• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600GTL Hot Feet!

Any more comments or news on the "hot feet" issues?

Is it the same issue with both the GT and the GTL?

Apparently most of the heat complaints have "melted" away!
Nope -- the number just went down during winter when the foot heaters were being appreciated! :D

Both the GT and GTL have the same air/heat flow arrangements. As it gets warmer, you'll start hearing more complaints.

I normally have BMW All-Round boots and Darien AD-1 pants on, so I rarely notice the heat. Those not doing ATGATT feel it more. I find most of the heat is from the air that comes through the gap between the bottom of the lower fairing and the top of the foot, which tends to be diverted up the shin. I expect a small air deflector under the lower fairing edge to block the foot-fairing gap would signficantly reduce the felt heat.

Last edited:
First thing I notice about this was, it is a K bike. That and the 100 degree heat while riding behind a fairing the size of a Mack truck.

Seriously, you will enjoy the extention of your riding season.

left leg heat

The k16gtl does put out some heat on the left leg not noticing any on the right. Sometimes it seems as though there is never enough. Do you remember riding your first beater of a bike it was hot, uncomfortable maybe you had to even mix oil and gas but it didnÔÇÖt matter it was yours and you were free. Back then there were no rain suits or formal riding gear maybe just jeans and a leather jacket. You got on the road and letÔÇÖs say decided to go on a 250 mile trip (3 breakdowns) it rained you got wet and smiled you got cold and smiled through clenched teeth. you picked bugs out of your teeth and smiled doing it (whatÔÇÖs a windshield and forget about Elect adjusting it. These are not beaters and you pay dearly for the opportunity to ride it but it seems as though complaining about a little heat is a bit much. Now please I am not looking to get slammed for a opinion as the saying goes but a little heat and the payment on the bike and you get to ride the coolest bike I have ever been on with owning now my 12th bike. Every bike ever made has had one issue or another as none are perfect. Again just a opinion.

BMW engineered this on purpose. It is a reminder to let you know you are going too slow and that you have 160 horses at your disposal to air things out.

So far for me the heat on my left foot is a non-issue. Yeah it's warmer on the left than right foot but I ride with heavy boots on so it doesn't bother me at all.

Rick H.

Back