View Poll Results: How hot was it in PA?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danged hot.

13 12.50%
  • Damned hot.

22 21.15%
  • Southern fried.

15 14.42%
  • Beyond Thunderdome.

18 17.31%
  • Hotter than the freakin' flame cars.

36 34.62%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How hot was it?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    The AC installed in building is sized for the anticipitated temperatures and the number of people in the building. Both the temperature and the number of people in the buildings far exceeded the expected and couldn't keep up. The restaurants in downtown Bloomsburg had the same problem as did the restaurants I was in on the way to and from the rally. I think ACs are typically sized for a 20 degree temperature drop in areas similar to Bloomsburg.
    Thanks for the intel - no reason to dispute a thing you said.

However, these days AC is typically controlled by 'smart thermostats,' and programmed to 'stand down' to a warmer temp at night, when zero-occupancy is presumed. It then launches a 'recovery cycle' as morning approaches.

I suggest that for those four days in Bloomsburg, over-riding this feature should maybe have been a featured item on the "Holy Crap, it's HOT - Let's think outside the box" clipboard.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

There was a recovery cycle. The Education Building was delightfully cool at 8 am. Heated up in a hurry though, when they opened the doors at 9.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    However, these days AC is typically controlled by 'smart thermostats,' and programmed to 'stand down' to a warmer temp at night, when zero-occupancy is presumed. It then launches a 'recovery cycle' as morning approaches.
    I doubt they would have had smart thermostats because they would have no need for them in an occasionally used building. As Holly said, the buildings were cool in the mornings until the sun and people heated them up.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I doubt they would have had smart thermostats because they would have no need for them in an occasionally used building. As Holly said, the buildings were cool in the mornings until the sun and people heated them up.
    OK - sounds logical.

As I have said before, any criticism of a recently-held event is nothing personal - simply food for thought as to how a similar event in the future can be improved.

See you in Sedalia.

If you go on the Bloomsburg Fair Site, click on contact us, and then open rent our facility they mention about offering air conditioning in two of their buildings. I am no expert on the subject but I don't think their system could handle the excessive heat coupled with the crowd.

I know MOA doesn't like going back to the same location but the York Fair Grounds would have been a far superior choice. It's better maintain than Bloomsburg plus with their new (I believe its about 3 years old now) huge exibition center we would not have had the indoor cooling problem.

It was hot enough that I didn't go to the rally.

It was also hot enough that I have a HVAC contractor coming to my house tomorrow to give me an estimate for installing central air.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by z3guy View Post
    I know MOA doesn't like going back to the same location but the York Fair Grounds would have been a far superior choice. It's better maintain than Bloomsburg plus with their new (I believe its about 3 years old now) huge exibition center we would not have had the indoor cooling problem.
    One can only spectulate since AC was stretched thin in all Pa locals that week. York is a great venue but terrible RT 30 is the spoiler, too much traffic, strip malls and its exhausting getting away from people.........plus its too flat. I would rather ride my clutch in the Mid West than deal with higher bay humidity.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

It was so hot...

It was hot enough to boil a monkey's bum!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    I love to remember hot summer days cause when I'm snowblowing 18 inches of snow the thought keeps me warmer inside.
    You know ............. though highly polarized, this thread has remained fairly civil.

But now you've gone and used the 'S' word!

Shame on you.

Thumbs up

HOT, HOT, HOT! So much so that I left on Saturday for the "cooler weather in N FL". The Bloomsburg Fairgrounds is a great site for a Rally, lots of venders, good food/beer, and more than ample area for camping. Sometimes Mother Nature has her way despite the best efforts of our Rally planners. There was a concerted effort to provide water, sprinklers, and a misting tent to help all with the heat. My THANKS to all planners and volunteers. The ride to/from the Rally proved to me the value of "wicking under clothing" and using a Camelback while riding.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Not hot enough to make me think twice about next year.

Can't wait to see y'all in MO!

Quote Originally Posted by z3guy View Post
    If you go on the Bloomsburg Fair Site, click on contact us, and then open rent our facility they mention about offering air conditioning in two of their buildings. I am no expert on the subject but I don't think their system could handle the excessive heat coupled with the crowd.

Yes, but the York fair grounds would have been a longer commute than the Bloomsburg fair grounds for me. In addition, I just don't like York, having lived there for four years........I don't care if they do have Maple Donuts. It's a soul-less place with a Harley assembly plant.

Bloomsburg was a decent choice of location for the Rally; the weather, however, was challenging.

That's just my opinionated opinion.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Exclamation Next National

My next national will be when they are held in September

my next national will be when they are held in september
    +1

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesmontesa View Post
    My next national will be when they are held in September
    My next national will be when it is within 500 miles of my house. I don't care what month it is in. It just needs to be within a long day's ride in case of an emergency at home.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.