• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Embarrassing closing ceremony

I can't believe this thread still lives!:violin

I think this thread still "lives and breathes" because with next year in Sedalia, MO (a potential oven), members are looking for assurances / game plans that it will not be a carbon-copy of Bloomsburg, in terms of heat management. :scratch

I think this thread still "lives and breathes" because with next year in Sedalia, MO (a potential oven), members are looking for assurances / game plans that it will not be a carbon-copy of Bloomsburg, in terms of heat management. :scratch

dude.

we're going with turbine-powered flame cars next year, and using the afterburner to melt down a stack of rusted harleys.

:thumb

Can we pile the harleys up and have them crushed by GS's before melting? We could put it next to the water feature for the competition.

I don't see any basis for a rally goer needing to be present to win a donated prize. How much of an advertising advantage or any advantage, goes to the donor who requires presence as opposed to one who does not? Some donors might object and no longer donate, if so it would make no difference for those not in attendance.

Since the closing ceremonies seem to continually generate complaints, lets eliminate the "winner must be present" option for our kind and generous donors. Surely they would be inclined to listen to reason. It's not right that they dictate a policy that causes so much anger & frustration among our members.

This accomplished, those who attend the ceremonies would choose to. Having an appreciative audience would make everyone feel better.

Harley bashing.

Iv'e never been on a Harley forum but I wonder if they bash BMW's and especially the venerable GS's as much as this forum does them. Harley has some good bikes and some good people not only working for them but also as riders. Some of you need to get another hobbie.:violin

If that is true, then I would say that the customers have voted and we should respect that. Does this not mean that the whole closing ceremony concept may need re-engineering?

It's on our list, Friends.
See the thread >>> here <<<

On this topic alone, here are some discussion points we are addressing:
-----> Do the rally attendees like to win those big prizes?
----->What if the vendor who is donating the prize wants his/her time on stage to pitch his product, in return for a coveted grand prize worth $$$ thousand -
----->and what if said-vendor wants the winner to be present to win?
----->What's more important?
The Grand Prize?
Or the time involved with the vendor being on the stage?​

Then multiply that times the 7-10 grand prize donors, and whaddaya get?

How about when we want to give away the "Friend of the Marque" or the "Knochlein Award" ? Those are so prestigious, and actually come from the International Council in Europe. Do we need to take time on the stage for that stuff?

And what about thanking the rally chairs and other volunteers.... Should we stop doing that? It takes a few minutes too.

Where do we cut corners?

We have some ideas that just might work. It's on our agenda for discussion tonight.

These are all things that we are struggling with, my friends. Change is tough, and we want to be sure we are doing it well, with the best interests of the club as a whole as our primary goal.

The Ad Hoc rally Review Committee - an update:
We have been hammering away at some deep-seeded philosophies and procedures. Some may change - some may not. The discussions have been intense and productive. Tonight is our third conference call of the Ad Hoc Rally Review Committee, in as many weeks.

We hope to have something to bring to the board meeting in 3 weeks with some recommendations, but these discussions deserve to be well-thought out and hammered through.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. :thumb

Iv'e never been on a Harley forum but I wonder if they bash BMW's and especially the venerable GS's as much as this forum does them. Harley has some good bikes and some good people not only working for them but also as riders. Some of you need to get another hobbie.:violin

I 'hang' with a group of about 35 different MSF RiderCoaches here in Wisconsin throughout the year.

The majority ride 'Milwaukee Iron' and take cheap shots at us few BMW guys on a routine basis.

We don't take it personally and give it right back to them. It's harmless banter, but don't be under the impression that the H-D crowd doesn't get their licks in with the Beemer faithful - they do. :stick

Last edited:
Next election process starts in January 2013. Good luck everyone!

Holy Crap!

I just got done fine-tuning my 500-word 'Intro/Position Statement' for Muriel and you mean to tell me there is no BoD position to even run for next year?!

Back into my cave for the next fifteen months. :bolt

Last edited:
The vendors put in a very large effort for the Rally. RevZilla and Twisted Throttle treated the GS Giants very very well, and had a large presence at the Rally proper. If a vendor is donating a prize, the winner should be present, it's only fair. Maybe, if one knows one will not be in attendance for the closing ceremonies, one should do everyone a favor and not drop one's ticket in the appropriate box. That would help greatly in moving things along.:hide

How about when we want to give away the "Friend of the Marque" or the "Knochlein Award" ? Those are so prestigious, and actually come from the International Council in Europe. Do we need to take time on the stage for that stuff ?

Those folks need to be flown to Germany and forced to ride in the Alps.

Or

Allowed to attend the BMW ICC annual event. :whistle

Where do we cut corners?

instead of cutting corners try focusing on increasing efficiency.

it would be confusing to get into a very detailed discussion here, but let me describe one example.

this year, we tried something new... big-screen displays.

we used these monitors during the day to show cool riding videos, as a jumbotron to give people a close-up look at the GS Giant trials, as a ride-in theater for watching adventure DVDs at night, and at the closing ceremonies to visually support the presentation.

but what if we took better advantage of those monitors during the entire hour that people assemble for the closing ceremonies? Put up names and/or numbers of award & door prize winners & givers, sell short promo spots to advertisers, put up video clips shot during the rally, put a remote cam reporter up in the stands.

during the rally, with enough pre-planning, we could also sell time on these monitors to advertisers, show what's on the rally schedule hour by hour, and make special announcements.

all of this would not only raise funds but improve the rally goer experience.

these displays were expensive, but we *almost* covered their cost with two sponsorships. what if we had 50 sponsors? if we plan far enough out in front, we could easily do this. Ted Moyer and Chris Hughes are that good! :ha This year, the displays were a very last-minute decision. We did a lot with them, but we could have done a lot more.

This is just one example of efficiency vs. cutting corners. As you go about your planning, please think what can be done by getting double and triple duty out of things, as well as new things to do.

Which reminds me... we could really do something interesting with text messaging to rally goer's phones...... :burnout

ian

.....(snip)....all of this would not only raise funds but improve the rally goer experience.

ian

With all that extra income, we could sell beer for 10 cents! :drink

Or reduce Rally admission to $5.00! :dance

Never mind, there would still be complaints about it being too expensive, or not being able to get a day pass. :violin

it would be confusing to get into a very detailed discussion here, but let me describe one example.

we used these monitors during the day to show cool riding videos, as a jumbotron to give people a close-up look at the GS Giant trials, as a ride-in theater for watching adventure DVDs at night, and at the closing ceremonies to visually support the presentation.

but what if we took better advantage of those monitors during the entire hour that people assemble for the closing ceremonies? Put up names and/or numbers of award & door prize winners & givers, sell short promo spots to advertisers, put up video clips shot during the rally, put a remote cam reporter up in the stands.

during the rally, with enough pre-planning, we could also sell time on these monitors to advertisers, show what's on the rally schedule hour by hour, and make special announcements.

these displays were expensive, but we *almost* covered their cost with two sponsorships. what if we had 50 sponsors? if we plan far enough out in front, we could easily do this. Ted Moyer and Chris Hughes are that good! :ha This year, the displays were a very last-minute decision. We did a lot with them, but we could have done a lot more.

This is just one example of efficiency vs. cutting corners. As you go about your planning, please think what can be done by getting double and triple duty out of things, as well as new things to do.

Which reminds me... we could really do something interesting with text messaging to rally goer's phones...... :burnout

ian

GREAT IDEAS! :thumb

most harley riders feel sorry for bmw riders.......................... having both brands i can be found in the harley ranks

This is a funny thread.

Makes me want to go out and peel the badges off my bikes.

Most BMW riders & dealers really put me off.....this "better than other bikes" and "brand X" attitude really pi$$es me off.

I ride BMWs because I appreciate the Teutonic engineering and design & because I have a FANTASTIC BMW dealer. If it came down to me buying & serviceing the bikes at the typical BMW dealers I have visited I would not hesitate in walking away from the brand. I love talking to motorcyclists, but I almost run when I see a Beemer guy wlaking my way.....this is sad.

I am a member of the MOA (right now, but have quit several times) because I think the anonymous book is a very useful tool and there are a few MOA employees that I like too. Otherwise the club is chock full of elitist snobbery and idealistic smugness. I think they should kill off the national rally, based on the amount of B1tching Moaning & Whining it generates.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like all motorcycles, even the ones I would personally not care to own. I like all motorcycle riders, even the ones who's lifestyle, actions or attitude are different than mine or even hard for me to understand.

My attitude toward this makes me better than you......so there!

I hope that Richard Sheckler won't mind me sharing a thread going on right now over on the /2 yahoo email list. (Richard is a very well regarded vintage BMW restorer.)

Richard Sheckler said:
Original Post on /2 list said:
Subject: [slash2] /2 that are not restored right

Sorry I just need to say this. What is up with all these /2 for sale and there not restored right at all and there asking big money for them. Saying 100% restored and the bolts are rusted,wrong exhaust,and so on. To me they are not worth any thing at all. If you don't know how to restore a BMW right don't do it. Or better yet keep painting every part and making your bike look like that, then when I park next to u people will know what a true /2 looks like fully restored.... Sorry just had to get this off my cheast. Does anyone else feel the same way....

Only slightly, but those kinds of feelings pass quickly. Years back at a M/C shop where I worked, a customer broght in a KZ400 for tires, battery, oil change, new drive chain, and 'get it running.' When the boss arrived, (he always came in an hour after me) he called me up to the office and asked me to get started on the KZ. When I saw it, i thought I was being punished by the gods... The bike was pretty much junk. It was painted purple with a varying width yellow stripe around the Wixon frame mounted fairing. The 'artist' used regular exterior house paint and a broom to apply it. I got started with a diagnosis. It needed new or good used Kiehin carbs. The originals were shot. Fortunately, a friend in town who has a hobby of hoarding old parts had a like new pair for $90.00. Several weeks and $450.00 later, the bike ran. The timing chain was adjusted as far as it would go, and the cam was still too loose. But, it ran. I test rode it and found it to be reasonably safe for the year and model. The following Friday afternoon, the boss called me up to the office and told me to get the KZ started and warmed up, and parked on the slab out front. As I was rolling it out the door, the owner, a slight built man, about forty years old came up beside me with a grin from ear to ear. He turned to me slowly, as if childlike having to give up looking at a Christmas tree at first dawn, and said, "I painted it, I restored it. What do you think?"

I had to choose my words very carefully. I replied slowly, trying to sound impressed, "I have never seen anything like it." He nearly cried with joy, "I knew you'd like it, I knew you'd like it." I started it, he got on it and rode home. About a half hour later, the boss told me I had a phone call. It was the owner of the KZ. He told me his bike never ran as well as it does now. He said the ride home was the happiest time he could remember.

We live and learn. What I thought was a bike ready for the scrap heap turned out to be somebody else's most treasured possession. It wasn't my bike and it wasn't for me to judge whether it was beautiful or trash, or whether it was worth pouring money into. My job was simple: Install the parts the customer requested and get it running. The man saw his bike through his own eyes, and if I had said anything negative, would have robbed him of his moment of innocent happiness. RS

ian

"we could also sell time on these monitors to advertisers"

I see enough advertisements everyday, I don't want to see more....

Back