You are going to want to do a complete service on either of them... to get the bike in condition and to familiarize yourself with it. All you really have to do is try to detect any serious things like final drive/clutch/general damage issues in either candidate. My vote is to look for worn-out things, general looseness and damage. Regarding the head scrapes... most bikes of this vintage will have been dropped some. Just try to avoid one with serious looking problems or amateur cover-ups.

My choice on my "S" purchase was driven by the accessory equipment list the bike had, as well as conversation with the previous owner.

You may be able to find numerous R11S bikes if you use the "search all of craigslist" search feature- again use google to find that.

Lastly- I urge you think about why you want in this model bike. I have my RT for serious riding and enjoy having the S bike for a sport and fun. I think they are beautiful and one of the classic BMW models. If you want serious performance there are numerous other bikes of the same vintage, in the same price range that will serve you well. (Triumph Sprints, Ducatis if you are really sporty, numerous "sport" bikes of the Japanese variety, etc) If you want a BMW because of its "personality" you might really like the S. It is not a serious contender in the "I really want to go fast" category.

If you want a great BMW this may be the bike model for you.

feel free to contact me if you think I might be able to help in any way. Look for my board name... which is hopz... on pelicanparts for PM ... don't know if this forum does PM's...

Good luck and keep us posted on your process and progress.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the replies!!! And any more that come in....

VERY helpful... And I will check out the Pelican Forum.

My gut is telling me also to go with the '99 due to the known service history. Now I have more and better questions to ask of the seller, so thank you all again.

In response to roberts735 probe - I've thought about this long and hard. For a long time I thought I wanted an R1200C. Decided that a cruiser just wasn't me and something sportier was. Also really love look of the K1200S but decided that that was just too much bike. So an R1100S, R1100R (non Rockster) or R1100RS would be a good choice.

the only big negative on the R11S as a model is that it is not a great 2-up choice, and its a bit heavy for tight tight roads (Mulholland Drive?). Other than that- it can run with any sportbike in the mountains/canyons (and emabarrass the hell out of most of them in the hands of a rider that is familiar with his/her mount), and can do 1K mile days without real difficulty (the stock seat is not an option for me-Rick mayer fixed that problem). It remains a fabulous do-it-all machine.
As for Pelican and the "feel" there- there is a much greater expectation that you will spend time and DIY your questions (use the search function) before asking outloud. That forum has been active for over 10 years, and as such has a much greater wealth of model specific information on it than this site does (and most everyone who will answer a R11S question here, is also active there). "Personalities" are less toned down (polite?) and cautious there; a bit more like advrider than this forum as far as general decorum.

VERY helpful... And I will check out the Pelican Forum.
My gut is telling me also to go with the '99 due to the known service history....

Also check out Boxertrix R1100S site http://www.boxertrix.com/

Had my '99S for 7 years and 60,00km. Only failure was the cat. Installed a Z-Technik titanium exhaust that improved both performance & sound. Best handling bike I've owned in 41 yrs of riding. It will top out at a bit over 220kmh. michelin pilot roads were great. Never did replace the stock shock. I replaced the stock horn with a pair of Fiam's.
go for the '99.

Thanks again for all of your replies...
The FSBO bike sold before the auction ended. And I was ready to make an offer...
Now just looking at the dealer bike.

black99s - thanks for the tip about the boxertrix website.

bikerfish1100 - you had replied to a post several years back - regarding bar risers and barbacks - about mounting the handlebars above the t-tree. FSBO bike was set up this way. Dealer bike isn't. How easy is it to move the bars into the high position?

You might want to consider this one . . .

http://bentonvillebmw.com/inventory.htm

2000 R1100S

$4,750.00

ABS Brakes, Heated Grips, Center Stand,

Wrist Rest Throttle Lock, BMW Bags, Valve Cover Guards,

Wunderlich Adjustable Shield, Bill Mayer Seat, BMW Tank Bag,

Aeroflow Hdlt Cover, New Tires, Fresh Service, 75000 miles,

I only traded it in because i wanted a bike with better gas mileage.

Voni
sMiling

Attachments

• R11S.JPG
    R11S.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 243
Moving "clip ons" from below the top triple tree, is easy and very often done. Try the search function. Some very recent posts on the same subject.

When, and if, you buy one of these bikes, don't forget to post a picture...

attachment.php

Cheers!

Back on an Oilhead

Found it on local Craigslist few weeks ago, went out to take a look at it, within 6 hours of it being posted on Craigslist, I put a deposit on it for the purchase, it was simply too good of a deal to pass. Finally got it home tonight.

IMG_5063.jpg

$3750, only 72xx mi. on her, completely stock (unmolested) with heated grips and ABS.

IMG_5060.jpg

I see Ohlins and BlackHole exhaust in the near future.

IMG_5057.jpg

You got the best color, great bike, had one for 3 years and 50,000+ miles

Rear main seal was the big repair for me, also had a weird final drive failure, at which time I put in the bronze bushings on the paralever, which is a must do if you plan on keeping the bike for many miles.

2 IBA rallies, commuting in Massachusetts year round 400 miles a week, rallies, camping, off road, the bike did pretty great all around...................I miss it from time to time.

193138535_3fDp5-M.jpg

..........just remove your disc lock before rolling the bike backwards out of the garage.:banghead

BZ, that is one heck of an antenna you have on your tail section, you trying to talk to someone on Mars?

If you have the VIN number I'm pretty sure any BMW dealer can pull up the service info for you...

That's a persistent myth, at least in the US. Only specific items, like initial service, recall and warranty work, are recorded. Could be exceptions, but I've never seen them.

I started a model year history page some time ago and have only gotten into the R11S so far. There are some improvements that might help with a decision:

http://www.largiader.com/articles/mychanges/

BTW Theo, good to hear from you again! I have the same bike!

Congrats on "biting the bullet", looks like a VERY nice machine. I predict you're going to have a lot of fun miles on that bike...

Cheers! :D

Back