• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Rally - Site suggestion

Then get rid of "International" at the least - it's insulting to our fellow riders North & South of the USA. If MOA includes "International" riders in the Mileage Contest, Camp Gear, & Rider Performance University - then include Canada & Mexico in the 4 zones of MOA International Rally - is all I'm asking & friends who are non Americans. And yes it's insulting that they are not included in future Rally sites picked.[/QUOTE]

Is not...:):usa

StateSide is fine by us Canucks

My only rally was Redmond and it was GREAT !! I travelled across Canada the previous summer and that too was GREAT !!

Personally I prefer to travel south for a rally and as a Canadian it is International.

Drop in to the BMW Mottorad Rally / Race weekend at Mosport in Ontario for the Canadian flavor. They slotted it in August so as to not conflict with the BMWMOA International.

i have a question to the folks posting here.

how much more than than the current rally fee ($39) would you be willing to pay to have indoor air-conditioned camping, of for that matter, the whole danged rally inside this building?

also, i'll bet there is almost definitely a beer concessionaire here, too, so figure on $5 budweisers.

just curious.... personally i think venues like these are realistic options, but the costs are almost certain to be higher.

ian

i have a question to the folks posting here.

how much more than than the current rally fee ($39) would you be willing to pay to have indoor air-conditioned camping, of for that matter, the whole danged rally inside this building?

also, i'll bet there is almost definitely a beer concessionaire here, too, so figure on $5 budweisers.

just curious.... personally i think venues like these are realistic options, but the costs are almost certain to be higher.

ian

I to old and broken up for the camping but I think a $10 surcharge would be fair and I don't think it would drive people away.

i've passed this on to the right folks.

do you have any sense of how heavy the air traffic is there? the place is right at the end of the runway for the Louisville Int'l Airport.

Ian

That airport is the U.S. hub of air operations for UPS. It would be fair to say a couple flights a day (24/7) go in and out of there, especially all night long! Average daily inbound/outbound flights for UPS alone is 251.

Indoor camping?? Really??? Living in a sterile environ, waking up to artificial lighting???? Walking zombie like not knowing if it is day or night????? Really??????
Sounds like a bad "b" movie starring Michael York and Farrah Fawcett. Oh wait, there were some real cool holograph ideas, and there was Farrah, but still, indoor camping????????

Indoor camping?? Really??? Living in a sterile environ, waking up to artificial lighting???? Walking zombie like not knowing if it is day or night????? Really??????
Sounds like a bad "b" movie starring Michael York and Farrah Fawcett. Oh wait, there were some real cool holograph ideas, and there was Farrah, but still, indoor camping????????

hahahaha... i know SOMEONE would bitch about it!!! :nod

seriously... i would really like to try this. use duct tape on the floor instead of pegs. we were going to do this in 2005 in Perry, GA, but the deal fell through over the beer.

Indoor camping... done it once (3 nites) after the MOA a few years back.. at the EAA Oshkosh Airventure. At the YMCA on the indoor, padded soccer fields.
A duct taped space of 10x12 with the tent ducted down; A/C .. fresh clean towels, spa & sauna, heated indoor/outdoor pool.... lights out at 11pm
Didnt see an airshow all week!

hahahaha... i know SOMEONE would bitch about it!!! :nod

seriously... i would really like to try this. use duct tape on the floor instead of pegs. we were going to do this in 2005 in Perry, GA, but the deal fell through over the beer.

Ha, Ian. Frankly, I'd either get a hotel room or stay home. Indoor "camping" would be at the bottom of my list of fun things. :bluduh

indoor bikes?

If we "camped" indoors would we be able to park our bikes inside too? Imagine a closed building with bikes starting up all day long (can you say carbon monoxide). Hope they have a good ventilation system, but wait they couldn't or the AC would be lost.
Now big tents(in a grassy field not a paved parking lot) for everone to camp under so they had shade all day, that's something I might consider paying extra for. Been to a rally where they had same, it was nice in the middle of the day and you didn't need the fly on your tent so it was cooler at night. Of course that might curtail some folks late night in tent activities, but we won't go there. :nono
Big tents would be expensive of course but if you could get a sponser for each (or several) tents that might help mitigate some of the extra cost. And like I said, I'd pay extra for that before I'd pay extra to sleep on a concrete floor.

If you want "indoor camping", check out the Biker Loft Hotel Groenedijk (yes, it's in Belgium, near the Ostende ferry terminal):

http://www.grd.be/bikersloft/

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aGnMCC8j5vE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I stayed here about 8-10 years ago, and it's pretty neat. The building is an old garment factory. The front third is a cafe/bar/rec area (the museum is new since I was there). The rear two thirds of the building is an indoor parking area for those staying at the hotel (video surveillance and locked at night), with motel rooms surrounding the parking area on two floors. There's a communal shower and restroom facility on the ground floor.

The bar had a wide variety of beer choices (Belgium is famous for its beer). There are roll up glass doors on the cafe, so if it's nice outside, all the tables are "outside". But if it's rainy -- not too uncommon -- then you can still see the outdoors.

From the video, it looks like they've changed the way food is done. When I was there, there was a real kitchen and restaurant that made pretty good food.

However, I don't remember it as having any air conditioning...

If we "camped" indoors would we be able to park our bikes inside too? Imagine a closed building with bikes starting up all day long (can you say carbon monoxide). Hope they have a good ventilation system, but wait they couldn't or the AC would be lost.

clearly you've not been to a Supercross race? :ha

I would imagine that this depends on the venue, obviously it would be great to park next to your bike... and I bet the HVAC in modern buildings provides plenty of ventilation while keeping the building cool.

Now big tents(in a grassy field not a paved parking lot) for everone to camp under so they had shade all day, that's something I might consider paying extra for.

... snip

Big tents would be expensive of course but if you could get a sponser for each (or several) tents that might help mitigate some of the extra cost. And like I said, I'd pay extra for that before I'd pay extra to sleep on a concrete floor.

interesting idea. probably would need to add some of those big fans for breeze... and I wonder what a week of shade would do to the grass. but a real interesting idea.

i didn't state my question very accurately before... the paying extra part wasn't so much for the camping indoors as it was for the cost of such a facility that provides this level of exhibit space quality. These types of places are *significantly* more expensive than the fairground type of facilities we typically rent.

honestly, i think i've attended my last meeting or seminar in a Sheep barn.

Would camping inside air conditioned comfort be mandatory or an option with camping spaces still available outside? If optional I think it would be a great way to plan for unpredictable contingencies like record heat, heavy rains, etc. I'd be willing to spend a few bucks more so those unable to handle extreme conditions would have an alternative. For me personally, it would have to be pretty extreme for me to camp inside. Conditions at the last rally prevented me from attending because I had no way to protect my dog from the heat, but if A/C had been available I wouldn't have worried so much about that fur coat of his.

Where'd we go wrong?

I vote NO to indoor ideas. Need cool, camp higher elevations, so lets go there:). Redmond at 3800' drew low cool temps at night, perfect. We can still get higher than that,however around NAmerica. Repeat(not so high, near Sea Level) HOLLISTER, CA, so near the California Coast, its frequently nice and cool as the "marine layer" from the ocean, we call it here, gets close to Hollister. Same day riding just a "few miles" from 90+ to 50s for temps:) and this is frequent every day Summer near our Ca. Coast...You'll have a tough time finding many better sights,imo......The County Park/Fairground(Bilado Park, spelling???) site just South of Town is Ideal and one beautiful grassy, well kept grounds:). I know this is near my home(100+ miles) and I beg for volunteerism, do I not??? Anyhow, this one should bring CA back into the fold, or at least a look see...Randy"Polarbear"Owens......PS; I SURE like Canada and I know the issues, BUT maybe we can try harder again:). B.C.,Canada(many places and COOL), my other vote:)...

ONE more thing;

California is our "MOA Rally HOME state, being "Morgan Hill,CA" was the first sight for the big rally. Am I right? Much smaller then of course, but Hollister gets us back near that beginning, just to the South of Morgan Hill. Laguna Seca National Rally was there too, I mentioned already, but that one suffered poorly. Race track idea was somewhat of a chill on attendance I think and lacked facilities bigtime:(. Hollister, a huge thumbs UP:). My one vote, can I be seen among 40000 members waving my arms:):):):clap:clap! Randy

Rally Sites

Not sure I would be a great fan of indoor camping anywhere
I slept very comfortably in my chair outside my tent one night in Bloomsburg
Hollister sounds like it would be a good plan as its many years since the MOA had a Califonia rally

Back