• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping on Mi. west shore and across the Big Bridge

A

AzGnome

Rode up from Arizona to visit Sister and family and want to see more of the state. Plan on running up to just across the Bridge and then back down Michigan's west shore line any suggestions on Camping sites friendly to Motorcycles or local favorite spots with a view? Thank You for your time and Info.

Several "bike friendly" camp grounds on the western side of the state; Cyclemore on US 31 south of Traverse city, and Hog Heaven on M37 north of Baldwin. Most campgrounds around here are usable by cycles, just a few that are RV only. We were in the U.P. last week, we Picked up C (county) 81 out of Mackinaw City, and then Lakeshore drive to Cross City. From there, we took M119 into Petosky. Wonderful roads, but bumpy and VERY busy this time of year. I'd pick up M22 out of Traverse City, Take it north to the tip of the Leelenau peninsula and then back down the Lake Michigan shoreline. Lots of State Forest campgrounds along the way, as well. If you get down to my neck of the woods, look me up and we'll have a cold beverage. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Thanks Bunkyone. Plan on a night north of the bridge so I can get some pic's of the Bridge at night,probably a state park. Then find the 119 to 22 and back on down sight seeing all the way.

Java Joes in St. Ignace for breakfast. It does not look like much from the outside but enter and you will feel right at home. Coconut Pancakes, Nutella Crepes, Lobster Omlettes plus much more and awesome coffee. While in the UP you can go up to Whitefish Point and visit the lighthouse and shipwreck museum. The museum is home to the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald. Whatever the weather lower by 10 degrees for that ride along Superior. That alone makes it worth the ride on a hot day. When you cross the bridge heading south take 119 from Mackinaw City to 31 in Petoskey. 119 is the "Tunnel of Trees", you will understand after you ride it plus you get some great views of lake Michigan and go through scenic towns like Harbor Springs. From Petoskey 31 takes you on a scenic route to Traverse City. M22 from Traverse City takes you north on a wonderful ride with plenty to see and great little towns to stop in and eat or take photo ops. M22 follows the lake all the way south to pick up 31 again. Along M22 you have Sleeping Bear Dunes State Park plus other areas to camp. The park system in the UP and northern Michigan is vast. Enjoy your trip, that is beautiful country up there and I feel blessed it is only a days ride away for me to enjoy.

If you make it down south of Sleeping Bear Dunes look for PJ Hoffmaster State Park. It's located just north of Grand Haven, between Grand Haven and Muskegon. It's a wonderful park with great camping amenities and a secluded beach.

Enjoy!

Java Joe's is cool!! We had breakfast there last Monday. There is a very nice state park right along side if the straights in St. Ignace. It has a handful of lake side sites with a great view of the bridge. Take the first St. Ignace exits, east, and follow the signs. Kevin; This wonderland is only about 4 hours from my humble abode. We don't get up there nearly as often as we should. Plan to remedy that this fall... Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Thanks all. Grand Rapid BMW gave me a deal on a tire, so I'll get up there tomorrow to get it on. (Great Bunch there, went out of there way with Advice Scheduling and service to help a Rider on the Road.) Wednesday and Thursday look real good for touring. Will check out Java's and the State Park, then head up to WhiteFish to pay respects. I was living here when the Edmund went down. Then I'll check out the 119 to 20 route, take it as it goes.

They had the pavement lanes closed last week-end for shoulder maintenance. I think they were painting the guard rails. The steel deck can be intimidating to ride on, that's for sure!! Great view down to the lake though!! (If you can take your eyes off the road ahead to look!!) BMWGR are a great bunch of folks to deal with. I've had a bunch of work done (or corrected !!) by them over the years, and they have always treated me fair. Have a safe ride, and the offer still stands. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

I was in that area two weeks ago , we camped at TeePee campground on south side of bridge. Very motorcycle friendly, great views of bridge, our site was 100 ft from the water quiet loved it and the ride through Mi. :)

Well Checking in, Thanks to All with advice on Places to see and Routes. Camped at the north end of The Bridge State Campground right on the shore (Spot 85A recommended). Had Breakfast at Java Joe's, Joe is a great guy takes time out to visit with all the customers, A+. Went on up to Whitefish Point, toured the Museum and light House, Walked the Beach,great ride. Joe also recommended away to 119 and a couple stops. Tunnel of Trees is right , opens in spots to Vista's of Lake Michigan. Put this one with the top rides. M-22 was nice really like the harbor towns, will look for more of the loops and side roads next time. Really liked the Coast, due to weather moveing in did not have the Time to Explore as I would have liked. All in all had a great Tour of this part of Michigan, Thanks again for all the input, helps make a Great Ride.

Glad you had a good (and safe) time. It's sometimes hard for folks not familiar with this part of the state to realize that Michigan isn't all factories and freeways. While my time on the "left coast is but a dim memory,I'd rate our Northern Michigan scenery with anything the California coast has to offer!! Via con Dios, Dutch

Heading back to Northern Michigan and the UP over Labor Day. Cannot wait for more coconut pancakes. The wife was not along last time to see the UP but we will do 119 again and the museum. I have heard about a Ghost Town in the UP I am going to check out. Perhaps we will ride along Huron a bit towards Rogers City. Does not matter because we will be on the bike which is the most important thing. Glad you were able to share one of our favorite places to ride.

Kevin; I think you are referring to Fayette state park, on the garden peninsula. It's an old iron smelting village that the state has been restoring for years now. Very cool place, and a neat ride. It's on M.183, @ten miles south of U.S.2. Enjoy the ride. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Thanks MiAirhead. I had not mentioned that I am an All Grain Brewer and love to Sample/support the Local Contributions. Nice Map,I can see Day Rides are in my Future, Limited to 1/Stop with Lunch.:beer

Back