• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Embarrassed to be a Member

Kmeister

I wasn't gonna say anything but I cant resist: I am embarrassed to be a member of this club. :dunno

I knew that the MOA was an "Old Mans Club" when I joined but I never imagined that I would be reading this much bitching and complaining after a national motorcycle event. :violin

Maybe the next rally should be at some kind of Health Clinic or Hospital where we can all have our own air conditioned rooms with a host of nurses ready to attend to our every discomfort.

Sure it was hot, but as a "biker" you should expect that from time to time .... along with the possibility of cold, rain, wind .... and some other stuff Nature has to offer.

I feel SO badly for anyone that put effort into the rally - and there was alot of effort. I personally didn't lift a fingar but I think those who did did a great job and put on a good rally. Thank you.

With that said, its time for me to get out and ride (after I check the thermostat) :wave

I knew that the MOA was an "Old Mans Club" when I joined but I never imagined that I would be reading this much bitching and complaining after a national motorcycle event. :violin

may I quote you in my letter to the editor I am writing?

With that said, its time for me to get out and ride (after I check the thermostat) :wave

wuss....

Well said Kmeister...When I went to my first BMW National Rallly (York 1989) I was totally impressed with the hard riding, devoted people who were the MOA..I rode a Harley then and the people were very inclusive of other riders and it made me want to buy a BMW, which I did the following spring and have 2 now and enjoy going to the rallys. However it seems lately that all they want to do is whine about the weather. This is not the people who I have got to know and it is not the people who still go to the rallys..If the MOA starts to cater to this crowd the MOA is dead...Who would want to join a bunch of whining couch potatos? Certanly not the next generation, who is the future of this organization...We have been meeting in July for almost forty years and now it is too hot? Maybe you need to quit whining and if you can't take the heat, Get out of the kitchen...

The "old men" I was with weren't the cry babies that the younger set was. The guys in their mid 70s accepted the situation but the guys in their 50s whined about the heat.

but the guys in their 50s whined about the heat. Thank You Osbornk....For making me feel young again!...:brad

Rally

I don't think some of you fully comprehend the danger that was present at the Rally. I didn't bitch and complain. I did leave Sat morning. I went to town each day about 3 and returned about 8. No complaints about the Rally but in the future if we are going to continue to have July dates we need more A/C buildings. I am 63 and in good health, I still had swelling of my hands and feet. Some are not in as good as health and we are lucky no one died form heat stroke. I was looking for relief from the heat in the buildings and found the A/C could not keep up and no seating.
I think each person is responsible for there own well being and I took care of myself that week but I can tell you I am not bitching. It was not a safe place to be for any one with any health problems. Call it an old mans club if you want. :)

Ken Denton

Rude behavior unacceptable

Agree with original post. The rude behavior during the awards was shameful. In the section i was in the loudest complainers were all very large people and understandably uncomfortable in the heat as we all were. But if you choose to make 3 trips to the all you can eat buffet you shouldn't complain that the chairs aren't big enough. I thought the staff and volunteers did an excellent job, bringing water and attempting to rush through the closing celebration. I sat there and sweated like everyone else but people need to look at their own choices that led to their discomfort, not complain about not getting to the drawing fast enough.

I don't think some of you fully comprehend the danger that was present at the Rally. I didn't bitch and complain. I did leave Sat morning. I went to town each day about 3 and returned about 8. No complaints about the Rally but in the future if we are going to continue to have July dates we need more A/C buildings. I am 63 and in good health, I still had swelling of my hands and feet. Some are not in as good as health and we are lucky no one died form heat stroke. I was looking for relief from the heat in the buildings and found the A/C could not keep up and no seating.
I think each person is responsible for there own well being and I took care of myself that week but I can tell you I am not bitching. It was not a safe place to be for any one with any health problems. Call it an old mans club if you want. :)

Ken Denton

You make some good points, Ken. Enjoyed your comments.

Attending a national club rally should not be some sort of 'manhood test of endurance,' with only the hardy left to survive the elements or do battle with Nature. We all contribute either our money, talents, time, energy or ideas to the MOA, and in return, volunteers host one heck of a national rally - for all of us.

Conditions at Bloomsburg were not foreseen to be as brutal as it turned out, and no one should be in the crosshairs for that. But there are lessons to be learned.

Better preparations (like the portable misting fans that were everywhere at the Cheyenne Mtn Zoo last week when I was in Colorado Springs {and HOT!}), including more AC facilities for seminars and vendors need to be on the checklist of future gatherings of such magnitude. That's just good planning - not buckling to Bitching, Moaning and Whinning.

Under good conditions, attending a rally is all about anticipation, enjoyment and entertainment. Bloomsburg's oppressive heat turned it into an exercise of survival. How Ken handled his heat tolerance was commendable. Others split far sooner, while a few seemed unaffected - good for them.

But attending our club party is not about 'survival of the fittest.' It's about offering something of value to a loyal club member who may have traveled far and invested much to be there. :thumb

Sorry to be a cry baby but the heat is why my wife and I choose not to attend the rally. A long hot ride in triple digit heat to a hot tent followed by a long ride home in triple digit heat does not make a great vacation (especially for a couple in their mid 50's). Guess we really are getting old :violin. We opted to Drive to the Beach instead and I must say we had a great time. I did read the ON from cover to cover tho :)

IMG_0172.jpg

Flame proof underwear on :)

Sorry to be a cry baby but the heat is why my wife and I choose not to attend the rally. A long hot ride in triple digit heat to a hot tent followed by a long ride home in triple digit heat does not make a great vacation (especially for a couple in their mid 50's). Guess we really are getting old :violin.

i think you made the right decision.... i think the heat is why our numbers were down.

oh well, at least it wasn't a hurricane..... :bolt

66 and cool

I am 66. I had a great time at the rally. My only complaint was not the heat; it was July so I expected hot weather. My complaint was when the MC ignored the crowd when they made it VERY clear that they did NOT want any more flame cars. What did we get? MORE FLAME CARS.

That one incident pitted some of the audience against the stage.

I was elated at the cheerful coping attitude of almost everyone I met at the rally. We were there to have fun and have a great time at our annual family reunion and we did!

But, as stated above, we owe the people who travel near and far better accommodations, especially for seminars. There are always such a wealth to choose from, but I passed up many because of the extreme hot conditions in dirt barns. I'm sure our board will make that part of their future planning. They are caring individuals who do us a great service.

Voni
NOT complaining but Being Thankful

I wasn't gonna say anything but I cant resist: I am embarrassed to be a member of this club. :dunno

Maybe the next rally should be at some kind of Health Clinic or Hospital where we can all have our own air conditioned rooms with a host of nurses ready to attend to our every discomfort.

Sure it was hot, but as a "biker" you should expect that from time to time .... along with the possibility of cold, rain, wind .... and some other stuff Nature has to offer.

I feel SO badly for anyone that put effort into the rally - and there was alot of effort. I personally didn't lift a fingar but I think those who did did a great job and put on a good rally. Thank you.

Dude, if you think this site has a lot of "bitching" I have to assume you haven't been to very many "biker" sites,:scratch This is by far one of the most mild by comparison and I see alot more bitching by the younger crowd (under 50 :lol ) on most sites than by the "Old Men"!

As for the heat at the rally, in such conditions a health clinic/cooling station with AC would be a good idea, for the young as well as the old(er) crowd, which is why they set up several more misting/cooling stations Friday and were giving out free water.

RM, Bitching about the bitching about the bitching :laugh

All these manly men ragging on folks for not tolerating the heat as well as they think they should have...come on up to Vermont this winter and ride with me in single digits.

People tolerate different conditions in different ways. What a boring world it would be if we were all clones!

Yes, the heat wave could not have been predicted, but it happened and kept some people away and made others uncomfortable. So what is MOA going to do to be prepared for such contingencies going forward?

Jeez, people! Let's pull some lessons learned out of this and move on!

Pete

Back