• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Shenandoah NP

HFD190

Looking for ideas regarding which campground to plan to stay at while visiting Shenandoah NP. I will be there mid-week in September and plan to ride Skyline Dr. and camp for the night, maybe a short hike... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Big Meadow, about the midpoint of the Skyline Drive is a good choice. There are gas, food, shower facilities, a camp store and a lot of shaded sites available. If you are over 62 get the Golden Age Passport. Last time I camped there it was about $8.00 per night.

Matthews Arm is also a pretty site, but has minimal facilities. Sites are shaded and have nice tent pads. I like this stop on my way North.

Big Meadow is great, just make sure to get one of the outer sites overlooking the valley as the view at night is awesome. A big plus is that there is a convenience store right there. I've stayed at all of them and my personal favorite is Loft Mountain - lots and lots of outer spots with great views and a bit less trafficked than the others.

Make sure to reserve in advance or get there early, the good spots go fast starting at about 3pm.

Thanks for the info. Loft Mt sound more my pace. I will be going North to South so I will probably check things out at Big Meadows and then plan to head to Loft. I appreciate the input!

Just checked out the maps - the last time at Big Meadow I had spot E178E (Ranger said it was one of the best in the place and I agree), the nearby ones on that side of the road were overlooking the valley, nice and not surrounded by other spots. At Loft Mountain I try to get one of A019, 21, 23, 25 to A027 - the ones on the western edge are nice too.

Back