• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Rally - Site suggestion

Bolado Park:)

Got the spelling here:). Bolado Park, Tres Pinos,CA, 7 miles South of HollisterCA, Hwy25. Home of the San Benito County Fair and tons of other stuff. There website has plenty of pics, so Google search it, an easy find. We have lots of dirt adventure for the/my GSA riding, paved "lengendary"roads to drool over, non better and temps within reason so close to the Pacific Coast, less than 30-40minute ride to Monterey,Santa Cruz areas. Some of the absol;ute BEST wine country just a really short ride(1 hour+) South all around Paso RoblesCA and the Coast areas there, "taking over" Napa Valley or at least an equal in performance wine making facilities. Too many to visit in a week:). SF and San Jose is an hour+ North for city folks needing a fix on bright lights and the GG Bridge. Hollister Airport, a favorite of mine, HOME to many "active flying"WW2 warbirds to visit. My pilot blood showing here:)....Just too much overload and stuff to do, so my LAST post bragging about my rally site pic:). Should be a no brainer, just what year???! Happy Trails ALL, Randy

Logistics for a Canadian Site

While I understand that there were many issues with customs, etc for the Trenton Rally, I'm sure the logistical nightmare can be overcome. If there is a convoy of MOA, vendors, suppliers, etc that come across the border at the same time in the same place (especially with the assistance of somebody like, say, UPS), the headaches could disappear. After all, NASCAR, F1, Indy Racing League and other racing series seem to enjoy coming to Canada on an annual basis. None of these organizations seem to have any sort of problem getting their cars, equipment, team members, souvenir trailers, etc into Canada and back. The first time NASCAR's Busch series raced in Mexico, all the teams met at the border, UPS had customs packages for them and away they went. 86 cars, parts, crews and swag.

What I am saying is that if there is a strong enough desire by the MOA, another Canadian rally site is possible.

If you want to consider a western Canadian site, the Camrose Regional Exhibition grounds have pretty much everything you are looking for. Lots of hotel space within and hour of the site for those who don't want to camp (seems to me the best hotel prices for Gillette were 40 miles away). Banff is 3 hours away. Other destination rides are close by. For those with lots of time, the Calgary Stampede usually ends the weekend before the MOA Rally.

Just my opinion.

While I understand that there were many issues with customs, etc for the Trenton Rally, I'm sure the logistical nightmare can be overcome. If there is a convoy of MOA, vendors, suppliers, etc that come across the border at the same time in the same place (especially with the assistance of somebody like, say, UPS), the headaches could disappear. After all, NASCAR, F1, Indy Racing League and other racing series seem to enjoy coming to Canada on an annual basis. None of these organizations seem to have any sort of problem getting their cars, equipment, team members, souvenir trailers, etc into Canada and back. The first time NASCAR's Busch series raced in Mexico, all the teams met at the border, UPS had customs packages for them and away they went. 86 cars, parts, crews and swag.

What I am saying is that if there is a strong enough desire by the MOA, another Canadian rally site is possible.

If you want to consider a western Canadian site, the Camrose Regional Exhibition grounds have pretty much everything you are looking for. Lots of hotel space within and hour of the site for those who don't want to camp (seems to me the best hotel prices for Gillette were 40 miles away). Banff is 3 hours away. Other destination rides are close by. For those with lots of time, the Calgary Stampede usually ends the weekend before the MOA Rally.

Just my opinion.

Just got back from Vancouver (by plane) and would make every attempt to make the National if it were scheduled for Western Canada.

Very well thought out post.

ME too:)

BC Canada has got to be one of the best riding areas I've ever been. Surely ranks high:). Alberta too, near the Rockies. Just maybe its our 10000 attendee mark, we will reach there? How ironic that would be, for our International Org..:). Randy

What I am saying is that if there is a strong enough budget and staff by the MOA, another Canadian rally site is possible.

fixed. :)

not to mock our very small, hard-working staff or our budget driven by a $39 fee from 8-9k people, or our hundreds of independent vendors but we are not the IRL, NASCAR or F1 by a *very* long shot.

Whistler would be my choice. :nod

Ian

Would camping inside air conditioned comfort be mandatory or an option with camping spaces still available outside?

not sure, since this is all hypothetical, but in Louisville, you'd probably want to be indoors because otherwise you'd be camping at the end of the runways for the very busy Louisville International Airport.

Bolado Park at Hollister also doesn't begin to have the space that BMW MOA wants for camping, nor are there anywhere near enough hotel rooms nearby.

A few years ago (in another rally thread), I looked at all or nearly all of the county fairgrounds in California, and at Bolado Park (because it is a great location). Very few could meet the indoor space requirements; all failed for some reason or another.

Kidding?

You gotta be:). I've been there to the HD Rally(same park) with sooooo many more bikers camping too and all there than we could ever imagine having at the BMW Event. I happen to know it works just fine, regarding space requirements. Motels are in abundance to, overflowing with'em all within a 20 mile radius, more rooms than most rallies we've had recent years and then some. These two ideas are not valid anymore for this location...There may be some other issues, but indeed not these anymore! The HD July4th event went on for a lot of years and the City of Hollister had a falling out with the HD crowd, as I hear it? It was a huge biker event, including the fairgrounds as the HQ site. Insurance and a piece of the pie$$$ came into effect, regarding City Fees, ran the HD Event out of town:(...Sad! So many HD'ers still show up there every year, as an impromtu get together, unorganized. I know the area well, as you too from SCruz I think probably do. Its changed so much in recxent years in growth and all for tourism, etc., that your data is not current anymore, as I see it. It still may be a sour grape spot, but one worth seeing into again. I hope its not lost from the selection process, quite as yet anyhow:). At 59 and 50 year biker, I've been around to long to not know a great place in the making when I see one and you too apparently saw the same, my friend:). I'll gladly work on it more IF I see interest in Cal again....Later, Randy

One more data:

Indoor space required??? We all, or most do, that Cal does not require indoor space as most Eastern sites, because the weather here is so much more an "outdoor event" to start with. Rain is a non issue in July:). This park has a fairly large amount of indoor space, BUT if not enough, whats wrong with outdoors I ask? Laguna Seca was NO indoor space at all, all tents. That was not my favorite, I've already spoke on that earlier, as a poor rally. Indoors is great, but lets not kill a site for that reason PLEASE, especially in the West:)...Our weather(for the BETTER) is like no other in the USA:). I'll try to drop this for now, as I've had my say to a large degree on the Hollister area. Its out there and I am too, for all to ask help of if required. Thanks, Randy"Polarbear":usa:thumb

hahahaha... i know SOMEONE would bitch about it!!! :nod

seriously... i would really like to try this. use duct tape on the floor instead of pegs. we were going to do this in 2005 in Perry, GA, but the deal fell through over the beer.

Hi Ian- If we camp indoors, where would I set up the spit for the beef?:eat:dance

Here's the link to the Bolado Park ("San Benito County Fair") website:
http://www.sanbenitocountyfair.com

Here's a summary of the MOA International Rally facility requirements that I found here on the forum, from 2007:
Here are the minimum site requirements paraphrased from a previous thread: Approx. 100 secure acres minimum site size; at least 50,000 square feet of vendor space; seminar space; camping space; availability of enough food vendors or providers to feed 8,000 - 9,000 riders; at least 2,000 motel rooms in a 20 mile radius; availability of showers and MOA beer sales permitted.

From perusing the Bolado Park info, I find that there's only 12,000 sq. ft. of indoor space. Even if the temps are nice and the weather fair, a lot of merchants want to be inside where the place can be locked overnight. Similar issues for the vintage display and others.

Looking at Google Maps, I estimate the entire park size at about 32 acres (I couldn't find the number on their website). There are a total of 33 RV spaces available, which sounds pretty meager to me considering that a lot of merchants travel by RV.

You gotta be:). I've been there to the HD Rally(same park) with sooooo many more bikers camping too and all there than we could ever imagine having at the BMW Event. I happen to know it works just fine, regarding space requirements. Motels are in abundance to, overflowing with'em all within a 20 mile radius, more rooms than most rallies we've had recent years and then some. These two ideas are not valid anymore for this location...There may be some other issues, but indeed not these anymore! The HD July4th event went on for a lot of years and the City of Hollister had a falling out with the HD crowd, as I hear it? It was a huge biker event, including the fairgrounds as the HQ site. Insurance and a piece of the pie$$$ came into effect, regarding City Fees, ran the HD Event out of town:(...Sad! So many HD'ers still show up there every year, as an impromtu get together, unorganized. I know the area well, as you too from SCruz I think probably do. Its changed so much in recxent years in growth and all for tourism, etc., that your data is not current anymore, as I see it. It still may be a sour grape spot, but one worth seeing into again. I hope its not lost from the selection process, quite as yet anyhow:). At 59 and 50 year biker, I've been around to long to not know a great place in the making when I see one and you too apparently saw the same, my friend:). I'll gladly work on it more IF I see interest in Cal again....Later, Randy

See my previous message above. The Monterey fairgrounds offer about 30,000 sq. ft. of indoor space; the park is only 22 acres; they have an exclusive deal for catering/food, which likely means that the MOA would not be able to capture beer sales.

(The last item, which infuriates many, is a main reason why the rally can be held for $40. Many local rallies that offer far less cost more because of the rising costs to rent facilities.)

In the brochure, there's a kind of btw mention of a maximum of 3,000 people.

Zone 4 = 2014.

As the Rally Committee mentioned at the 2011 Rally, Zone 2(Sedalia, MO) has it next year, then Zone 3. Zone 1 (West Coast) is 2014. Post #5 of this thread has the Zone map.

So all you California lobbyists start your own 2014 thread! :nyah

Last edited:
Here's a link to the whole process (had to search on RSST to find this, so don't feel bad...)

The map on that page is old....

Here is a map of the current zones.

As the Rally Committee mentioned at the 2011 Rally, Zone 2 (Sedalia, MO) has it next year, then Zone 3. Zone 4 (West Coast) is 2014. Post #5 of this thread has the Zone map.

So all you California lobbyists start your own 2014 thread! :nyah

Sedalia, MO is in zone 3.
Every few years they change the zone maps and say that they are starting over.

Back