• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Beaded seat cushion?

smartin108

OK, after a couple of 600+ mile days for the MOA Rally, I am having a hard time sitting down. I may have to succumb to the lure of the grosse expensive aftermarket seat, but I'm soliciting opinions from those of you who ride with beaded seat cushions. They look all wrong to me, but I will remain open minded. Any comments?

I've done some 300 & 400 mile rides and found myself squirming after the first tank of gas. My current 1 up seat is a Corbin. I also have a Russell I use when 2 up. I purchased a bead seat at this years rally. I was able to ride 1000+ miles in 1 day to make it home. The beaded seat allows you to shift your weight side to side with ease. However, until you get used to the seat be careful in braking etc. I tried braking hard one time and found myself up on the tank. They are slick in the beginning so be careful. After original purchase I noticed the size was not what was needed. I rode 300 miles on the seat and took it back to the vendor and they were happy to replace it with a larger one. I have also found that riding in the heat, like at the Rally, as long as your beaded seat is wider than your Butt, you get a little air circulation under your backside. A real plus when temps go over 100 degrees. Hope this helps!

I bought one at the rally for the 1100 that my wife was riding. A companion of ours has one on her VStrom and loved it. My wife said that it made quite a difference on our ride home.

Rode with one to Alaska(400-1000mile days) and back..works great with textile type clothing where one can really squirm around on the beads to work the 'flat spots' out..:thumb

Seat

I got a $7 Walmart seat and cut it down to size. Used some fishing line to sew the end beads back on. I like the fact I don't sweat as bad with it. Some air does get down there. Easy to move around on when butt is bothering you. I dont use it in cooler weather but I find it a life saver in this heat.
Conclusion: How could 10,000 NYC taxi drivers be wrong.

Mine was $8.00

I got a $7 Walmart seat and cut it down to size. Used some fishing line to sew the end beads back on. I like the fact I don't sweat as bad with it. Some air does get down there. Easy to move around on when butt is bothering you. I dont use it in cooler weather but I find it a life saver in this heat.
Conclusion: How could 10,000 NYC taxi drivers be wrong.

I got mine at Walmart too. I ran monofilament line through the beads where I was going to cut it. I have not had heat rash since I installed it on top of my Sargent seat; over 3,000 miles this summer.

I bought a beaded seat cover at the rally and the trip home, in heat very similar to the trip there, was MUCH more comfortable. I think the air circulation makes an amazing amount of difference in the extreme heat.

Geoff

LOOOOVE my beaded seat cover, worn over stock GS saddle.

It helps avoid numb buns, keeps air circulating, keeps rain from puddling under,
and reduces cellulite. Okay, I'm not sure about the last one.

Only downside I see is that it makes the seat relatively slippery.
It can also add a bit to the seat height.
I tend to use it for long days and remove it for the twisties.

To avoid scratching or wearing off any painted surface, it is also possible to replace whatever
mounting straps and clips the manufacturer has provided with loops of plain flat waistband
elastic (black) bought at a yard good store.
Just slip the belts of elastic and bead cover around your motorcycle seat pan.

Here's a pic, I think you can see the elastic holding the beaded cover down on the seat:

16920277_d9BKd-M.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried just about everything, including an Airhawk and only found the beaded cushion to be of benefit. Every butt is different though. I started by making my own too, as a few others noted, but after finding Bead Rider at a national one year, I found it a lot easier to just buy it. A friend showed me her ceramic bead version...very nice! I went from a 600+ mile day to 1,000 mile day just by adding the beaded cushion. Your enemies are: heat, pressure, and moisture. The beaded cushion provides air flow, keeping you cooler, and shifts pressure points as you move around on it, both help reduce moisture:) Add a little monkey butt powder and you're all set!

worth a try

For me, they did not solve the issue that my stock '05 RT seat sucked. They improved the comfort marginally, but it was not enough for me. The airflow is great, though. It seems as though your current seat treats you better than my stock did me, so the beads may be all you need to solve your problem. They're cheap, so it's worth a try!

I ride 12,000 miles a year in all types of weather here in Seattle. I got the BeadRider because my stock seat has a tear in it and I could afford a strip of Gorilla Tape and a BeadRider, but not a new seat. That was three years ago.

I love it. People make fun of my "Pakistani cab driver seat cushion", but it keeps me cool when it's hot and dry when it's wet. In fact, that last bit is the best thing about the BeadRider - it keeps my butt a fraction of an inch above the water that can collect in my saddle, and lets that water drain out through the gaps between the beads.

It really lets you move around on the seat, making it easy to find a comfortable position - and wiggle out of an uncomfortable position. It took me about a week to get used to the slightly higher riding position and having less friction under my butt. Now I'm sure it would feel weird to ride without one.

Lately it's begun to unravel. I've lost two beads as the time and weather have taken their toll on the monofilament line used to hold it all together. In the meantime, I just tie the loose ends off and it keeps on going.

Some day I'll break down and spend the $500 to have my seat remade by Rich here in Washington, but until then, I'll be happy and comfortable and cool and dry on my BeadRider.

seat cover

I have looked at several options and wondered. Beads vs Sheepskin vs Air Hawk. Wondering how they compare. Any experiences out there?

I have both the sheepskin and beads. In the heat the beads win. In the cooler months I lean towards the skin, but not by much.

For my larger than average arse, an aftermarket seat was far superior than any aftermarket fix on a standard BMW seat.

Good luck!:wave

Last edited:
I have looked at several options and wondered. Beads vs Sheepskin vs Air Hawk. Wondering how they compare. Any experiences out there?

You have to try for yourself. I preferred airhawk, sheep, and beads in that order, but really didn't like any of them. My fix was Russell.

I heard that Airhawks were at one point being stolen from parked bikes, I don't know if
this is still the case?

You have to try for yourself. I preferred airhawk, sheep, and beads in that order, but really didn't like any of them. My fix was Russell.

Same here, after much $$$ spent on the Airhawk, Beads, and Sheepskin, I bought a Russell and never looked back. :thumb:thumb:thumb

Beaded seat

Thanks for all the great feedback. Does anyone know if the ceramic beads are less slick than the wood ones?

I originally purchased the wood Bead Rider several years back and have been very happy with it. However, the paint rubbed off and I didn't trust spray painting it as I thought the paint may rub off onto my riding gear, so I bought the ceramic Bead Rider at Bloomsberg last month. I don't think there is much (or any) difference between the two models as far as slipperiness. The ceramic one feels a bit softer on the butt (I think because of a minor difference in shape), will look better in the long run, and doesn't absorb water like the wood one does after the paint wears off. However, the ceramic heats up a lot more if you leave your bike parked in the sun for any length of time. It takes about five or ten minutes before it cools down. I usually just leave my jacket covering the seat if I can't park in the shade.

Back