• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Rally - Site suggestion

Wouldn't all the US members need to get a passport to go into Canada? I think that'd probably deter many from going to a Rally there..

my .02
C

Hi Casey, no different for us to go to a rally in the USA, we need a passport for that...........Rod.

What about the missing parts of N America, it is an International club, right? (eh)

I realize there may be logistical challenges to holding a rally north of the border, in Canada, but to appear to automatically exclude the possibility doesn't make me feel like I am part of a welcoming and inclusive organization. Why would a Canadian rally site not work if the right venue and the right team were found?

There was a rally in Canada in the past. Were there problems that prove to be insurmountable, or was it not well attended? Were there problems with the venue? I thought BMW motorcycles were supposed to be for adventurous travelers, whether on or off pavement, yet it is too difficult to come to a rally in Canada because you might have to cross a border, which you would have to cross anyway if you were ever to go to Alaska.

This is a global economy folks. Yes there are import/export issues for vendors, and yes US citizens will need passports or Nexus cards or somesuch to cross back into the US, and yes, some folks probably won't be permitted into Canada.

But I don't think a second Canada rally ought to be written off. That said, 2012 is booked; 2013 is certainly in negotiations, 2014 is probably in at least preliminary negotiatons, and 2015 is probably in sight.

Last time we had a rally in Canada the Kiltmaster and other Canadians took the lead in finding the site, selling it to the Board (I was either on the Board or President at the time, I forget which, but do recall the presentation), and agreeing to chair the rally.

Some usual US vendors chose not to haul stuff north, but several Canadian vendors selling the same global brands were there. It was a truly delightful rally for most who attended.

I wouldn't write it off. It will take a good site and a lot of work just like last time, and like every rally.

If the club couldn't have a rally there at least the option to be more involved in the Summerfest would be nice ...... perhaps a MOA regional ????

I would think Motorrad Canada would be receptive to this.

I think as a Canadian I support the four zone approach for the US with a loop through a Canadian venue every second time through the four zones. It would allow for an 8 to 1 ratio of US and still allow a northern experience. I am sensitive to to much larger numbers of American members so this likely shouldn't be a hard and fast thing, but should be open to the possibility. If the BMWMOA would entertain the potential of a Canadian venue it would seem equitable and as Paul mentioned there needs to be strong volunteer effort and support to make it happen. I have only attended one rally so far in Redmond OR last year so am far from an expert but definitely 'get' just how difficult it must be to find a great place for that many people meet anywhere. I think I have convinced my SO to to ride her RT or pillion on mine to the rally next year in Sedalia so I am officially stoked about that.

P.S July and August are just fine temperature wise in the Great White North - eh!

If the club couldn't have a rally there at least the option to be more involved in the Summerfest would be nice ...... perhaps a MOA regional ????

I would think Motorrad Canada would be receptive to this.

Formal MOA support/involvement in Summerfest could make the foundation of a good regional rally. Motorrad Canada already has their test fleet there and sponsors a number of activities. Plus the scheduled superbike races on the track. Worth following up.

There was a rally in Canada in the past. Were there problems that prove to be insurmountable, or was it not well attended?

But I don't think a second Canada rally ought to be written off.

i don't think so either, but the governmental problems i remember were pretty significant.

the rally in trenton was excellent, and not even all that hot. :)

but the challenges of getting materials into and back out of the country were extraordinarily thorny... i remember BMW wanting to bring the Mobile Tradition bikes to the rally... from Germany, through the USA... and you just could not get there from here. this was the first time that MT had ever come to our shores and it was a major CF.

Paul, you may remember better than I... as i was just a lowly web toadie... but it seemed like our HQ and vendor people had to jump through hoops and over mountains of government paperwork to get things into and out of Canada without getting taxed into oblivion.

that said, Whistler BC would be a wonderful destination for our rally.

Formal MOA support/involvement in Summerfest could make the foundation of a good regional rally. Motorrad Canada already has their test fleet there and sponsors a number of activities. Plus the scheduled superbike races on the track. Worth following up.

:thumb great idea!

ian

don't quote me on this, but it appears that another rally in Canada is not going to happen. We had massive problems with borders, taxes and other governmental issues that it just doesn't appear possible.

personally i would LOVE to go to a rally in BC or NS.

ian

Too bad, as Trenton was my best rally experience. I didn't have any trouble crossing the border.

Harry

My understanding due in part to Mr. Feeler's comments on i-bmwr.org site that the 2013 site has been selected it's just a matter of crossing the 't's and dotting the 'i's and won't be announced 'till sometime in the spring..so this discussion is a moot point..:dunno

Clay, what statement by me on the IBMWR list are your referring to? Thanks.

I realize there may be logistical challenges to holding a rally north of the border, in Canada, but to appear to automatically exclude the possibility doesn't make me feel like I am part of a welcoming and inclusive organization. Why would a Canadian rally site not work if the right venue and the right team were found?

There was a rally in Canada in the past. Were there problems that prove to be insurmountable, or was it not well attended? Were there problems with the venue? I thought BMW motorcycles were supposed to be for adventurous travelers, whether on or off pavement, yet it is too difficult to come to a rally in Canada because you might have to cross a border, which you would have to cross anyway if you were ever to go to Alaska.

Although Tenton was a fantastic site, the process of holding the rally across the border was exceedingly difficult on the operational side. One of the prize bikes got held up by Canadian Customs and never did make it to the rally, and it took us five weeks afterward to get it back and give it to the winner. There was many problems with bringing merchandise over the boarder for our venders with the result that a very large number of them didn't attend or brought reduced inventories. The Canadian Customs laws and regulations where just very, very difficult to work with.

Canada has many fantastic locations for rallies, but they need to be locally produced like with the Return To Trenton rally.

Wouldn't all the US members need to get a passport to go into Canada? I think that'd probably deter many from going to a Rally there..

my .02
C

Guess what we Canadians need to enter the USA and attend the MOA rally there: the same documentation (passport/Nexus card/enhanced DL). Plus a passport is a useful thing to have, you can use it to travel all over the world.

I thought BMW International Rallies were "International" but I see 4 zones of America only ............ :scratch

I thought BMW International Rallies were "International" but I see 4 zones of America only ............ :scratch

Our rallies are international in the sense that Chicago's O'Hare Airport is international: we have people come from all over the world, not because we go there. :nod

I don't want to be rude, but that is a truly American understanding of the meaning of the word 'International'.

As I have stated before, based on our experience with the Trenton rally proved that the nature of our rally and the requirements of Canadian & US Customs are not compatible. The MOA had a *lot* of difficulty moving materials and merchandise into Canada and back, as did our vendors. There are many beautiful venues and riding opportunities in Canada, but if the logistics of the rally are not workable then we need to look for other kinds of "international" events.

snip There are many beautiful venues and riding opportunities in Canada, but if the logistics of the rally are not workable then we need to look for other kinds of "international" events.

As a club or individuals? As for me personally, I don't have the means to travel beyond the U.S. and Canada. However, I would not admonish the club to move the rally beyond those regions. Are you saying the rally could go beyond North America?

Last edited:
Back