• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Embarrassed to be a Member

I remember the feeling of being alone at a rally
, I needed an ambassador to show me the ropes :)wave iRene). I hope you (and lurkers that feel as you did) will try another rally and find out what I'm talking about.

Somehow I find that very difficult to believe. :D

The Bloomsburg Rally was my first. I first found out about it when I was reading my BMWON in Iraq. I emailed the wife and told her that I wanted to go. I started looking for places to stay sine the wife won;t like camping and decided to make it our vacation.

The Rally was fun. We stayed an hour away from the fairgrounds. So we would wake up late and head down the mountain to the rally. By the last day I was tired. I'm only 24 and have spent plenty of time in the deserts abroad and the west coast. It was hot.

My wife and I enjoyed the flame cars. We had never seen them before. But you get in that heat and start dragging things out people will get restless.

SheRidesABeemer said:

I remember the feeling of being alone at a rally, I needed an ambassador to show me the ropes ( iRene). I hope you (and lurkers that feel as you did) will try another rally and find out what I'm talking about.

Bud Meade said:
Somehow I find that very difficult to believe. :D

I don't find that difficult to believe at all. I went to this year's national rally - my first since the rally in DuQuoin (long break away from national rallies!). All the local BMW and national rallies I attended previous to DuQuoin and DuQuoin itself I was married and my ex is a far more gregarious person than I am so meeting and talking to people was easy. We also rode our bikes carrying the 80-lb dog and the toddler and both passengers sparked many a conversation.

This year I attended the national and now I'm a single, over-50 y.o. woman. Recently single at that and I'm still struggling with it. I'm not real good at or comfortable starting a conversation or introducing myself. Never have been. I'm not hugely well-versed technically about motorcycles, and BMWs in particular, so that avenue of starting a conversation is nearly impossible for me and I am of the opinion that that is one of the best ways to start conversing. I tend to clam up in situations where there are lots of strangers around. While I enjoyed the rally and did socialize a bit there were times when I felt very alone. And, yes, I did some volunteering while there - 2 stints which helped pull me out of my shell. So, I can believe someone feeling alone in the midst of a rally.

I'm trying to convince myself to go to the Finger Lakes rally this weekend and have even taken the day off on Friday to go. But I'm nervous about going *because* I was so tongue-tied at the national rally (and the weather forecast isn't encouraging).

Rapunzel

2004 R1150R, prior to that 1980 R65 which I rode for 22 years

Come to Finger Lakes. If you introduce yourself to me, I'll see that you meet some people. I usually camp midway down the entrance road. I ride a black F650 that has a pink snake and pink dragon on the front beak. Yes, it's very possible to "feel alone in a crowd". I do, too, from time to time.

Best,
Muriel

Go to Finger Lakes it's a great rally and you'll enjoy yourself, even if the weather turns bad. I've cooked,froze and almost drowned at that rally and always had a good time and an intresting story to tell at the next rally.

Might be a good idea to check out a local BMW club if you don't belong to one already.

Keep going to the rallys and soon you'll know more people than names you can remember. This is the second time in over 25 years that I'll miss Finger Lakes once because of an encounter with a four wheeler and this year I'm heading to the Salty Fog rally in Nova Scotia.
And I find it hard to believe Muriel could 'feel alone in a crowd' at any Beemer rally this side of the Mississippi.

Harry Costello :burnout

FLBMW Rally is a blast. Ride the track on saturday for 20 bucks, dance until your toes at night. Sunday visit Ithaca and the farmer market and a winery or two on the way back for sunday dinner and more dancing. It is a HOOT! We just got our lights turned back on and heading out first thing in the morning.
Peace
Tony

Back to the meat of this post

I wasn't gonna say anything but I cant resist: I am embarrassed to be a member of this club.
I knew that the MOA was an "Old Mans Club" when I joined but I never imagined that I would be reading this much bitching and complaining after a national motorcycle event. Maybe the next rally should be at some kind of Health Clinic or Hospital where we can all have our own air conditioned rooms with a host of nurses ready to attend to our every discomfort.
Sure it was hot, but as a "biker" you should expect that from time to time .... along with the possibility of cold, rain, wind .... and some other stuff Nature has to offer.
I feel SO badly for anyone that put effort into the rally - and there was alot of effort. I personally didn't lift a fingar but I think those who did did a great job and put on a good rally. Thank you.
With that said, its time for me to get out and ride (after I check the thermostat
I think there's a great point and a not so great point here. Not so great: I don't care if your fat, skinny, old, or young. Heat is dangerous, so is cold, rain and what ever else. This club isn't about seeing who can pee the furthest. Great point: The people that put this stuff together are volunteers. They don't have to do any of this, they're not getting paid and they're busting their butts for our benefit. I'm new to this club but I'm sooo grateful for it because I can't think of many other places where there is so much opportunity to enjoy your bike, meet like minded people, or share the great things we discover on our bikes. SO complain all you want, but remember you are lucky to have something to complain about. And from what I can tell, the volunteers are listening, they'll work to make it better next year, and when your frustrated about how things are going, stop, take a step back and look around at the people you get to spend this time with. Things could be worse.

I look forward to meeting you all at future events and rallies and wish you safe riding.

I'm trying to convince myself to go to the Finger Lakes rally this weekend and have even taken the day off on Friday to go. But I'm nervous about going *because* I was so tongue-tied at the national rally (and the weather forecast isn't encouraging).

the answer to this is simple.... drink more. :buds :ha

Back