Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rally - Site suggestion

How about some place oceanfront?

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    don't quote me on this, but it appears that another rally in Canada is not going to happen. We had massive problems with borders, taxes and other governmental issues that it just doesn't appear possible.

personally i would LOVE to go to a rally in BC or NS.

ian
    Too bad, as Trenton was my best rally experience. I didn't have any trouble crossing the border.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    My understanding due in part to Mr. Feeler's comments on i-bmwr.org site that the 2013 site has been selected it's just a matter of crossing the 't's and dotting the 'i's and won't be announced 'till sometime in the spring..so this discussion is a moot point..
    Clay, what statement by me on the IBMWR list are your referring to? Thanks.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by rmcclure View Post
    I realize there may be logistical challenges to holding a rally north of the border, in Canada, but to appear to automatically exclude the possibility doesn't make me feel like I am part of a welcoming and inclusive organization. Why would a Canadian rally site not work if the right venue and the right team were found?

There was a rally in Canada in the past. Were there problems that prove to be insurmountable, or was it not well attended? Were there problems with the venue? I thought BMW motorcycles were supposed to be for adventurous travelers, whether on or off pavement, yet it is too difficult to come to a rally in Canada because you might have to cross a border, which you would have to cross anyway if you were ever to go to Alaska.
    Although Tenton was a fantastic site, the process of holding the rally across the border was exceedingly difficult on the operational side. One of the prize bikes got held up by Canadian Customs and never did make it to the rally, and it took us five weeks afterward to get it back and give it to the winner. There was many problems with bringing merchandise over the boarder for our venders with the result that a very large number of them didn't attend or brought reduced inventories. The Canadian Customs laws and regulations where just very, very difficult to work with.

Canada has many fantastic locations for rallies, but they need to be locally produced like with the Return To Trenton rally.
    Greg Feeler

Canucklehead
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Wouldn't all the US members need to get a passport to go into Canada? I think that'd probably deter many from going to a Rally there..

my .02
    C
    Guess what we Canadians need to enter the USA and attend the MOA rally there: the same documentation (passport/Nexus card/enhanced DL). Plus a passport is a useful thing to have, you can use it to travel all over the world.

I thought BMW International Rallies were "International" but I see 4 zones of America only ............
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Quote Originally Posted by 119240 View Post
    I thought BMW International Rallies were "International" but I see 4 zones of America only ............
    Our rallies are international in the sense that Chicago's O'Hare Airport is international: we have people come from all over the world, not because we go there.
    Greg Feeler

Canucklehead
    I don't want to be rude, but that is a truly American understanding of the meaning of the word 'International'.

Quote Originally Posted by 87R100RS View Post
    I don't want to be rude, but that is a truly American understanding of the meaning of the word 'International'.
    As I have stated before, based on our experience with the Trenton rally proved that the nature of our rally and the requirements of Canadian & US Customs are not compatible. The MOA had a *lot* of difficulty moving materials and merchandise into Canada and back, as did our vendors. There are many beautiful venues and riding opportunities in Canada, but if the logistics of the rally are not workable then we need to look for other kinds of "international" events.
    Greg Feeler

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    snip There are many beautiful venues and riding opportunities in Canada, but if the logistics of the rally are not workable then we need to look for other kinds of "international" events.
    As a club or individuals? As for me personally, I don't have the means to travel beyond the U.S. and Canada. However, I would not admonish the club to move the rally beyond those regions. Are you saying the rally could go beyond North America?
    Last edited by Tennessean; 08-09-2011 at 03:22 AM. Reason: add some stuff
    2013 Goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    As a club or individuals? As for me personally, I don't have the means to travel beyond the U.S. and Canada. However, I would not admonish the club to move the rally beyond those regions. Are you saying the rally could go beyond North America?
    It wouldn't be practical to consider an event outside of North America. The point of our rally is to provide a major event for our core membership and that's clearly in the U.S. and Canada. There are some of the other international BMW motorcycle clubs who have big gatherings but nothing on the scale of the MOA rally. In fact, other then the BMW AG sponsored and paid for "Biker's Meeting" in Garmish, Germany, the MOA rally is the largest BMW enthusiast event (car or bike) in the world.
    Greg Feeler

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    Although Tenton was a fantastic site, the process of holding the rally across the border was exceedingly difficult on the operational side. One of the prize bikes got held up by Canadian Customs and never did make it to the rally, and it took us five weeks afterward to get it back and give it to the winner. There was many problems with bringing merchandise over the boarder for our venders with the result that a very large number of them didn't attend or brought reduced inventories. The Canadian Customs laws and regulations where just very, very difficult to work with.
    So much for 'Free Trade', huh?

Doesn't matter to us; we happily head off to wherever the Rally is!

Or NAFTA - LOL
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

In addition to the MOA, I belong to a club for Airstream RV's. I've noticed an uncanny association between where the MOA and the Airstream club have their rallies!

Essex Jxn, VT -- Airstream 2003 MOA 2006
    Gillette, WY -- Airstream 2009 MOA 2008
    Sedalia, MO -- Airstream 2012 MOA 2012

Those are just the ones that I can recall from recent history.

Here's a list of places the Airstream Club has had rallies and you may want to consider on your list of prospective places. Airstreamers need about as much space to park their ~600 or so trailers as we need to camp with thousands of tents. However, they are not as concerned with proximity to good motorcycling roads!

Perry, GA -- Large fairgrounds with lots of air-conditioned buildings. Plenty of grassy area, some with shade and some lakeside to camp. Downside is very boring roads!

Springfield, MO -- Closer to good riding. Large event center downtown...would not be able to camp at the site where vendors/seminars are located to my knowledge.

Sioux Falls, SD -- Nice fairgrounds with plenty of air-conditioned space for vendors relatively close to grassy camping sites. Not sure the surrounding area is great for riding.

Rapid City, SD -- Probably some of the nicest area to ride in the country! Nice area to have seminars/vendors inside in A/C, but not sure there's enough space close by for camping. But plenty of hotel/motel options.

Salem, OR -- Don't know much as I didn't attend, but looked like a nice place that might be alright for a BMW rally.

Airstream club's highest attended rally in history was held in Louisville, KY -- which I've seen others on this thread present as a consideration!
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

Another observation on Canada rallies.

The Airstream Club is also an international Club (Wally Byam Caravan Club International).

We used to hold rallies in Canada, but have not for over 20 years due to some of the same reasons mentioned above.
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt